• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Posts 1st Photo of Scarlett Johansson as the Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
A movie of this expense would naturally aim at making a story more palatable for a global audience and the sci-fi/philosophical elements are universal to all.

So making the main cast white and setting it in the US makes it more globally palatable? oO
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If one wants to understand why Hollywood's casting of Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi and their Westernizing of Ghost in the Shell is a detrimental, regressive concept, look no further than Asian comic writer Jon Tsuei.

Well, one can make the same criticism of Seven Samurai and other Japanese films adapted for American/Western audiences. I would think that the main point of GitS was that it was a reflection of Japan's transformation in a period of few decades from a poor technologically backward country to the world's richest and most technologically advanced nation by the early 1990's. With the prospect/fear of cyberization drawing closer (I would say for a Japanese in the early 1990's it would appear that robotic bodies could be commonplace in a few decades).

Now GitS appears to be quite outdated in some ways (Japan lost it's brief economic and technological leadership to China/USA) but overall it's even more clear now the trends that film first put. While it's true we are still far away from coming to the point of physically fusing our bodies with machines it's still true that society has been moving in that direction in a more subtle manner (for instance people talk to each other more these days on the internet than face to face).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
I never see people blaming the Japanese. After all they're the ones that have sold the rights to Hollywood. The reality is that the Japanese simply do not have the infrastructure to make films that cost hundreds of milions of dollars, don't have the capacity to market them to a world wide audience. They're simply out of their league. So the conundrum is either make low quality live action films based on anime that are relatively unknown even in Japan let alone the rest of the world, or appeal to Hollywood to make the big splash.

There is a lot of Japanese/Asian live action manga adaptations. Many of them are great. Examples? Kamikaze Girls is an adaption of a light novel which was also adapted into a shoujo manga, excellent film overall. Another good one is Gantz, well, at least I liked that one about a Roman architect visiting modern Japan, really great stuff.

Quote:
So when it comes to anime adaptations of anime properties I will give much more trust to Hollywood than the Japanese film industry.

Not sure. That depends on the persons involved more than anything but overall I would expect a lower degree of faithfulness in Western adaptations because they need to be, well, westernized.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jdnation wrote:
A movie of this expense would naturally aim at making a story more palatable for a global audience and the sci-fi/philosophical elements are universal to all.

So making the main cast white and setting it in the US makes it more globally palatable? oO

Actually, looking at the cast, and the ideas, I'm expecting this to be a international team, under the jursidiction of the UN.

And as for the main cast being "white"... Here's what we have announced so far:

1 American (Danish/Ashkenazi Jewish decent)
1 French (who is a brand-new character to boot)
1 Danish
3 Japanese
1 Singaporean
1 London-born, but grew up in Turkey and Yemen (appearance and name appears to be Middle Eastern in origin)
1 black Australian
1 Zimbabwean

So, 30% are white, and only 10% is American... And 30% are Japanese.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
And as for the main cast being "white"... Here's what we have announced so far:

1 American (Danish/Ashkenazi Jewish decent)
1 French (who is a brand-new character to boot)
1 Danish
3 Japanese
1 Singaporean
1 London-born, but grew up in Turkey and Yemen (appearance and name appears to be Middle Eastern in origin)
1 black Australian
1 Zimbabwean

So, 30% are white, and only 10% is American... And 30% are Japanese.

While I'm a bit satisfied that minority actors have gotten representation of some sort in the "supporters" tier, it still doesn't change the fact that a white actor was cast as a lead persona of Japanese origin in a Japanese-centered live-action film.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Real people are real people and what they are named is no ones business but their own. (And people with one Japanese parent would still be ethnically Japanese, no matter what they look like). Major Kusanagi is a fictional person and her name is given to her to reflect her role in the story. It makes absolutely no sense to change her ethnicity and the setting without also changing her name, and if the Major in this film adaption really is supposed to be only part-Japanese, then they should still have gotten an actress that fits the role.

This would only make sense if they were keeping the setting precisely intact. Liberties can be taken and make sense if a new context is provided.

Quote:
To my knowledge, Scarlett isn't even slightly Asian, so why exactly do you think it would be more ok for her to play an biracial character with a Japanese name than just a Japanese character with a Japanese name?

I would be perfectly happy with maintaining the ethnicity. But if there are perfectly valid reasons to compromise that and it is cleverly compensated for then I am fine with that too. As I and others here have posted, there are practical reasons why adaptations of originally foreign content for local markets uses local casts.

