• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Big Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett said in review wrote:
Extending Domination to “Reality Manipulation” is a bit of a stretch, but I'm willing to go along with it.

Maybe not all that of a stretch. Using his domination sounds more like he is establishing a Demesne, and all that falls into that Demesne is under his control to some degree.

As to the variability of control, perhaps it is a function of the individual strengths and weaknesses of his enemies. Not really unheard of.

Though it is sad to hear that they are not getting the correct balance of humor and seriousness.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
@DRosencraft
I think that could be taken as an issue is that theme wise it is TOO close to the creators previous work Mirai Nikki, not neccesarily in regards to character (which both series DO feature characters that are all too similar) but in regards to trying to present concepts.

There is little doubt the show is leaning on a form of nihilistic representation which Mirai Nikki already tread upon, the problem can potentially come in the manner if the audience actually WANTS to follow such a show which is simply a play to show off "what kind of world do you live in when everyone is an asshole to some degree?"

I mentioned this earlier, in such regards it reminds me of the co season release of Kiznaiver which also presented a bunch of in universe unlikable characters and there strange ordeal by being forced to interact with one another, for my tastes I found Big Order significantly more appealing though it seems Kiz seems to be the better critically received show between the two.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the reviewer's questions about the scope of Eiji's power, I take it the first episode didn't have him flip cars and control parking garages before he fought Rin?

And while Bunny Priestess is actually pregnant spoiler[she doesn't actually give birth IIRC. It was a phantom pregnancy that her and Eiji stop... somehow... and then she just joins his harem. Oh yeah, the edgy action thriller is also a harem romcom.]
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
This show man. This show...

I kind of feel sorry for James that he has to go through this and review it each week lol.

Me too! Ep 3 put this show on my official cut list. Life is to short to watch this hot mess. I really pity the reviewer though.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kinds weird so far but I will continue to watch.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
His power is to control objects and the actions people by striking them with one of his tendrils within a certain radius. That's it.[/u]
Yreva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it isn't actually good, but I really love watching it nonetheless. I read some of the manga a long while ago and wasn't compelled to read more, but I really like the sound and art direction that the animation is taking so I'm gonna keep watching. Although I would disagree with reviewer when they said it doesn't feel like the show has a sense of purpose or vision. There is definitely a goal here and plot threads connecting to a grander scheme in the making, it's just that it's very haphazard in it's approach. It's like walking into a mine field, and I for one am enjoying the insanity :3
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then thirty seconds later, the show decides to shoot Rin in the head for a cheap laugh,

For a cheap laugh? As far as I can tell Rin was shot then to "prove" Eiji was shooting the others. Rin's the only one he can truly shoot and have her fine afterwards. So he shot her for "proof", then cut the transmission before she revived. Leaving the government with he impression that he was indeed the mastermind, and someone willing to shoot his own underlings in cold blood to demonstrate that killing hostages would gain them nothing. As there was no reason for Rin to be there at the time instead of in a prison cell like he'd last seen her, Eiji suspected the white haired guy of setting it up. So I'm pretty sure the take away isn't supposed to be "haha Rin died again". Are you assuming that that campy jazzy music is supposed to indicate a comedy scene? Or are you just assuming that every time Rin dies it's supposed to be a joke? I'm pretty sure neither is the case.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="GrayArchon"]
Quote:
Are you assuming that that campy jazzy music is supposed to indicate a comedy scene? Or are you just assuming that every time Rin dies it's supposed to be a joke? I'm pretty sure neither is the case.

Well the campy jazz music was definitely a factor, but the entire scene was structured with standard comedic framework and timing. Rin leaping in without any warning was shot and animated in a way that clearly defined it as abrupt and bizarre, which many people would read as intending to be funny, or at least amusing. The shot to her head, combined with that campy jazz music and Rin's over the top yelling, cane together to form a standard ironic punchline. You're very right when you point out how the bit itself is functioning story wise. My problem had more to do with how the over the top drama and tension they were trying to build up in that scene didn't mesh at all emotionally with what directly followed it.

Plus, the show used the death montage last week to explicitly set up the joke of Rin trying to murder Eiji, and then having it backfire and end up maiming her somehow. So I'm not making assumptions so much as I am working with the what the show has provided. Episode 2 literally plays Rin's attempted murdering of Eiji like Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner. Because of that, I feel like there's not much else for me to go on when a reprisal of that same exact beat shows up in this episode.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode #3

OK, so after I had some time to digest that whole "insta-pregnancy" thing, I think that the show's mechanics can are quite simple. Eiji's Order is "Dominion," or in others words "command," such as "I command the bullet to stop short of hitting anyone," "I command the ceiling to not fall." And since he said that he needed to "fortify the coastline," it can be assumed that while his Order/"command" can be initiated anywhere in his proximity, it can remain in effect even when he isn't around. Case in point, he isn't bringing the entire Group of Ten with him.

