• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Big Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This show is glorious trash. It gets nearly everything about competent storytelling wrong and yet is still strangely compelling.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Pierrot. wrote:
Ganbatte James. Just one more episode left.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
@Rederoin Like Pierrot said, Ganbatte James! We'll look back at this next year and laugh... (nah)

Thank you! It's been an interesting journey we've taken together, to say the least .
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Ease up on the AC-130, man. It is bad, but I think not bad enough to deserve a round of beating like that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
It has been a special kind of bad. The kind I am going to remember for how gloriously bad it was... like Amnesia.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Very promising 1st episode but then literly it feel down from a clif with each new episode, this one really can serve as a warning that you simply do not make stuff like this anymore. Guess the only reason why this got an anime is due 10ep only and that the author was from mirai nikki.
jutsuri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that even though I never watched a single episode of Big Order I thoroughly enjoyed reading the reviews. I love the flair put into describing its badness. Thanks for putting yourself through that so that people like me can have a good chuckle.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
I just wanted to say that even though I never watched a single episode of Big Order I thoroughly enjoyed reading the reviews. I love the flair put into describing its badness. Thanks for putting yourself through that so that people like me can have a good chuckle.

Aw, thank you!

Finding different ways to adequately commucate this show's unique brand of badness was pretty challenging, and genuinely really fun. I'm honestly glad I got to watch it, just because it was so fun to write about! It's legitimately really cool to know people had fun following along. Very Happy Very Happy
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
They adapted 9 and a half episodes of canon then made the last 10 minutes anime original but still managed to incorporate the ending of what the mangaka was going for, I'm impressed.
This director is someone to look out for.

8/10, I will miss the shouting and it needed more jazz.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this show had an inordinate amount of potential, and right now stands as one of the biggest flops of the year (I only say "one of" because there are other shows I dropped without finishing so I make them to be bigger flops).

My biggest issue wiht the finale is the fact that it was literally, in almost every way, nothing that couldn't have been done in episode 1. He knew from the get go that his power was being limited. Nothing since then was done to instill any greater confidence that he could control that power any better beyond finding out he hadn't been the one to lose control originally.

The lack of pressing Daisy for information throughout the series lacks any reasoning or common sense. The idea that "God" would be defeated by one person's Order makes no sense, although sadly I do think I know where they wanted to go with that. Sidelining Rin, who they ostensibly setup as the co-lead at the outset, only to haphazardly bring her back for the literal last moments of the series to team up with Eiji again.

The series just seemed to always be doing things that were assuming you saw something that wasn't there - like this was really a 2-cour series recap and you don't understand because you're missing half the episodes. At the same time, I don't know that more episodes would have made much of a positive difference. It feels like there was so much more that could have been done with this show, but they never figured out what it was exactly they wanted to do.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
I just wanted to say that... I thoroughly enjoyed reading the reviews. I love the flair put into describing its badness. Thanks for putting yourself through that so that people like me can have a good chuckle.
A hearty ditto in spades for me too!! I seemingly can't help commenting early on a show when it gets as bad as this but most episodes I was left wondering "where do I begin?". Then I see where you (Mr. Beckett) say all the things I couldn't sort out in my head organized, insightfully analyzed and delivered with wit and a wry sense of humor. Several times I kicked myself for not waiting until your review because my commentary tended to be so lame in comparison. I also really appreciate your interaction in the comments area here as it really increases the interest in watching the show and enhances the experience of commenting. Not all reviewers do that and I think they should. You truly did your best and it was a rare pleasure and honor to go through this with you and the other "frequent fliers" and look forward to doing it all again sometime (for the OVA?)... Very Happy
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I also really appreciate your interaction in the comments area here as it really increases the interest in watching the show and enhances the experience of commenting. Not all reviewers do that and I think they should. You truly did your best and it was a rare pleasure and honor to go through this with you and the other "frequent fliers" and look forward to doing it all again sometime (for the OVA?)... Very Happy

Joining in the comments is my favorite part! I honestly wish I had been even more active, but I'm glad to have gotten off to a good start, at least! It's been _my_ pleasure to kick it with all of you.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that an anime original ending means that thie nonsense will never see the light of day ever again.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh totally best anime of the year.........................not.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:50 am Reply with quote
I was already someone who disliked Future Diary for its poor characterization and over-reliance on Yuno's Yandereness being a feature, but I'm hearing people who LIKED Future Diary saying this is horrible. I'm curious.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I was already someone who disliked Future Diary for its poor characterization and over-reliance on Yuno's Yandereness being a feature, but I'm hearing people who LIKED Future Diary saying this is horrible. I'm curious.

Future Diary had a sense of self-seriousness that played to its (albeit juvenile and obnoxious) strengths. It wasn't a show I'm particularly fond of, but for edgy teen fodder focused on animated violence it at least knew what it wanted to be and how to go about it.

Big Order is missing nearly all of that. It attempts (but constantly fails) to strike some weird balance between ridiculously overpowered special abilities, downright bizarre character dynamics, and a negative amount of narrative cohesion. Add on top of that a soundtrack that I'm pretty certain was trying to singlehandedly sabotage every potentially "cool" moment and you get a weird tone deaf mess that meanders from one plot thread to the next like a rabbit that's been brained by a passing car and is instinctively jerking itself forward towards its final resting place.

It's also a god damn blast and one of the funniest shows I've experienced in a while. Whether by design or accident that final episode had nearly every trashy idea, brainless cliche, and atonal emotional aims I could have hoped for. It's like somebody smashed Code Geass together with Sakae Esuno's Pixiv bookmarks and sloughed the resulting mess across my face for 20 minutes. God bless this awful, burning dumpster of medical waste.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
It's also a god damn blast and one of the funniest shows I've experienced in a while. Whether by design or accident that final episode had nearly every trashy idea, brainless cliche, and atonal emotional aims I could have hoped for. It's like somebody smashed Code Geass together with Sakae Esuno's Pixiv bookmarks and sloughed the resulting mess across my face for 20 minutes. God bless this awful, burning dumpster of medical waste.

Man, I'm starting to feel a little outclassed with some of these amazing descriptions! I do genuinely think it's interesting to look at the capability of shows like these to be ironically entertaining, especially since this show definitely didn't hit that button for me, when it seems to have done so for so many people.

As big part of it is probably this particular show's narrative incohesion. Other terribad shows tend to have some kind of through line, an anchor of plot or at least some kind of basic sequence of cause and effect. Big Order's refusal to play by even the oldest rules of comprehensible storytelling made it curiously difficult for me to digest in a way that allowed it to be entertaining, at least in the moment. Maybe now that the whole thing is done, it'll be easier to look at the whole thing and laugh.

I don't know how many readers here follow the manga, but I'm super curious to know how much of these foibles are because of the adaptation process, or if they're rooted in the source material itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7