If you really wanted to be super-authentic then it you might as well argue that the language the film should be shot in should also be Japanese and subtitled for no reason other than to maintain its cultural heritage. But I never see anybody who argues for the all-Japanese cast also argue to make the film entirely in Japanese too. Or does language not count any more? Especially given that there is precedent where forcibly irradicating a people's language is also seen as imperialistic? And this can be as bad an accusation as white-washing the cast?

But nobody argues for a maintenance of a complete Japanese language film by a Hollywood production. Why? Because it's more convenient to have it in the dominant language of the culture you're making it for, which speaks English. Likewise, if one is going to drop the language, and even avoid culturally specific idioms or habits or phrases foreign to the audience, then for the same reasons they replace the cast to accommodate for the same audience.

As audiences and the cultural landscape changes we see more leeway. Now it's not unheard of to see more films with a more ethnically diverse cast and even a mix of languages to add authenticity to predominantly English films, or even made-up ones. Heck, if Mel Gibson could make the Passion of the Christ is Aramaic and Koine Greek and Latin, and have it be a smashing success, then there's room for such chances given the right subject matter and the right people. But by and large that was the exception and not the rule.

Quote:
At the end of the day, all this talk about how she could totally be in a different body or how history could have gone down in this universe, are really just overcomplicated excuses for white casting, when simply casting an Asian actor would be much simpler.

But it's not simpler! Just because you want to casually dismiss the fact that audiences gravitate more easily to things they know and understand which are more conveniently served to them, and the fact that films of this sort are expensive and therefore more risky and thus a studio will want to make something as broadly appealing as possible, means they are going to take the easy way out and try and strike the best balance.

Not to mention that there is a lack of talent of Asian actors/actresses available. This doesn't mean they do not exist entirely, but in the real world there are conflicts of interest, maybe the available and good Asian actors/actresses weren't interested. Maybe they would rather do something they think is better for their career than work on a geek action film that for all we know might not have a great script. Maybe the film needs to be shot during such and such time of year and there's nobody available due to scheduling conflicts. The idea that Hollywood is simply out to screw Asians just-because they are Asian is dumb-foundingly stupid.

Quote:
As for how I feel about minorities taking western names? Not great honestly, but I doubt it is for the reasons you wanted to hear. See, when minorities give their children western names, it is usually because they feel they have to in order to assimilate into another culture and avoid discrimination.

Being one of those minority people with a Western name I can assure you this is certainly not always the case.

Quote:
When westerners give their children names that they have no cultural ties to it tends to be because they think it sounds exotic or cool and because they can. I'm no more thrilled about a situation that makes minorities feel like they can't embrace their heritage than I am of majorities using other cultures as decoration. The context in this situation changes drastically when we go from talking about majorities to minorities

And who gets to decide why this is a good or bad thing? You? Some random committee of cultural appropriation marxists? I would say that this is a pretty narrow prejudiced view. You argue for two contradictory things - You want Western Film Industries to have more diversity in their roles and have more Western Audiences get used to that diversity - yet at the same time you blatantly condemn and look down on any open-ness on the part of cultures to get along with and even adopt the cultures of others, even if done for reasons you personally find un-kosher. Why not just go the extra mile and say that Hollywood should only make movies about American people and American culture and that the Japanese film industry must only make films about Japan and Japanese culture and neither side should ever try to make anything that involves diverse casts or storylines outside of their cultural heritage and expertise?

Does anime or manga that sets it characters or story in the West or western fantasy themes be because of heritage-envy? Or shame of their own heritage? I hope you can see that this is simply nonsense.

Quote:
And all of this is kind of secondary to the fact that they should have kept the casting non-white because there are far too few movies with PoC casts right now.

And why do you think that is? Actually we've come a long way to seeing more diverse casting in various projects happening quite naturally before all this racially-sensitive-brouhaha. Given enough time we will eventually see precisely what you want as more globally people begin to connect with each other and more easily share and digest each other's media.

Quote:
Whatever reasoning they can come up with for why it makes sense to whitewash this movie doesn't change the fact that they still shouldn't have done it for that reason alone.

'Shouldn't'? Clearly they can and are doing so. Many see why it makes sense for them to do so and don't have a problem with it. That 'reason alone' simply isn't good enough to compensate for a production of such expense for the market into which it is currently being localized for, in a language that the people of that market speak.

