• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Big Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
One of the better animes this season [...]
So keep hatin haters because this anime will only get more interesting and enjoyable.

I think it's plenty interesting and enjoyable myself, though I assume not in the way you'd like.

BlackPoint. wrote:
at least it was more interesting the that overhyped hero academia offered in the 3 episodes so far....

Now who's being a hater, in the strictest terms?
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
DeConTras wrote:

TarsTarkas wrote:

Real life is far scarier than anything depicted in anime.

Anime is the last thing you should be watching, if you are looking for tame depictions of darkness.

Ah,yes. No anime ever will even come close to conveying the horrors of showing up to the ACT without a No.2 pencil. (lol,but seriously. I am genuinely interested in knowing what kind of environment do you live in, if your real life is scarier than the numerous battle royale type of anime out there).

I genuinely doubt you do want to know. And frankly, as someone who has lived through what the late, great Terry Pratchett would call "interesting times," i find it pretty messed up to mock someone for theirs. Just saying.

Mocking this mess of a show is completely on the table, though. Can any manga reader explain to me why that one guy has a tree stump for a head?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
If you hand a kid a loaded gun, someone is going to die. Whose fault is the deaths, the kid's or the one that gave a loaded gun to the kid.

The wish giving angel (lovely demon) even said he didn't wish for world destruction. A much greater placement of blame must lie on her shoulders. The reviewer makes it seem like Eiji is inherently evil.

Also, when death is on the line, all social mores, social contracts, and any other new age political correctness goes out the window.

I find it hard to believe that the reviewer is talking about 'agency' in regards to Rin, Eiji's prospective murderer. If you want to murder me, the last thing on my mind is going to be how you feel about it or how me defending myself infringes on her rights and agency.
The smart thing Eiji should have done was to kill her, permanently dead. Really, the reviewer should be praising Eiji for letting her live in any fashion. If I had a bunch of executioners chasing after me, you can be sure, I'll be using the heck out of my mind control powers to LIVE.

I think the reviewer has forgotten that Big Order doesn't take place in Kansas.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
My favorite thing about this episode is Eiji's little sister reading Friedrich Nietzsche as a small child.

I'd have loved for her to say, "Onii-chan~ morality is herd instinct in the individual."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
I think the reviewer is reading a little too in depth into this series, yes its a mess but trying to analyze all the underlying meanings and consequences and motivations is just going to lead to frustration (thus the low review scores I'm guessing), it's a crazy show with a crazy premise filled with people with crazy powers. Episode 2 and he's already at the head of an army that has declared war on the world, this brings back a lot of memories of code Geass, just turned up to 11. With this kind of show you just need to sit back and enjoy the ride, don't think too hard.

I'd say my biggest criticism is that the MC never takes full advantage of his powers. He should have controlled all the Soldiers he met along the way "protect me with your lives and follow all my orders." would be a simple enough to say. It would have been a good solution for getting past the time stop guy as well. Hell he can even control physics, why didn't he control all those traps to stop them from going off. he's making this way harder than it should be.

I'm quite enjoying this series, I did skim through the first couple chapters of the manga and noticed there were a couple of differences so after the anime finishes I'll probably go back and read it from the beginning.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
This has been a great anime so far.

The comical stupidity of her dying at every trap kept me entertained.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
true.. i'm also getting the Mirai Nikki+ Code Geass vibes from this series

but so far so good.. not sure what's the story is at the moment.. at least it's better than Chaos dragon or Utawarerumono false mask

Haruhi was confusing as heck back then so let see how this series will turn out
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
A general question to those who have seen the show:

I have heard that the show has a generally nihilistic view of humanity in a way that could be seen as short sighted in a similar vein to Jacob's pervious review of Future Diary.

Is this true and if so, does it impact the show's characters and story in any negative way?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, Eiji-sama hasn't seen many anime! You never touch a girl's "ears", let alone grab them when she tells you she'll get pregnant.Take responsibility!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
My reaction after watching episode #3.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Wow, Eiji-sama hasn't seen many anime! You never touch a girl's "ears", let alone grab them when she tells you she'll get pregnant.Take responsibility!

Well to be fair to Eiji, it's usually a lie when they say something short of the main event will result in pregnancy (though not on their part). And it usually doesn't happen nearly instantaneously Shocked or come to term almost immediately after Shocked. Truly a WTF moment. This show's got that primo WTF.

I wonder how many kids they'll have by the end.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
A general question to those who have seen the show:

I have heard that the show has a generally nihilistic view of humanity in a way that could be seen as short sighted in a similar vein to Jacob's pervious review of Future Diary.

Is this true and if so, does it impact the show's characters and story in any negative way?

I would say that, as of right now, the show doesn't have the clearly focused mean streak that Future Diary ended up getting to, but there are flashes of it throughout. This week had a genuinely dark execution scene, but this show is so all over the place that it just kind of disappears into the background, instead of being in your face about it.

Though in Big Order the whole country is apparently cool with the idea of murdering children on live television, so I'm willing to bet we're travelling down a familiar path.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
This show man. This show...

I kind of feel sorry for James that he has to go through this and review it each week lol.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
This show man. This show...

I kind of feel sorry for James that he has to go through this and review it each week lol.

Don't feel bad for me! Writing criticism for websites like ANN has been my dream for years, so I'm genuinely happy to be covering anything! Plus, I feel like the show might actually get terrible enough to be fun soon, so in a weird way I'm looking forward to seeing more? And who knows, maybe Big Order will surprise me?

If it were Super Lovers, however...
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
I don't have a problem right now with the tonal shifts. We have been almost exclusively seeing the story from the perspective of a character who has been blamed for destroying the world, and blames himself for it, but which we know he is at least not solely responsible.

The morality aspect so far has been in keeping with the morality aspect of most anime that delve into the question of morality. Again, given the minimal visual offering regarding the rest of the world, and the decidedly non-post-apocalyptic look to most of it, it is easy to forget that this is supposed to be a story set in a world that has faced Armageddon. Many, many, anime have used that setup to justify horrible atrocities to anyone that is tangentially connected to the disastrous event, logic be damned. As for Eiji, he's been trying to keep it a secret for a long time that he was involved, has a little sister he knows is dying, and is borderline suicidal if his sister is out of the picture... I think it is understandable that he'd be a little unfeeling towards those interfering in his life in any way.

It has been mentioned that Eiji hasn't used his power again until recently - he made a promise to himself not to use it or something along those lines. I thin that is the main reason his deft in strategically using it is not particularly great. He isn't a genius like Lelouch, so he's not set to unpack brilliant plans or anything like that.

All in all, the story seems closer to Geass than Mirai Nikki, and not all that much close anyway. The allusions are there, but it's not anything that those shows did different from other anime out there. I suspect that the show isn't planning on doing anything particularly grandiose as some might be expecting from it, which is likely what is effecting its reviews and scores right now. I believe that the main thread this show is going to be looking at is the futility/double-sided nature of wishes. It will likely end up exploring, as it says in the opening, how individual wishes may be innocent and seemingly "good" but how the compounding of those wishes can lead to chaos and destruction. It will be more about telling that story, than trying to convince viewers of that particular manner of thinking. It may not be an anime classic in the making, but it is getting a rougher treatment in realm of critics and fan views than I think it probably deserves at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7