• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kiznaiver

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
How come reviews for this show are out so fast?

Because it's not Joker Game? All the other reviews have come out within 48 hours, most within 12, this season.

I agree with Yreva about Katsuhira's dialog. Felt perfectly in character to me. But I still have yet to understand Chidori's going off on Tenga on the balcony (or anything else she's had to say, for that matter). Why did she assume he was asking her to reject him to make her feel better? What did "that feeling isn't mine" mean? Ninety percent of what she rants about is such emotional gibberish it goes right over my head. It's like she can't feel an emotion without having a complete mental breakdown. No wonder Katsuhira couldn't understand what she wanted. Nobody can, least of all her.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
I really liked this episode right up to the point when Sonozaki started to act like some sort of cult leader. Sure the show isn't exactly subtle about getting its message across, but i care enough about these kids now that it doesn't bother me too much. I'm still worried it's going to crash and burn in the final, though...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
I think it is that Chidori might have realised that a bit of her acting like she cares about others has actually been rather selfish. Her sin was partially of caring about mostly her own feelings, wanting to stop him being bullied because it hurt her, and looking after him because she wants him. She refused to turn Tenga down because it would make her feel bad, and she kind of realised that she was not doing it just for others.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
Yreva wrote:
To me it just seems natural that a character such as him would have trouble expressing himself in any way other than a stilted manner because he has this unique experience of being completely emotionless.

Agreed. Can't criticise an emotionless character for talking in a stilted manner. I loved the way he problem solved the issue by "checking his answers." It's just his way of getting back in touch with his humanity.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I really did like this show, despite its weaknesses. Gave me an Oregairu Zoku vibe. I am sad that Nico seems to be the only one out of the love loop now, but romantic relationships, as this show proves, aren't the only things that matter. This episode, along with the Luluco ending, makes me impatient to see what Mari Okada and the rest of Trigger do next.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Only 3.5 stars for episode 12. I was enthusiastic with Kiznaiver, but its last third was too messy for me to keep caring as much. Still, watching this anime for me was still worth it. My rating for the whole series is Good or a solid B.

I hope the next Trigger tv series is better than Kiznaiver.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, the finale had about the expected amount of melodrama, i wasn't too thrilled about some of it but it was bearable. What really annoyed me was that everybody needed to be forcefully paired up in the end, except for Nico and Hisomu who incidentally turned out to be my favourite characters...granted, that made for some cute scenes, i especially enjoyed Honoka's and Yuta's interactions, but after all that talk about "the power of friendship", it felt sorta... counterproductive.

But the most disappointing part was the missing OP which had been the only consistently good part of this show all around... Sad

Last edited by Merida on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaorv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ngl, I didn't really have a problem with Kiznaiver's obsession with straight romance until this last episode. They literally paired ALL the main characters in 2-person straight couples. Whhyyyy did you have to do that? They only paired Nico and Hisomu together because they were the last 2 left! Tenga's and (mostly) Yuta's feeling were unrequited until now all of a sudden. Why couldn't Maki have just been gay. whhhyyyyyyyy
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
kaorv wrote:
They only paired Nico and Hisomu together because they were the last 2 left!

Even though i mostly share your dissatisfaction with the forced pairings, i saw no indication of Nico and Hisomu becoming a couple. Nico's still very much into Tenga and Hisomu doesn't seem to be all that interested in that kind of stuff...
Yreva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
This was easily my favorite of the season. Some seem to be put off by some of the elements that the show is comprised of, but to me it was a great package that managed to wrap up nicely. It also had my favorite ending song of the season :3
kaorv

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Even though i mostly share your dissatisfaction with the forced pairings, i saw no indication of Nico and Hisomu becoming a couple. Nico's still very much into Tenga and Hisomu doesn't seem to be all that interested in that kind of stuff...

After this episodes climax, we get 5 different scenes between 1 boy and 1 girl. Katsuhira+Nori, Yuta+Maki, Tenga+Chidori, Nico+Hisomu, and those 2 adults.

Katsuhira and Nori have a heartfelt conversation, Nori strokes his face, and we find out their a couple now.

Maki gives Yuta her crepe, Yuta calls it and indirect kiss, and Maki says she bought it for him so he gets fat and no other girl looks at him.

Chidori apologizes to Tenga and says for some reason she hasn't been able to stop thinking about him lately, which makes Tenga smile. In all 3 of these scenes there's a romantic revelation to the viewer.

Cut to Nico and Hisomu, hanging out alone, spying on Tenga and Chidori. Nico is her usual awesome self and talks about how her and Chidori will have a fistfight over Tenga and they'll be closer afterwords (I love this part lol). We then see Hisomu looking at Nico for a couple seconds before he smiles and says Nico really is mature.

That is how every other unrequited relationship/eventual couple started in Kiznaiver, from that time Tenga was staring at Chidori during the training camp to when Kacchon asks for Nori's email. That isn't what I want for Nico or Hisomu, I still prefer Nico/Maki and Hisomu/Katsuhira and wish the show went there, but I think that's what the showrunners want.

Then the two adults share exposition lol. But it's still framed in a very heartfelt way that wants you to ship the characters.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
That was... something. Overall, I personally consider this anime to be pretty mediocre. A solid B- material. The last third of the anime really killed my sympathy of any of the characters (sans Nico), so that bumped down my personal opinion from ok to mediocre.

I really do think this anime would have been better if they left out the romance or at the very least didn't put so much emphasis on it. And god, all the forced pairings at the end. I don't like how Chidori ends up with Tenga in the end the most but that might be because Chidori is my least favorite character.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The resolution scene on the bridge was way too talky for my taste but I don't see any other way that they could have dug themselves out of story hole they had.
Ep 12 review wrote:
Chidori has pushed Katsuhira towards a more emotionally whole future all throughout this series, but now that he's finally taking steps in that direction, those steps are leading him away from her. It's a clear act of love to celebrate a friend finding a happy path that doesn't include you on it.

Ultimately I think she should realize that this was for the best. Any time you have a relationship based on where she thinks she has to care for him to keep him "safe" or even "functional" it is not likely to end up satisfying or even healthy. (I think that rule applies when the genders are swapped or the same as well.) It seems she realized that she was sentimental over him and wanted to make herself feel empowered by nurturing him but only a very damaged partner would respond to that. The guy she is ending up with is much better for her.

Anyone who doesn't pick Nico for their partner needs their head examined. She is totally awesome.
lanierd2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I just didn't care for this show. I watched to almost episode 10 as i thought there would be those trigger plot twist involved like it was in gurren and kill la kill but there was really no excitement. I am hoping that Little Witch is better.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
I wasn't too happy with the end. First the whole linking the world up just seemed like a Gatchman retread, then they talked and talked and talked on that bridge and I was hoping a sniper would just take her out. Then the pairings at the end when none of them had ever seemed likely to work before. It was all so contrived. Ah well, I liked rest of the series, but it's probably a B- for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8