For the same reason there is no problem if Japan were to adapt Western material and set it in Tokyo with an all-Japanese cast. Whether that end product on either side is better for it is another story altogether. The facts are that their reasoning is justifiable and not due to some knee-jerk prejudice against the Japanese.

Quote:
If the story really is supposed to be universal, then keeping the cast Japanese makes just as much sense as whitewashing it, unless they just think white people are just more "universal". There was never a reason to do this in the first place.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Given the predominance of Hollywood films, recognized first and foremost for their quality, and that Western culture and American/English media and products and clothing and food and finance and celebrities have far more exposure and adoption and recognition in other world markets - YES - the all-white cast and English language film is FAR MORE UNIVERSAL than the Japanese equivalent. All this is why if you're putting money on the line to make a very expensive heavy FX-driven film, you will want to make it as widely accessible as you can, especially with your primary market in mind.

Quote:
In short, this has been a giant exercise in false equivalence.

No, it is economics 101 and dealing with reality without devolving every decision down to "because racism."
ChaosTheory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It's strange to me to read so many people saying how 'japanese-centric' GITS is.. which I've never remotely considered one of my all-time favorite series as being. I've considered it to have a western feel if anything. I've gone through the series a few times too..
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ChaosTheory wrote:
It's strange to me to read so many people saying how 'japanese-centric' GITS is.. which I've never remotely considered one of my all-time favorite series as being. I've considered it to have a western feel if anything. I've gone through the series a few times too..

There's one subtle notion that does make Ghost in the Shell uniquely Japanese-centered: the fact that it debuted around the time Japan was seen as the leading country worldwide in technology.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
And that is no longer the case today, while other themes of transhumanism and societal boundaries are still relevant.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

This would only make sense if they were keeping the setting precisely intact. Liberties can be taken and make sense if a new context is provided.

What? You aren't making any sense. I just said that it makes no sense to keep the Japanese name of the character while removing all Japanese context, and the you just say the exact same thing. They haven't given any new context and that is exactly the problem (or one of them anyway). They just give us this western woman in a western setting and then act as if it is totally logical for her to have a Japanese name.

Quote:
I would be perfectly happy with maintaining the ethnicity. But if there are perfectly valid reasons to compromise that and it is cleverly compensated for then I am fine with that too. As I and others here have posted, there are practical reasons why adaptations of originally foreign content for local markets uses local casts.

No, you tried to give an explanation, and I didn't buy it.

Quote:
If you really wanted to be super-authentic then it you might as well argue that the language the film should be shot in should also be Japanese and subtitled for no reason other than to maintain its cultural heritage. But I never see anybody who argues for the all-Japanese cast also argue to make the film entirely in Japanese too. Or does language not count any more? Especially given that there is precedent where forcibly irradicating a people's language is also seen as imperialistic? And this can be as bad an accusation as white-washing the cast?

But nobody argues for a maintenance of a complete Japanese language film by a Hollywood production. Why? Because it's more convenient to have it in the dominant language of the culture you're making it for, which speaks English. Likewise, if one is going to drop the language, and even avoid culturally specific idioms or habits or phrases foreign to the audience, then for the same reasons they replace the cast to accommodate for the same audience.

As audiences and the cultural landscape changes we see more leeway. Now it's not unheard of to see more films with a more ethnically diverse cast and even a mix of languages to add authenticity to predominantly English films, or even made-up ones. Heck, if Mel Gibson could make the Passion of the Christ is Aramaic and Koine Greek and Latin, and have it be a smashing success, then there's room for such chances given the right subject matter and the right people. But by and large that was the exception and not the rule.

You are doing that false equivalence thing again. Shooting a movie in the local language is very different from removing every aspect of the original culture.

Quote:
But it's not simpler! Just because you want to casually dismiss the fact that audiences gravitate more easily to things they know and understand which are more conveniently served to them, and the fact that films of this sort are expensive and therefore more risky and thus a studio will want to make something as broadly appealing as possible, means they are going to take the easy way out and try and strike the best balance.

Which would make them cowards. Trust me, I get not wanting to take risks, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be criticized for that decision.

