• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^It should by any measure be episode 20 not 21. Even the prior review was 19.

Whoops. Fix'd.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
Quote:
Atsushi's theory that the Agency and the Port Mafia ought to join forces to push out the Guild isn't unexpected, and will likely come to fruition if only to work through the numerous parallel character developments taking place, but it feels like a good plan regardless.

Dazai's backstory is still my favourite part of this show and i gotta admit that i was pretty disappointed once the show went back to the main story...that being said, i can't deny that the prospect of an Agency/Port Mafia alliance is getting me a tad bit excited. Cool
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Shades of Naruto and Kurama. Smile
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this isn't the last we've seen of Lovecraft. The show's been pretty meticulous about naming and explaining abilities, so I'd be surprised if Lovecraft didn't come back later since his power was never really explained.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peebs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
he's not so much “gifted” as “actually Cthulhu

While watching this scene, I briefly wondered what Rebecca would say about the episode. I was looking forward to reading it. The review did not disappoint and neither did episode 21.
Bluuumeee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
About Alcott's characterisation...well, Beth was pretty shy, wasn't she? I tend to think of Bungo's version as "Beth's personality + references to Jo's love for writing", with an anime twist.

If BSD was faithful and characterised their version of Alcott after the real deal (or Jo, by extension), I imagine she'd be a bit like Higuchi, who's the closest to being a tomboy in the series.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the show is mostly focusing on Dazai, he makes for a more interesting lead than Atsushi, who comes across as bit(and I hate to have to us this word)generic.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Poe's death is still kind of contested, I'm in the camp that he was a victim of "cooping" (where you're kidnapped, drugged, and forced to vote over and over for a particular candidate). He also could have easily been bitten by something carrying rabies too.

As for the raccoon, I honestly don't know why that's there. He did have a cat that was said to hang out on his shoulders though. The only instance I was able to find of Poe having a pet raccoon is from the John Cusack movie "The Raven" where he has a pet raccoon.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I was afraid the 3-way conflict involving the Agency, the Guild and the Port Mafia would end inconclusively, but it all seems to be building up to a powerful climax. By the way, Poe's middle name is "Allan", not "Allen".
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I never do get that spelling right, probably because my dad's middle name is "Alan." Embarassed

Honestly, my first thought about the raccoon was that it was some sort of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun joke.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Do the Japanese imagine North Americans have the same sort of lore regarding raccoons as they do about tanuki?

I don't think Poe knew Ranpo isn't "Gifted." I think he just assumed the glasses activate his Gift, like the phone can activate Kyouko's. Just like what Ranpo thinks.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Loved this episode. Definitely has a climatic vibe going, and I love the way it parallels the end of last season, Akutagawa and Atsushi working side by side instead of against each other. The only problem I had was how late in the game Fitz's motivation was revealed. If it's an attempt to make him slightly more sympathetic and complex, they should have foreshadowed it earlier, maybe with another call to Zelda, or hinted at the resurrective powers of this so called book- which the Port Mafia boss has probably had all this time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
Ep 24,

Best part was akutagawa passing out after being praised by his senpai heh, I think he was crying too. That and lovecraft going to sleep, Cthulhu needs his nap time.

I was wondering if they would actually kill Kyouka, but I figured since they made such a big deal about the test and her willingness to sacrifice herself for others that she would get out of it somehow. I thought she was going to learn to control her power herself but I guess not.

Anyway, good season, it's passed the english translated manga so I don't know if they plan to continue it from here.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Another season of reading list fanfiction down & I'm still waiting for Yukio Mishima to make a cameo. I know he won't (post-war author & all that), but I just want to see it. He'd be well suited to a show mostly about boys fighting & angsting with each other.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Best part was akutagawa passing out after being praised by his senpai heh,

I thought he passed out because he was running on the fumes of his Gift and Dazai nullified it when he touched him. So I wasn't even sure if he registered the praise.

I think this is a series I'd enjoy more the second time through, now that I'm more familiar with the characters and less would fly over my head, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it. That said, I'd be happy to see another season of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12