• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Big Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Episode #4:

If Eiji managed to slow the missile down significantly for it to be grabbed by the Rock God, why hasn't he used his Order to, I don't know, dismantle/disarm the missile, or shut-down its engine? One possible explanation I can think of is that Eiji can't issue an Order when he himself doesn't understand the subject's workings, but then again he manipulated gravitational forces in a localize area, so that's probably not it...

I'm also don't quite understand how Eiji's Domain works, because the drainage canal area was within his Domain, but the streets above weren't. I thought that his Domain was a radius around him.

What really confuses me is the fact that people keep explicitly saying that Eiji's power is to physically dominate things, but a lot of what he does seems to revolve around the much more abstract control of will, at least in part. I've honestly given up trying to understand the rules of it, since I'm pretty sure the rules are whatever the writers need them to be for the scene to work.

It really does make it hard to see us on those dramatic beats though. I always find myself asking "Well, if he can dominate (people/gravity/reality) why can't he just (Insert Easy Solution Here)?" The easy argument is that his powers have been limited, but since his powers started off being godlike, we don't actually know what "limited" means in this sense. Plus, we still have no clue why Floaty Girl picked that arbitrary amount of limitation, or why she can't just give him a little power back, or what her long term plan might even be.

Like I said in the review, I liked this episode, but I still have a lot of questions the show doesn't seem super interested in answering, at least not in a terribly satisfying way.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
... Plus, we still have no clue why Floaty Girl picked that arbitrary amount of limitation, or why she can't just give him a little power back, or what her long term plan might even be...
Her plan is indeed the Big Question of this series since "Daisy" (Eiji's name so I'll assume it is the official one) seems to have been happily flitting about granting various people's wishes, not just Eiji's, and and it seems the wish must be "pure". However, the limitation on Eiji's power isn't arbitrary as 1/10,000 is the approximate ratio of the surface area of the Earth to that of Kyushu (1/14350 actually). Amazing what you can find on Google these days.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Welp, gotta upgrade Eiji and Sena from probably dtf to df (as in definitely...you get the picture). Also other evidence is the trail of clothes leading to the bath(?). When they said they were not blood related the other week, I knew they were keeping this ship open, but damn I didn't know it was sailing to Port Sex Shocked. Also on that front, now we know who wears the pants in that relationship, though I guess in her case they're pajama bottoms. Then after being on the verge of giving birth two weeks ago, they gloss over Iyo's pregnancy with a "huh what happened to the baby". Then they hit us with a typical bath molestor female character. Then there is Eiji's "I gotta turn Rin back to normal". Isn't that trying to murder him, which is what she's doing now? Her experiences with him probably changed her mind on him, but how much was her will and how much was his domination? She is back to normal. A not horrible episode made the reviewer (and myself to a lesser extent) think it had some potential, and this just reaffirmed my original impression, which is worst of the season. Not Jiraiya's Ninja Scrolls bad but still.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
To be honest I stopped watching after episode one! That's really rare for me! Seeing how many anime I have seen in whole or at least given a chance!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
The thing with Iyo's pregnancy is a recurring thing that actually becomes pretty important later on. The anime won't make it that far, but the manga has gotten really interesting. Really, pretty much everything the anime has covered so far is huge misdirection. I don't know if the anime will get the twists that coming though.
Yreva

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Honestly I love this and I can't wait for more
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
As bad as Future Diary was from start to finish, the early episodes are nothing in comparison to the crap that gets pulled later on. So I fully understand your concerns.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting to hear Sena softly utter to Eiji "order, be my goshuujin-sama..." I'm loving this for all the wrong reasons but looking forward to the uncensored version Twisted Evil I'm not even going to begin looking for this story to make sense, it's a fan-fic pure and simple. Where is it going next week? Daisy's la-la-land! (Eiji, I Am YOUR FATHER!)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
Sometimes you just want to watch something totally messed up, and this show might be able to do that. Of course it is bad, but step siblings boning.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
episode 5,

man this series is inconsistent, I was really getting into it in eps 3 and 4 but then it went downhill again in this episode.

what is the deal with eiji's power, it's so damn inconsistent. he can control physics, air, gravity etc but when people wear headphones his power doesn't work on them? I thought it wasn't the verbal command that made things happen, it was his intent, after all bullets and air can't hear what he's saying.

furthermore, even if he couldn't control them he should have still had full control over the domain around him (which rin walked into, since he was backing up and she was following him). he could have made their air around her thick or made a hole beneath her or one of a hundred other ways of stopping her.

This is the problem when you give a character an incredibly OP power and then throw in a bunch of arbitrary weaknesses which make no sense. it ruins the whole flow of the series.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I guess there was so much to go off on in this last episode that the reviewer forgot to mention the fact that Hiragi apparently has the power to manipulate reality.]
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
My biggest complaint about episode 5 is that it just doesn't make sense. It felt like several minutes of content that should have linked scenes together in a logical flow got excised, leaving behind a total mess. And I fully agree with complaints about the inconsistency of the MC's power use.

Really, ep 5 was one of the worst individual episodes of anime I've seen in the past couple of years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
spoiler[I guess there was so much to go off on in this last episode that the reviewer forgot to mention the fact that Hiragi apparently has the power to manipulate reality.]

Possibly due to the fact that the series really does its damnest to not really tell us what's going on? Seriously, some stuff happened, and some large portion of it was ridiculous. I'm sure the manga explains more, but the anime is a giant train wreck of.... I don't even know.

At this point, I can't tell the difference between 1) terrible, terrible writing and 2) plot points that are being deliberately hidden from us. UGH.

Even Mayoiga has proved less confusing this season. Although Mayoiga COULD still be genius hidden within....something. I'm not feeling that with Big Order Just confusion.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My biggest complaint about episode 5 is that it just doesn't make sense...
Really, ep 5 was one of the worst individual episodes of anime I've seen in the past couple of years.
Well, this show just keeps getting better and better (if "bad" is what your like). OK, now I'm totally confused about "Daisy", what is this PS6 they introduced out of the blue, I thought Iyo couldn't be touched without her losing her powers, WTF do kamihakari and kemari have to do with kamimusubi and why on earth did they devote about 1/3 of this show to Iyo/Eiji? spoiler[Wishes can be combined?] Eiji can't dominate water so he'll dominate the air?? I laughed out loud involuntarily when they announcedspoiler[ "Dominator Add-on: Divination Engine" and that stupid "fish gun" thing] I think I was right before, they are in fan-fiction la-la-land. Still good for a laugh though, and since Eiji is such a stud, I just want to see him dominate the hell out of Iyo and Rin with a dose of Sena on the side. Twisted Evil
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This week though, I saw the light. The scowl that's plastered my face since the first episode ended was transformed into a giddy grin.

He finally broke lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7