Quote:
Not to mention that there is a lack of talent of Asian actors/actresses available. This doesn't mean they do not exist entirely, but in the real world there are conflicts of interest, maybe the available and good Asian actors/actresses weren't interested. Maybe they would rather do something they think is better for their career than work on a geek action film that for all we know might not have a great script. Maybe the film needs to be shot during such and such time of year and there's nobody available due to scheduling conflicts. The idea that Hollywood is simply out to screw Asians just-because they are Asian is dumb-foundingly stupid.

So let me get this straight. Your latest excuse is that it would just be too hard for the poor studio to hire one of the myriad of talented Asian actresses looking for a job, so instead they went with Scarlett Johansson, one of the most famous, sought-after, busiest and expensive actresses in Hollywood? Are you even hearing yourself? Never mind how hard it would be to get Johansson compared to most other actresses, the suggestion that there is a lack of Asian talent with the time to work on a big-budget production is not only ridiculous (Asian and other PoC actors generally have a much harder time getting jobs statistically), but kind of a textbook example of casual racism. See, pretty much no one complaining about this thinks that Hollywood is actively out to "screw over" anyone. Racism in the industry takes the form of a whole lot of assumptions. Assuming that no one will be interested in a story about Japanese people, that no one will pay to see Japanese actors because they are less famous, that western stories are just more relatable and so on.

Quote:
Being one of those minority people with a Western name I can assure you this is certainly not always the case.

Good for you. Doesn't change my point though.

Quote:
And who gets to decide why this is a good or bad thing?

Preeeeetty sure that anyone with a working moral compass thinks it is bad when people have to leave behind parts of their culture to be treated with respect.

Quote:
You? Some random committee of cultural appropriation marxists?

I'm very tempted to just drop this right now on account of you using the term "marxist" unironically.

Quote:
I would say that this is a pretty narrow prejudiced view. You argue for two contradictory things - You want Western Film Industries to have more diversity in their roles and have more Western Audiences get used to that diversity - yet at the same time you blatantly condemn and look down on any open-ness on the part of cultures to get along with and even adopt the cultures of others, even if done for reasons you personally find un-kosher. Why not just go the extra mile and say that Hollywood should only make movies about American people and American culture and that the Japanese film industry must only make films about Japan and Japanese culture and neither side should ever try to make anything that involves diverse casts or storylines outside of their cultural heritage and expertise?

Again, false equivalence in order to construct a strawman. A Western studio can certainly make a remake of a Eastern story, and in their own language, but please stop acting as if that is the same thing as stripping away pretty much everything that grounded that story in its original culture to begin with. Or barring that, the least you could do is stop pretending that doing so is respecting the original culture. Taking a white actress and putting her in a Western setting while pretending that she represents Japanese people just because they kept the name is not "getting along" or "adopting" another culture.

Quote:
Does anime or manga that sets it characters or story in the West or western fantasy themes be because of heritage-envy? Or shame of their own heritage? I hope you can see that this is simply nonsense.

Again, reaching really far there.

Quote:
And why do you think that is? Actually we've come a long way to seeing more diverse casting in various projects happening quite naturally before all this racially-sensitive-brouhaha. Given enough time we will eventually see precisely what you want as more globally people begin to connect with each other and more easily share and digest each other's media.

So why are you bitching at people just for wanting to help that process along?

Quote:
'Shouldn't'? Clearly they can and are doing so.

Um, yeah? That's exactly what I said. "Can" and "should" mean different things buddy.

Quote:
Many see why it makes sense for them to do so and don't have a problem with it. That 'reason alone' simply isn't good enough to compensate for a production of such expense for the market into which it is currently being localized for, in a language that the people of that market speak.

So again, why should we not criticize them for caring more about making slightly more money than adapting the material faithfully or showing basic respect to the culture it came from?

Quote:
For the same reason there is no problem if Japan were to adapt Western material and set it in Tokyo with an all-Japanese cast. Whether that end product on either side is better for it is another story altogether. The facts are that their reasoning is justifiable and not due to some knee-jerk prejudice against the Japanese.

Again, context. It matters.

Quote:
Given the predominance of Hollywood films, recognized first and foremost for their quality, and that Western culture and American/English media and products and clothing and food and finance and celebrities have far more exposure and adoption and recognition in other world markets - YES - the all-white cast and English language film is FAR MORE UNIVERSAL than the Japanese equivalent. All this is why if you're putting money on the line to make a very expensive heavy FX-driven film, you will want to make it as widely accessible as you can, especially with your primary market in mind.

