• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
Merida wrote:
A+, seriously? That was a bit of a too convenient power-up for my taste: so that bored Basara just happens to come along at the right time and considers Benio to be "worthy"? Yes, i do realize this is shounen where new powers tend to appear out of thin air, but this was stretching it a bit too much for me.

Also, all that screaming quite literally gave me a headache...perhaps i'm getting too old for this stuff...

Merida, you may think this trope is overused in shounen, but it all comes down to the execution. I mean, Boku no Hero uses this right from the start, yet to this day in the manga, Izuku hasn´t had his powers fully controlled, he hasn´t won battles yet(except I believe Stain), but he has grown from generic crybaby to something more.

This argument is too old and it says that the shounen genre is dead when it´s not

Execution is important certainly, and I think they did it well enough here, but that doesn't mean people can't or won't find it tiresome nonetheless. Just because you do it well doesn't mean it isn't overused. Also where do they say shonen is dead? I am also interested in why an argument being old has anything to do with its validity or correctness.

Side note: I took the liberty of editing your quote so it is clear what is and isn't your writing. Feel free to quote it so you know the proper syntax for quoting.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Yeah. I was curious about that myself (haven't read the manga)

It really shouldn't have, but wondering about that detracted from the rest of the episode for me. I mean they showed Seigen's arm missing.
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I have read the manga, but stopped right after the time skip. I was waiting for the anime to finally get to the good part and it was kinda worth it. The bad part was all the attack names being shouted at every turn with giant letters interrupting the action at every other moment. Seriously, it stretches the whole "bad guys waiting while someone preps an attack" thing almost to the limit. And you can't have shounen action without Rokuro shouting "YUUUUTOOOO!!!!" every chance he gets.

The good part was of course, watching Yuto play around with Rokuro and Benio, and then the main dish where Yuto destroys Benio's legs. Actually hearing the screams makes it much more enjoyable than in a silent manga. Even though the anime toned down the blood a bit, it more than made up for it with Benio's river of tears. Watching someone bleed is just a matter of fact, but it's when they cry that you know something real is happening. I live for these moments.

But naturally it is impossible to ignore just how convenient it was that Benio got a brand new pair of legs in the next scene. Even before I saw it happen in the manga I "knew" something like this would happen eventually. Without a kegare part of her own Benio seemed a bit more like Rokuro's "support" rather than his Twin Star counterpart. Now they seem more like a matching pair.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
I mean, Boku no Hero uses this right from the start

spoiler[He also beats Muscular.]
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The underwhelming fight scene from this week's episode makes me question the A James gave it but whatever.

Second half was pretty good though as it built the characters decently well.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it was disappointing to see Benio get defeated so quick but at least the second half made it up for me. Especially that ending scene with Benio and Rokuro.

By the way, did anyone else notice the tears in Yuto's eyes when he saw the ghosts? It felt like he was maybe regretting what he did for a moment.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I was really disappointed with the end of the fight even if the rest of the episode was good. Benio's power up accomplished nothing. Roku gets a whole in his stomach, pulls out some power up that isn't explained at all, heals the wound, and apparently also restored his clothes... Then the kids hold him up which again is not explained at all. If it was just Roku imagining it that would be one thing, but Yuto clearly saw them too.

Quote:
They're still kids, and they have a long way to go before either of them can even start thinking about marriage,

Uh, only 2 years apparently. Exorcists must have special rules on when they are old enough to marry.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I have to say I was really disappointed with the end of the fight even if the rest of the episode was good. Benio's power up accomplished nothing. Roku gets a whole in his stomach, pulls out some power up that isn't explained at all, heals the wound, and apparently also restored his clothes... Then the kids hold him up which again is not explained at all. If it was just Roku imagining it that would be one thing, but Yuto clearly saw them too.

Quote:
They're still kids, and they have a long way to go before either of them can even start thinking about marriage,

Uh, only 2 years apparently. Exorcists must have special rules on when they are old enough to marry.

Not really. They are 14 now and while it is certainly rare, 16-year-olds are allowed to marry with special permission. Although in the manga they did say that the original plan was basically to go to a place where exorcists have their own laws to bypass this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
Honestly I have not been a big fan of the series through its run, but that has kind of changed with the last few episodes (19 and 20), where I think it has actually been pretty awesome. In my opinion the worst part of the show is represented by the stupid fox, who tends to be part of scenes where the two main characters fight each other instead of growing, which his absence in this episode was telling.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
I have to say I was really disappointed with the end of the fight even if the rest of the episode was good. Benio's power up accomplished nothing.

Really, you think it didn't? She actually put a large amount of damage on him, which if the close confrontation at the end had anything to say, it was important. Benio specifically mentioned that Yuto was not showing his damage, but he was actually getting hurt, plus she inspired Rokuro for that final push too. And no doubt she would be stronger in a rematch.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit miffed that they cut spoiler[the full extent of Rokuro's powerup, which gets explained later on, as well as the first appearance of the Miko] but I guess they needed to save some material for the other 28 episodes (and budget).

I'm rather happy with these last two episodes, though. Even if there's only so far Pierrot can go, the voice acting really elevates the original material.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Is ANN goung to publish the news about the anime original arc that starts in the next episode? It is about the rest of the celestial guardians. As I only read the manga up until chapter 16, I don´t know if their screen time is big or too little, but here we´re going to know them. I expect than the director of the anime makes these chapters at least more entertaining than the previous fillers
0Ninjaz0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
The anime was a pretty quick drop for me, because it's not close to as good or as entertaining as the manga. And some of the changes they made, had no value and just made the series more generic and less enjoyable with annoying character add ons, and pointless scenes. Changing scenes from the manga so they make less sense in the following context of the story.

Sometimes I wish they would either just go full on original, or just add original content to make it flow better, or improve. Not unnecessary changes that adds nothing but dragging and bad comedy. I usually like when anime do their own original content, as I find that they can usually improve or give a suitable spin to the story. In this case, no thanks.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
^Be that as it may, and I'm not a manga reader so I can't make any proclamations on that point, is this the best time to make that comment? After the best rated set of episodes in the series seems like a terribly unpersuasive time to advance that argument, especially about episodes that you haven't seen, presuming you did indeed drop it. At this point it just seems like hating. In addition, I've heard enough manga readers complain, persuasively and not, to think that sticking with one format is the best way for me, because even in the best case scenario, one is still spoiled on the events of the anime.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
James wrote:
For all of its posturing and pomp, for all the time spent on creepy monsters and training and magical power-up attacks, Twin Star Exorcists is a love story at its heart. The carefully crafted and thoughtfully developed rapport that Benio and Rokuro share is one of the most compelling anime romances I've seen in a long time.

And that's exactly why I'm watching and loving the show, otherwise I wouldn't bother with anything of the shounen demographic.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Quote:

Not really. They are 14 now and while it is certainly rare, 16-year-olds are allowed to marry with special permission. Although in the manga they did say that the original plan was basically to go to a place where exorcists have their own laws to bypass this.

Well, do they really need a marriage? They can have, uhm, sex, without special relations
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16