• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoodiHoshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
YoodiHoshi wrote:

Firstly, just getting this part out of the way - I think Hayato has placed his trust in Josuke guarding him. Yoshikage at this point is leaning toward ruthlessness after what the kid had done just now.

....The guy murders women in cold blood to collect their hands one of whom was Reimi he was ruthless long before he started blowing up middle schools and Hayato.

Sorry, I wrote that first paragraph as the last thing in haste before signing off. I meant that any sudden moves by that time and Yoshikage might just make a dash at Hayato. Okuyasu did tell him to stay behind them, after all.
Plus, this is an anime adapting a manga chock-full of dialogue in almost every panel, so there's plenty of time-compression to be expected.

MarshalBanana wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
How the hell did they not hear them?

Actually they did hear them but they or rather Jotaro just assumed it was nothing.
He said that he thought he heard his voice, which you would think he would go investigate.

In both of the English manga translations, Jotaro says "The rain sounded like Josuke," not "The rain sounded like Josuke's voice" making it even seem more like he heard a scream, adding to the anime's misstep as if that wasn't enough
YoodiHoshi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Since this was Araki's favorite part around the time of writing it, he felt these characters to be close friends to him. He even called Josuke his 'senpai' at times.

There was no way he'd want this bunch to really die. Although, he did rank Shigechi higher than DIO in his top ten favorite characters (circa 2000 - where he'd just begun writing the part after the next one)
Also, not jumping to say that you are, but it seems like you're mainly rating this based on how many characters are on the verge of death in an episode
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
So is Diamond Is Unbreakable nearing its end, I assume Kira was this parts main villain(even if he was just your average man, who just wanted to live a quite live and occasionally kill people)
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
YoodiHoshi wrote:
Also, not jumping to say that you are, but it seems like you're mainly rating this based on how many characters are on the verge of death in an episode

There's a tiny bit of truth to this. More so last week than this, but yeah. When I thought Rohan was dead, I was CRAZY invested, and that investment slipped a tiny bit with all the time resetting. It's still a great show, but I save those A ratings for when I'm head over heels excited after an episode.
KML777

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully by the end of the final episode we get a glimpse of Part V.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Part 4 is my favorite part and it has my favorite ending, unlike Part 3 where at the last minute our heroes start dropping like flies at the end of 4 our main cast and 90% of the supporting cast get our just fine. I love that the ending is bittersweet with some people being happy but also driving the point home that while some will just remeber it as any other few months for some it will be the last time they saw someone they loved, while the cause of the hidden suffering in Morioh is gone some wounds will still bleed.

Where as when part 3 ended the wounds were much closer to the viewer with half the main cast not getting to see the final payoff here the main cast does but some minor characters still have to wait forever for someone who won't come home, and that is what makes he ending more touching.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we'll be seeing Vento Aureo sometime next year??? Wink
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm a manga reader so I already knew what was gonna happen, but the anime managed to make me cry in the last episode. I just love how DP adapted this anime from the 1st episode foreshadowing Kira as the main antagonist to the end, where they added scenes with side characters who didn't get much screen time.

The emotions were delivered so much better than the manga, but the original is still a masterpiece. Although, the anime did cut a few funny lines and scenes I liked, but it is understandable due to time constraints.

9/10 For my favorite Jojo part's anime adaption

The only drawbacks were some weird animations (which is easily forgiven by me) and as I said some lines and scenes I was waiting for. Smile

Hopefully we can get a part 5 anime adaptation and so on. Jojo deserves an anime adaptation for the entire series! Wink
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
And this was supposed to be the best JoJo? That's what a lot of people here said in the beginning but no way does this JoJo even compare to the previous three. The sense of imminent danger was severely lacking in comparison. The best part of the last episode was seeing Star Platinum's The World and hearing Jotaro's battle cry again when he dealt the finishing move to Kira.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Yep this was easily the best series DP has ever put out. Jojo or otherwise. My favorite of the year without a doubt.

Hyperdrve wrote:
The sense of imminent danger was severely lacking in comparison..

It was in places but I felt the same way regarding the previous arcs too. Especially Stardust where I wasn't convinced there was any real danger until they reached Dio's place. Not that I really care. Give me fun, strange concept based battles and likeable characters and I'll shut right up. Those were the two areas where this series outstrips its predecessors for me.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
And this was supposed to be the best JoJo? That's what a lot of people here said in the beginning but no way does this JoJo even compare to the previous three. The sense of imminent danger was severely lacking in comparison. The best part of the last episode was seeing Star Platinum's The World and hearing Jotaro's battle cry again when he dealt the finishing move to Kira.

I liked all the other jojo parts better than this one (except for part 1), so it depends on teh person, part 5 is already an improvement again and part 7 is also really good; part 6 is good but being sandwiched between 5 and 7 does not do it any favours. part 4 does well sandwiched between part 3 and 5 because of how differetn it is.
Generations

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
Yep, definitely still my favourite, and I'm sure a lot of people will agree. While I've only read all the way to Part 6 (starting Part 7 soon), this was definitely my favourite JoJo arc.

If you were expecting them all to have the same 'feel', you're going to be disappointed really quickly since each Part of JoJo has its own story archetype that feels completely different from the other. Part 4 is basically Araki's take on a slice-of-life story -- if your regular slice-of-life had Stands and a hand-loving serial killer.

While I think the manga overall is better than the adaptation (mostly when it comes to a slower pacing that really gives that slice-of-life feel), the anime definitely did the series justice and in some cases was better (like giving a stronger voice to the side characters that felt not as necessary in the manga).

If you're wondering what Part 5 will feel like... imagine watching Fast & Furious 5 to 7, except with Stands and being really really weird.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
This is definitely my favourite JoJo part I(so far)! I loved all of the characters, i loved the artwork, i loved the music - there really wasn't a single thing i disliked. Bonus points for my favourite good guys not dying for once. Smile
Generations

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Also I can't believe it took me until the last episode to realize the opening song 'Great Days' was an allusion to Josuke saying 'gureto-daze'.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
Omgggggg Amazing experience, truly the greatest JoJo I seen yet, and now one of the best animes this year
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28