Oh boy, more casual racism.

Yes, Western culture is more widespread and more recognizable than most (because of imperialism).
No, that does not make Western culture more universal or relatable to anyone who isn't a westerner. It just means that people are more used to seeing them because the West keeps feeding it to them. This is one of those assumptions that make up most racism I spoke of earlier. You are so convinced that white people are the norm just because other white people keep telling you we are.

Quote:
No, it is economics 101 and dealing with reality without devolving every decision down to "because racism."

You seem to be under the impression that you can completely separate those two concepts. You are mistaken.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
What? You aren't making any sense. I just said that it makes no sense to keep the Japanese name of the character while removing all Japanese context, and the you just say the exact same thing. They haven't given any new context and that is exactly the problem (or one of them anyway). They just give us this western woman in a western setting and then act as if it is totally logical for her to have a Japanese name.

Have you watched the film already? Well then I guess you already know what they doing? Did you write the script?

I and others have provided examples of how they can make it work. If they just plopped ScarJo in there and called her Motko without any other context then yes, I'd agree with you that that would be weird and stupid.

Quote:
No, you tried to give an explanation, and I didn't buy it.

What you are into buying is your own personal business. Guess what? Other people buy things that you may not like. Deal with it.

Quote:
You are doing that false equivalence thing again. Shooting a movie in the local language is very different from removing every aspect of the original culture.

Nope, it's perfectly apt to the discussion. A product is being made for a specific market, and is being localized to best suit that market based on a license for a work from a foreign culture. This means that just as one can change the language, and also eliminate certain cultural things that would only make sense to the people of the original culture; then everything is up for grabs, whether it's changing the setting entirely, or even the cast's ethnicity, or eliminating characters or themes entirely altogether. How much is left of the original depends on keeping only those things that would maintain semblance to the original while being accommodate to the localized market. Language is just as much a part of culture. So are things like honorifics, phrases, quotes, proverbs, catch phrases etc. All these are just as distinct to a culture as are landmarks, political structures, philosophies, history etc. We already make concessions for all this. The same can be true for the characters themselves. If they are going to eliminate all the distinctly Japanese things, and 'white-wash' all of that, then why does it make a big difference if this is cosmetically covered over by having an Asian cast member doing and saying 'white' things and acting like a white person? So just staring at an Asian face suddenly makes all of this okay? Really? Let's just highlight this for what it is. inconsistent outrage attempting to masquerade as caring about the plight of poor Asian people who for some reason need white-run Hollywood to help them by staking money on risky ventures.

Quote:
Which would make them cowards. Trust me, I get not wanting to take risks, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be criticized for that decision.

Cowardice? Really? How much money have you put down to help represent other people? Are you going to give up your job? Start your own studio? Then release your films free for charity? These are all simply logical business decisions. I don't recall any news articles where Production I.G. signed over the rights to make a Hollywood GITS movie being incumbent on the need for American Movie Studio to help provide for the needs of the poor starving Japanese people living out there in the desert where nobody knows they exist.

Sure you can be critical all you want from an artistic perspective. But let's not pretend this is any kind of noble moral crusade. The studio is nowhere obligated to risk money just to assuage the feelings of a minority with no purchasing power, particularly when they're not doing anything wrong. One day that will change as the audience demographics change, and studios will happily cater to the audiences of tomorrow.

Quote:
So let me get this straight. Your latest excuse is that it would just be too hard for the poor studio to hire one of the myriad of talented Asian actresses looking for a job, so instead they went with Scarlett Johansson, one of the most famous, sought-after, busiest and expensive actresses in Hollywood?

Who said anything about money being an issue where hiring an actress is concerned? The issue is that the scale of the budget is such that they need to make a significant profit, and when you're putting enough money in then you need something there to guarantee the best return, this means further investments and money spent on the right cast and advertising. A celebrity like Scarlet Johansson who already has pull with the right audiences thanks to her Marvel gigs, and is a known quantity is far more feasible than a lesser known Asian star.

Quote:
Are you even hearing yourself? Never mind how hard it would be to get Johansson compared to most other actresses, the suggestion that there is a lack of Asian talent with the time to work on a big-budget production is not only ridiculous (Asian and other PoC actors generally have a much harder time getting jobs statistically), but kind of a textbook example of casual racism.

