• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Posts 1st Photo of Scarlett Johansson as the Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I am extremely excited for this and I really hope it turns out great! There are really curious choices that point out not only major plot differences from the original pitched idea we heard of but it seems like the section 9 casting points to very different directions. It really makes me excited for this film just to see how the original is retained, that said I feel good about this movie. Ghost in the Shell is the kind of Anime that can make a great live action companion film series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Remember: if this falters, we can always take the acronym 'GitS' and pronounce it phonetically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
My issue is less about whitewashing and more why is Hollywood still trying to make live action adaptations of anime series.

GitS is one of the most adaptable anime series possible. Not just in feasibility regarding the CG, but also in tone and subject matter. I'm not saying this will be great, but it's stupid to believe that there will never be an amazing adaptation from anime to live-action and as soon as it's done, we'll start seeing more. The problem with anime -> liveaction adaptions are purely due to lack of resources and vision. Who knows? In ten years, we might see an anime film boom just like the comic book film boom.

Oh, and most comic book fans also hate marvel movies because they aren't faithful as well. The reality is that film is a different medium, and it can be done well, it just requires the right team.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I think she looks fine, but I need a trailer to see what plot they're going with and the visual effects and stuff like that. I'll probably wait until it gets out on Blu-Ray and get it from my library.

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
teaser pic appreciated, but I must await trailer.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
You say Oldboy as if the Western remake is a good thing. Laughing

I meant the South Korean film, not the American one.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I love how we're complaining about the nationalities of people playing characters with ARTIFICIAL BODIES. Bodies that can be designed to look like anything, any race, etc.

Outside of Oshii's movie, none of the versions of Kusanagi looked particularly Asian.

The problem won't be the whitewashing of the cast. The problem is more likely the writing and execution. Look for flaws where they're likely to exist, not where they aren't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I love how we're complaining about the nationalities of people playing characters with ARTIFICIAL BODIES. Bodies that can be designed to look like anything, any race, etc.

Outside of Oshii's movie, none of the versions of Kusanagi looked particularly Asian.

The problem won't be the whitewashing of the cast. The problem is more likely the writing and execution. Look for flaws where they're likely to exist, not where they aren't.

As I said earlier, I agree with execution but not with writing. Both of the writers are very accomplished for what little films they have done, while director Rupert Sanders doesn't have much going for him.
meruru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
fx434 wrote:
Japanese always cast Japanese to play non-Japanese characters

Will you people stop bringing this up?

1. False equivalence. Their culture and set of social issues are pretty different from ours.
2. Even if it were perfectly equivalent, an example of people doing the same thing doesn't at all undermine anyone's complaints. Then it's just another example of problematic behavior.
3. Japanese people living in Japan can't speak for the experiences of ethnically Japanese living in white dominated countries.

I'm personally getting pretty tired of the continuous white washing. Hollywood has barely even given diverse casting a shot, and it's getting less and less excusable when they're looking more and more to the global market to make their revenue. While I can see gits could be made in a way that makes nationality irrelevant, so why not cast whomever, it's freaking 2016, and blatantly misguided casting like in Doctor Strange make me far less forgiving.

Last edited by meruru on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The whitewashing is bullcrap, but Oshii practically fellates Donna Haraway's Cyborg Manifesto in the entirety of GitS. Haraway even appeared in Innocence.

People aren't wrong to complain about the white-washing, but in the context of ruining a character's portrayal? Eh... that's got nothing to do with it.

(Also, everyone seems to want Rinjo Kikuchi for the role, as if there aren't other Asian actresses in Hollywood.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
But why not use GitS as a base? It's already got a good blend of action, cyber-shenanigans, and philosophy, so it doesn't need to be juiced at all. It also has name recognition; I would bet that a fair number of Hollywood people who have any interest in sci fi are probably aware of it.

Contrarily, an American cyberpunk classic like, say, Neuromancer, would be much harder to film right.

And who here besides a handful of us would even know what Neuromancer is? I completely agree with you though a Neuromancer movie would be pretty amazing if done right. I agree with it's depth it would be harder to do even if it had the same widespread fanbase, which it doesn't comapred to GITS.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
@penguintruth The whitewashing is what it is, so i will just roll my eyes and don´t care too much but some of the early info suggest bad news bears all around. It still a shame that elemental parts of the story "need" to be changed. Sherlock Holmes should stay a Brit, Mad Max an Aussie (the game tried to make him a American and the fans immediately revolted!) and so on. Hm, i wonder how a 'Merican Siegfried would look like?
The biggest problem with this production, besides the producer (Avi F###ing Arad!) / writer / (maybe) director / development hell problems (at least 9 years for this version!), is that Hollywood is trying to do a pure Cyberpunk film in a Post-Cyberpunk world. It´s my favorite genre ever but it´s obsolete as hell.
Matrix 4ever would have a hard time to be relevant now, but a slightly unoriginal 80s property? Good luck!
The PG-13 demographic won´t respond one bit and Black Widow only jumped on board as she is in need of a new franchise. Black Widow had a string of good comics runs but they will delay the Miss Marvel film half a dozen more times and cancel a few more Widow toys before a spec script can even be considered... but Star Wars now has 2 female protagonists in a row and Wonder Woman is (finally) coming, so i still have hope.

The Cyberpunk legend Snow Crash though couldn´t be more relevant today and screams to be adapted.
I lastly have a feeling that this SAC adaptation will have a whistle-blowing subplot with Mr. Laughing Man. Just a feeling. The (South African!) Charlize Theron would have been an interesting Motoko, if i had to cast white.

Nearly forgot: The Project 2501 fan recreation looked pretty dope. More of that and the one for Akira!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Well, this just went from worse to worser. I can only imagine the epic hissy fit the studio will have when the film bombs critically or commercially.

At the very least no one will be able to say they didn't take a risk.....oh hell what am I saying they will.

MajorZero wrote:
Speaking of Japanese cast. The last time Hollywood movie had predominantly Japanese cast it ended up being one of the biggest flops in history. I wonder if this is among the reasons why producers so reluctant to work with foreign ensemble casts.

What movie was this?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
As long as they don't try to write in a romantic relationship between Motoko and Batou, and/or she doesn't need him to swoop in and rescue her, it will probably be ok with me. Quentin Tarantino's interest notwithstanding, this is probably as close as I'll ever get to a Modesty Blaise movie (go read the comics or the books), which movie makers have repeatedly mucked up because they just cannot grasp the sort of intimate yet platonic relationship Modesty and Willie have, and I still have my doubts that they can yet understand virtually the same relationship between Motoko and Batou.

I await the trailers with trepidation. Smile
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
What movie was this?

47 Ronin. I'm surprised people forgot about its existence so fast, it was released less than 3 years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10