• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kabaneri, Assassination Classroom, Shōnen Maid, Sakamoto Delayed This Week Due to Quake News Coverag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Damn earthquakes! You messed with the wrong medium!

It just messed with the wrong country.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
From what a Japanese colleague tells me, the epicenter of the quake is in a mountainous area, where the structures might be older and less earthquake proof. Combined with their more isolated location, it will take longer before damage report gets out, so it's understandable that news programs would be monitoring the situation in the hardest hit areas (even if they are more sparsely populated) and entertainment programs will get rescheduled as a result. My colleague also tells me that apparently that region of Japan sees less earthquakes, so it's possible that people around Kumamoto are less prepared compared to say, people living on the island of Honshu, where my colleague is from.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
That's 3 out of 4 show I follow and most likely a week delay which would push summer starting day a week later for those shows. I wonder why some got aired and some did not. I thought it would be all or none.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
What surprises me is to see bookcases falling over in those workplaces, and things flying off the shelves. We mostly only get weak side-shocks from the Bay area quakes or rolling in from the Sierras or San Andreas, and yet at work we're still required to do the simple things like securing bookcases to the wall (takes about ten minutes) and having lips on shelves to keep things from sliding off. It seems like that would just be SOP in Japan, even in homes (though with no enforcement, I can imagine people putting it off).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Drunk wrote:
Of course I hope that the damage by the earthquake wasn't too severe. But damn, I was really looking forward to Kabaneri's second episode. I guess we will have to wait a week now.

Same here, that first episode was fantastic. Like you said I hope the damage wasn't that bad.

I also hope that this doesn't cut any of these shows broadcasts an episode short in the end since these schedules are always so crazy tight when one show ends and another takes the slot.

Kabaneri is already seemingly shorter than it should be since it looks like it's only scheduled for 1 cour at the moment, unless it ends up split cour if it does incredibly well, when it's looking big/dense enough to support atleast 2 cours.
Responder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm in Nagasaki at the moment, and I was actually there to experience the earthquake. I'm so glad I was far from the epicentre.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I just spent the past 2 hours refreshing the page on my weekly streaming site looking forward to second episode of Kabaneri, and then I found out this news..
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate delayed streams, this is justifiable. I prefer this explanation over some lame "rights issue" explanation.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
Some classify stuff from anime fans in this thread as expected Rolling Eyes People are probably dying or have died and the first thing on peoples minds is whether they get to watch their seasonal hype show right away or perhaps some time later. MeMeMe generation indeed. Obviously more concerned with the situation over there and rescue efforts. Seems to consistently happen every year around this time.

FireChick wrote:
I hope the people in Kumamoto are okay!

Thank you for allowing this fanbase to maintain at least some semblance of dignity and humanity no matter how fast the light seems to be going out.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Some classify stuff from anime fans in this thread as expected Rolling Eyes People are probably dying or have died and the first thing on peoples minds is whether they get to watch their seasonal hype show right away or perhaps some time later. MeMeMe generation indeed. Obviously more concerned with the situation over there and rescue efforts. Seems to consistently happen every year around this time around.
You didn't see MAL yet, some even expressed that Japan should just air the show any way and a lot of posts seemed to obviously doesn't gave a shit. I guess, that's the kids for you. "I don't care about some unknown people dying, I just wanted my anime! Rolling Eyes "
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
9 people were killed last I heard. Seriously, some people need to get some perspective. So you don't get to watch a certain show for a week, it's literally not the end of the world. You'll live.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
robertbaldie wrote:
9 people were killed last I heard. Seriously, some people need to get some perspective. So you don't get to watch a certain show for a week, it's literally not the end of the world. You'll live.

THIS. People DIED and the only thing some people care about is their F.... anime?! Empathy level 0.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Apparently Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri's 2nd episode got leaked by Chinese websites...

Anyways, I'm wondering how it will affect the schedule and the production of those shows.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Kabaneri's second episode got leaked by the Chinese, but I don't understand where they got it from. I thought it didn't air. Or were there other stations that aired it a day or two after? I mean, there had to be somewhere it came from. At least I got to see it. No use looking a gift horse in the mouth.

This leads me to a question though: almost all anime are aired on multiple stations. Do all stations air on the same day? I would think not.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Some classify stuff from anime fans in this thread as expected Rolling Eyes People are probably dying or have died and the first thing on peoples minds is whether they get to watch their seasonal hype show right away or perhaps some time later. MeMeMe generation indeed. Obviously more concerned with the situation over there and rescue efforts. Seems to consistently happen every year around this time.

FireChick wrote:
I hope the people in Kumamoto are okay!

Thank you for allowing this fanbase to maintain at least some semblance of dignity and humanity no matter how fast the light seems to be going out.

From my counts, at least 10 posts covered the earthquake as a main topic. I was expecting worse, if you must know.

But I will not let the ''Generation MeMeMe'' comment slide. Not one bit.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/millennials-generation-y-guide-to-much-maligned-demographic

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/15/millennials-work-five-stereotypes-generation-y-jobs

http://www.theguardian.com/world/series/millennials-the-trials-of-generation-y

We were born into an already screwed up world because of past mistakes, and yet people like you talk about us as if we were the Cancer of This Earth. You say we're lazy, I say we're unemployed. You say we're selfish, I say we're diisillusioned. And last but not least, you say we lack empathy, but we weren't the ones that started the Iraqi War, the Vietnam War, etc.

You'd expect that in such a diverse group of individuals as Gen-Y/Millenials or any other generation (including yours) individuals would be judged as individuals, and yet here we are with cheap rethoric about how this generation sucks and how everything was better before. After all, the 60's, 70's and 80's were notable for their lack of racism, sexism and homophobia, right?

A saying we have in this country and that yu may have as well, is that those with glass ceilings shouldn't throw rocks at others. You're no better than us.

Yes, there's a lot of idiots who have a complete lack of empathy. But you know, once, back in March 2011, I saw a guy speaking about how the Tohoku Earthquake was an opportunity for american economic growth. Clue: He wasn't a millenial.

With all of this said, I'm not too bummed with the whole delay thing. It's just a week anyways. I was more worried with the possibility of the Big One finally striking the Kanto region. With With 9 dead and 900 wounded, it's a far-cry from what I feared. Nonetheless my condolences to the families affected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3