And these 'myriads' of other Asian actresses have the big-name pull of Scarlet Johansson? The ones that are close to being household names are few and far between, and the last time they were given a big tentpole film they were criticized for being the wrong Asian ethnicity (Memoirs of a Geisha). And guess what? the few that do have some clout are very much in demand. Ken Watanabe doesn't need to worry about getting work. His plate is booked for a good while. Whether any of those roles make him the leading man is another story.

Oh, I'm sure there are many lesser known Asian local casts that would LOVE to get the role. But they won't for the reasons specified above. The studio undoubtedly, with casting ScarJo and the big boom on superhero geek franchises wants not to make some artistic one-off movie for the indie circuit, but potentially launch a blockbuster franchise; one where they can pump out more GITS movies over the next decade than Japan ever did in 20+ years. They are not going to risk that venture going down the tube for any frivolous reasons. So let's face the music here - the primary draw of GITS where the American market is concerned is that it has action, special effects and robots. Secondary to that will be story themes of sci-fi, techno-phobia, surveillance state, terrorism, cyborgization etc. Dead last on that list of priorities is that it be about specifically Japanese themes, be set in Japan or necessarily star Japanese people.

This has NOTHING to do with racism or a nonsense category like 'casual racism.' You are either a racist person, or you aren't. And the textbook racist is someone who wants to eliminate or deprive God-given rights from a specific group of people for no reason other than that they inherently belong to a group of people defined primarily by physical appearance. This is about localizing the content of a foreign franchise to the wider tastes of a domestic one for the primary purposes of ENTERTAINMENT. Asian cast members were not deprived of a role because they were Asian and Hollywood hates Asian-looking people. The role was altered to appeal to the wider domestic market with a person with far better market pull whom people know, recognize and pay attention to in order to make money in that market.

Quote:
See, pretty much no one complaining about this thinks that Hollywood is actively out to "screw over" anyone. Racism in the industry takes the form of a whole lot of assumptions. Assuming that no one will be interested in a story about Japanese people, that no one will pay to see Japanese actors because they are less famous, that western stories are just more relatable and so on.

Not no-one. But certainly not enough people. Sadly that remains the case. There is not enough time in the world for everything. Lots of things are competing for people's time. Hollywood is one of those things. At the end of the day, the majority of people outside of geekdom don't know or care what Ghost in the Shell is. They will see a trailer or a movie poster. They will draw conclusions based on their experience and biases. ScarJo is someone they know. ScarJo is associated with one of the biggest most successful film franchises in the world. People had a good time in that film. They figure they will have a good time with Ghost in the Shell because they are also ASSUMING she would associate herself with something just as good as those other movies she was in. It's marketing. The same reason fashion and deodorant ads associate themselves with good looking well known people.

Now replace ScarJo with a lesser known Asian star, and you get a lesser reaction. Not that many people know them. Maybe they were previously in something that wasn't so great because that's all they could get. Maybe people in the West, spoiled by the quality of Hollywood's output aren't thrilled by the FX work of foreign films who don't have the budget of Hollywood studios. So when they see a movie with a cast of unknowns they either have a bad association or just don't know what to think and Hey! Look over there! There's another movie playing with something they can relate to!

It's just psychology. It's also certainly a catch-22 for Asian casts. They just have to keep working their way up, or Asian stars in other parts of the world need to start getting better at English and branching out. But why do that when you are revered in your own country with leading roles to take a chance with lesser roles in foreign films for audiences that don't know who you are? I certainly wouldn't deprive anyone form trying, but it's also understandable if they don't care to be in Hollywood and maintain their local careers.

Quote:
Preeeeetty sure that anyone with a working moral compass thinks it is bad when people have to leave behind parts of their culture to be treated with respect.

Hardly. If I were to move to Japan, then I'd have to acclimatize myself to their culture, language and way of doing things if I want to survive there. I don't make demands on them to change to accommodate me. That is their country and I can either make the best of it or not. If they can't pronounce my name correctly due to perfectly normal pronunciation problems, then I'll try to make do or take on an easier nickname.

Quote:
I'm very tempted to just drop this right now on account of you using the term "marxist" unironically.

Why?

Quote:
Again, false equivalence in order to construct a strawman. A Western studio can certainly make a remake of a Eastern story, and in their own language, but please stop acting as if that is the same thing as stripping away pretty much everything that grounded that story in its original culture to begin with.

See my above reply to you about why this is not a false equivalence.

