• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Posts 1st Photo of Scarlett Johansson as the Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
I hope this movie flops hard at the box office and dies a well-deserved, agonizing death so that Hollywood will be discouraged in the future from sullying and bastardizing another anime franchise that I hold dear. I am an anime purist who happens to believe that a live-action adaptation of a show like Ghost in the Shell will add absolutely nothing to the story because the original medium is actually better suited to conveying the philosophical themes and the visual artistry presented in the GITS movies.

The original medium was the manga not the animation.

Quote:
This will be another bland, generic, focus-grouped commercial "product" that will capture only the most superficial aspects of the show while missing its essence entirely.

The original was a 1989 manga, then they made several later manga and a movie in 95, another movie in 2004 and 2007 and..... The series from 2002-2003 is far away from the "original".

Quote:
I am much more concerned about the kind of creative bankruptcy that compels Hollywood to use an established anime franchise as source material for making dreck. I wish the American entertainment industry would learn to stop mucking around with things that were great the first time and cannot be improved upon.

Well, Hollywood adapts novels and Western comics all the time. Its cool they try to adapt a Japanese comic for a change, they recently did Edge of Tomorrow and Oldboy, two Japanese narratives.

Quote:
It was my sincere hope as a matter of principle that the live-action GITS adaptation would go the way of the threatened live-action Akira and NGE and be stuck in development hell forever before being cancelled and forgotten, not because I am especially fond of those shows but because anime should remain anime. In the case of Ghost in the Shell, something that wasn't broken didn't need to be fixed. If only this project could be wished out of existence.

Akira and GitS are not "anime" they are manga.

Manga is a very different medium. The difference between manga and anime is much much larger than between anime and live action. Both anime and live action are film, cinema, same thing essentially. The difference is the method of production drawn rather than filming of live action. The difference between manga and film is that time is linear in film while in manga time is subjective.

Manga is also distinct from literature. In that reading panels creates a distinct sense of time than reading a novel, its less chronological and more simultaneous since when reading one looks at different points in the narrative time back and forth.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Boomer wrote:
I am pretty sure it is. As with any work of art, the viewer gets out of it what he or she puts into it, and not everyone is able to appreciate its depth.

I would agree, if viewers in question were some simpletons, but that wasn't the case. As I stated before, this program was dedicated to art-house cinema, people who discuss films after their showings aren't just random meat from street, they're highly regarded intellectuals from different fields.

Art house film fans are some of the world's most stupid people. They didn't like GitS because they didn't understand it and they are ignorant people who think "anime" are cartoons for teenagers.

GitS is an incredible piece of art, a monument of late 20th century zeitgeist. Disagree? Well. This is not disputable just like Beethoven's 9th Symphony. You can dislike it but you cannot say it's not a classic.

I am an intellectual (and a serious one) and I found the movie pretty smart as a film. Exceptionally so in fact, because it's actually not pretentious stuff without a clear meaning (Malick's). I liked specially the idea of reproduction of artificial life, very interesting stuff.

Quote:
As for myself, I never considered GitS to be an intellectual movie, despite how great it is. The same way I don't consider Blade Runner to be intellectual flick, and this is one of my favorite films. Now Innocence, this is indeed pretentious, pseudo-intellectual garbage.

GitS and Blade Runner are intellectual films. Pretty obviously so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
The original was a 1989 manga, then they made several later manga and a movie in 95, another movie in 2004 and 2007 and..... The series from 2002-2003 is far away from the "original."

In other words, this movie is going to be a stand alone complex, a copy of something that never existed to begin with. Wink
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Art house film fans are some of the world's most stupid people. They didn't like GitS because they didn't understand it and they are ignorant people who think "anime" are cartoons for teenagers.

Are you telling me that Head of the Department of Psychology of the best Russian university, Head of the Department of Economics of Russian Academy of Science and one of the best-selling nonfiction writers in a country are too dumb to understand GitS or its themes? Please.
Quote:
I am an intellectual (and a serious one)

Well damn, I'm going to defend my PhD this autumn, does it makes me "serious intellectual"? Statements like that are incredibly arrogant. Stephen Hawking is a serious intellectual. If you defended your dissertation then you just defended friggin dissertation, like tens of millions around the world.
Quote:
GitS and Blade Runner are intellectual films. Pretty obviously so.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Ship?" is an intellectual work. Blade Runner and GitS (which was obviously inspired by Blade Runner to the point of "borrowing" entire scenes out of it) are not. You know why? Because both works are oversimplification of what Dick wrote.
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, Hollywood adapts novels and Western comics all the time. Its cool they try to adapt a Japanese comic for a change, they recently did Edge of Tomorrow and Oldboy, two Japanese narratives.

I never saw Edge of Tomorrow and the American Oldboy sucked. Oldboy is Korean by the way. Considering the lack of success Hollywood has had with remaking its own classics, I have zero faith in its ability to capture the essence of what made the original Japanese narratives great. The Robocop, Total Recall, and Point Break remakes were all terrible. Picturing Tom Cruise's mug playing a character depicted in manga or anime, for example, is not the same experience as appreciating the visual artistry that goes into creating a drawn image. For me, it takes away from and cheapens the original because the aesthetics of the anime medium itself is just as integral to its appeal as the characters and narrative in a given story.

Quote:
The difference between manga and anime is much much larger than between anime and live action. Both anime and live action are film, cinema, same thing essentially. The difference is the method of production drawn rather than filming of live action. The difference between manga and film is that time is linear in film while in manga time is subjective.

Um, not really. Both manga and anime involve drawings of flat, two-dimensional images where color and shading play a much more prominent role in providing depth and character to the final product. Their aesthetic styles are almost identical despite one being static and the other dynamic. Most importantly, both manga and anime are not "realistic" in the sense that they are not photographically representational in the way that live-action cinema and still photography are. They rely directly on the skill and style of the artist as well as the ability of the viewer's mind's eye to "fill in the blanks" and imagine what the images would look like if they were occurring in real life.
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Ship?" is an intellectual work. Blade Runner and GitS (which was obviously inspired by Blade Runner to the point of "borrowing" entire scenes out of it) are not. You know why? Because both works are oversimplification of what Dick wrote.

GITS may have taken a few visual cues from Blade Runner but it is an exaggeration to say that it borrowed "entire scenes" from it. GITS is still very much its own thing. If you want to find an anime that "borrowed" ideas from Blade Runner whole cloth, then look no further than the Bubblegum Crisis franchise.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Are you telling me that Head of the Department of Psychology of the best Russian university, Head of the Department of Economics of Russian Academy of Science and one of the best-selling nonfiction writers in a country are too dumb to understand GitS or its themes? Please.

It is entirely possible for people in esteemed positions to be completely ignorant about things. Most western art schools look down upon anime, and most critics in general don't treat animation worth the time of day considering the segregation of animation in award show. There's also that famous quote by Roger Ebert how video games could never be art. I took a film history class during college for the hell of it and someone tried to bring up an anime film and the teacher went on a tirade about how animation was irrelevant to filmmaking. It's just a shame I took that class before movies like Inception or Black Swan came out. The girl did bring up The Matrix though.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10