Quote:
Or barring that, the least you could do is stop pretending that doing so is respecting the original culture. Taking a white actress and putting her in a Western setting while pretending that she represents Japanese people just because they kept the name is not "getting along" or "adopting" another culture.

Here's a strawman. Because I never claimed any of this is about "respecting the original culture." Everything I've said is about adapting a foreign product to a domestic market, which means stripping away things such as language, mannerisms, references, and even themes, setting and characters if it serves as an impediment to the wider domestic market. I never said Scarjo "represents Japanese people", only that if there was a compromise to be made then GITS' setting allowed for it if ScarJo was to keep the Japanese name. What I said is that this doesn't make it racism or some underhanded conspiracy to keep Asian people out of Hollywood.

Quote:
Again, reaching really far there.

Nope, please explain why you are perfectly happy with your inconsistent approach to what Hollywood does and what Japan does.

Quote:
So why are you bitching at people just for wanting to help that process along?

Because you are leveling charges of racism and prejudiced conspiracy against Asian people by Hollywood because they are adapting foreign material for a domestic market and gave the lead role to a domestic actress that matches the audience demographic.

Quote:
So again, why should we not criticize them for caring more about making slightly more money than adapting the material faithfully or showing basic respect to the culture it came from?

Slightly more? How about a lot more? Again, if you think you know better and that they've got a shot, you've still got time now to call up the studio to pull the plug and fully finance the film and take the risk upon yourself and make the casting decisions. That way you could fully respect the culture to your own preconceived standards. I'll certainly watch it. So you've got one guaranteed ticket sale already.

And really? How much culture is there where robo-girls shooting robo-tanks throught he internet in the future is that specific to Japan? How much cultural ratio needs to be maintained to be respectful? And will the audiences of your domestic market understand it? And again, if you want to respect the culture fully, then why draw the line at the language? Why not have it Japanese/subtitled to better capture the nuances? Wouldn't that also better accomodate getting actual Japanese cast members local to Japan who live and breath Japanese culture to come on board your film and contribute? Given you want to be accurate and all?

Quote:
Again, context. It matters.

Then please deliver that context and tell us why it works for this place but not the other? Are the Japanese somehow incapable? Are Japanese audiences not as 'casually racist' as American ones? Are Japanese studios less risk averse and willing to avoid the 'slightly more' profit for nobler reasons? C'mon man. The reasons these are done are purely practical ones. People associate better with what they know. The people looking for things specifically different are few. That's human nature. Not disrespect for other cultural works and certainly not racism.

Quote:
Oh boy, more casual racism.

Tell that to all those other cultures! Especially the Japanese. All who can't get enough of that fine American export - Hollywood Movies - which often make more money than their own local films. Must be a lot of self-hating casual racists out there! How about trying to live in the world that is, instead of the world you imagine?

Quote:
Yes, Western culture is more widespread and more recognizable than most (because of imperialism).

Because the great nation of Japan and elsewhere never had any imperialistic ambitions of their own! Too bad they didn't win, otherwise now we could all be watching films with primarily Japanese casts and complaining that white people don't get enough roles and visibility. There would probably certainly be more anime.

Quote:
No, that does not make Western culture more universal or relatable to anyone who isn't a westerner. It just means that people are more used to seeing them because the West keeps feeding it to them.

Yeah, just look at all those people in China, India and elsewhere being taken at gunpoint to the local theater to watch Star Wars and Transformers and then force-fed American hamburgers. C'mon now... you've officially lost it man!

You answered your own question. People are used to seeing them. They continue to bring them over and make money because people there still like seeing them. English is the dominant lingua-franca too thanks to this and even out of necessity for anyone who wants do do finance and to get American jobs off-shored to them.

Quote:
This is one of those assumptions that make up most racism I spoke of earlier. You are so convinced that white people are the norm just because other white people keep telling you we are.

This is the most bizarre thing I've seen from you. And you keep using that word 'racism' but it does not mean what you think it means. Where are all the white people over in other nations pushing around the Japanese, the Chinese and the Indians and Africans just because they... want other people to get to know them a little better? So much so that Chinese investors actually invest in American content now???

No, here's the real world facts. People around the world are used to seeing and enjoy American made movies starring white people. They learn about America through these mediums. Even World News usually revolves around some good or bad things America does. This also includes American franchises from fashion to food. However it happened whether by chance or a happy outcome of post-war reconstruction, the fact is it's there and American films with white actors are watched by a millions of people worldwide. it is not some racist conspiracy. Hence why An American Studio can take a Japanese property, pick and choose what cultural elements it wants to keep, make the lead role a white girl, and not only will it appeal more broadly to their own domestic market, it will appeal to markets abroad who are used to expecting American-made action movies to star American people who are either white or even black.

Quote:
You seem to be under the impression that you can completely separate those two concepts. You are mistaken.

The onus is on you to prove this is indeed the case here. You haven't. You've leveled charges based on preconceived prejudices you hold and ignore and dismiss other concerns as 'casual racism.' The fact is a decision was made based on market demographics, risk/reward and all their complexities. Not because "original character is Asian = therefore she must be replaced because we hate them for who they physically and culturally are." So unless you have specific evidence to the contrary that everyone involved in the casting process was driven by deliberate & absolute racism, then you simply have no grounds for calling out the crew of the American GITS for practices universal to global film studios catering to their own domestic markets for reasons that are entirely reasonable and practical.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
In this thread, I expect some of you to write up an essay answering the question:

Why white people should not be allowed to cosplay anime characters? Cool Razz

Much of the knee jerk reaction right now is to the picture and how ScarJo is projected to look for the part. Some reaction did occur upon the announcement of ScarJo getting the role several months ago. But the picture pretty much created an "explosive reaction".
Andre Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I just love sitting here watching all the fireworks go out...

I'm personally of the belief that adaptations should not be held down by their original material and should stand on their own. And that is how I will judge this American Ghost in the Shell, on it's own merits. Whether or not it has Asian actors is irrelevant to me, whether it is on par with previous Ghost in the Shell media is also irrelevant. What matters to me is whether or not the film has a good story, because to me "Story is King".

But do go on, I love watching "Anime person who cares about social justice Hour"... Rolling Eyes
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Quote:

Why?

Because in my experience the only ones who use that term unironically are tinfoil-wearers whose opinions aren't worth a damn. The rest of this pretty much proves my point so I think I will go to sleep now.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
In this thread, I expect some of you to write up an essay answering the question:

Why white people should not be allowed to cosplay anime characters? Cool Razz

Well, if you look at the outcry that happens when non-cultural people dress up in certain cultural attire, then I imagine white people cosplaying as non-white characters would be considered cultural appropriation and should be held to the same standard. However, anime is pretty low on the radar for activists. There's been recent complaints whenever a black character character in a video game is voiced by a white voice actor, which by extention would mean all anime dubs are racist by default, but anime generally gets ignored when it comes to those kinds of issues in general. Just as watching a foreign live-action movie dubbed is pretty unheard of in most critical circles, but anime dubs are perfectly acceptable, if not mandatory. Perhaps it all goes back to the "nobody takes animation seriously in America" mindset. Or maybe a side-effect of the growing mindset I see in a lot of liberal camps that Asians aren't a minority

jdnation wrote:
Who said anything about money being an issue where hiring an actress is concerned? The issue is that the scale of the budget is such that they need to make a significant profit, and when you're putting enough money in then you need something there to guarantee the best return, this means further investments and money spent on the right cast and advertising. A celebrity like Scarlet Johansson who already has pull with the right audiences thanks to her Marvel gigs, and is a known quantity is far more feasible than a lesser known Asian star.

I believe people are fully aware why they're casting a white actress instead of an Asian one, people are just upset at it happening in general. Whether the blame is on the studios or xenophobic audiences who refuse to watch foreign films/minority actors is semantics. People are just upset it's happening at all.

ChaosTheory wrote:

White people saying anime character look white is unfortunately pretty common (even more awkward when you see things like 'anime has way too many white people and needs more minorities' comments but I disagree with the notion that a story has to be specifically tailored to a race or culture for it not to be changed. Just the fact a character is Asian should be more than enough reason for them to be Asian in an adaption. If a character is black, white, hispanic, or Asian, they should be that ethnicity in any adaption of the work just for the sake of being a proper adaption.

I'll admit there does seem to be some hypocrisy within this circle though. The same people who complain about white actors in minority roles also seem to be the first people to defend minority actors in white roles (Black Kingpin, Black Norse Gods in Thor, etc) I believe both lines of thinking are wrong. Stick to the source material no matter what it is, otherwise you might as well make your own project.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10