Another thing is about the apparent lack of submission by the Group of Ten, despite being placed under Eiji's Order; I think that it is less about being a complete, automated puppet that moves by command, and more about "you'll work in order (no pun intended) to help me achieve my goals." Now, depends on what that means and how that executed, it could also turn into "fight me to save me." In the show Naruto, the titular character clashed with (what he calls) his best friend to the point of physical and mental exhaustion numerous times, all in the name to "help him." Although that approach of reasoning raises a different question, "How can they knowingly orchestrate such a scenario while still maintaining their loyalty to Eiji?" One possible solution that I can think of is the Group having made preparations beforehand (like when they revealed that Eiji is the one who holds the Order that created the Great Calamity).

As for Eiji's lack of ability of Dominate the stone golem, I was baffled as well; for an Order such as Absolute Dominion, not being able to Dominate the stone golem seems odd. I hope that the show will explain that at some point.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'm dropping this show.

I've realised that I've grown out of whatever mental state I was in when watching Future Diary. Even back then I felt that the show was stupid, but for some reason it didn't bother me as much as it does now. Episode 3 of Big Order was nauseatingly stupid, and unfortunately it doesn't look like the show has a hook that can keep me in.

If it gets better I'll just marathon it later, but I highly doubt it.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:
Are you assuming that that campy jazzy music is supposed to indicate a comedy scene? Or are you just assuming that every time Rin dies it's supposed to be a joke? I'm pretty sure neither is the case.

Well the campy jazz music was definitely a factor, but the entire scene was structured with standard comedic framework and timing. Rin leaping in without any warning was shot and animated in a way that clearly defined it as abrupt and bizarre, which many people would read as intending to be funny, or at least amusing. The shot to her head, combined with that campy jazz music and Rin's over the top yelling, cane together to form a standard ironic punchline. You're very right when you point out how the bit itself is functioning story wise. My problem had more to do with how the over the top drama and tension they were trying to build up in that scene didn't mesh at all emotionally with what directly followed it.

Plus, the show used the death montage last week to explicitly set up the joke of Rin trying to murder Eiji, and then having it backfire and end up maiming her somehow. So I'm not making assumptions so much as I am working with the what the show has provided. Episode 2 literally plays Rin's attempted murdering of Eiji like Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner. Because of that, I feel like there's not much else for me to go on when a reprisal of that same exact beat shows up in this episode.

Yeah, it's probably a big mistake to assume the music is supposed to indicate a comedy scene. As best I can tell, with the campy jazz music they're going for the sort of campy music that would fit an old super hero show like Evil Ranger is likely supposed to be. It's certainly reminiscent of the sort of music that would play during a montage of the hero's investigating something, or a scene of the hero trouncing a bunch of mooks. Like the insert song near the end of the episode that sounds like it's supposed to be Evil Ranger's theme song, the music playing when Eiji shot Rin is essentially "Eiji doing something" music. Hence why it started up when he started shooting, and ended when he was looking at the white haired guy with the chess pieces.

Basically Eiji got his power based on a wish he made because he wanted to be like his favorite cartoon hero. The anime, for better or for worse, decided to give Eiji theme music to match that sort of chessy super hero. So going "oh, campy music is playing, I must be supposed to laugh now" is likely missing the point of what they were going for.

As for the rest, while yes last week played Rin dying for laughs, it was very obviously playing them for laughs. There was nothing else going on, and no other possible point do them. That doesn't mean that her dying should always be dismissed as intended to be a joke, especially when there's some other obvious purpose for it. Look at it this way. The first episode treated it as serious, and the second episode as a joke. Now it just treats it as a common place thing that happens. Just one more ability of hers to make use of like her ability to regenerate other things. Need someone to take a bullet for the team? Go with Rin because she's best suited for it. Some times it might be played for jokes, other times it won't.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
...And while Bunny Priestess is actually pregnant spoiler[she doesn't actually give birth IIRC. It was a phantom pregnancy that her and Eiji stop... somehow... and then she just joins his harem. Oh yeah, the edgy action thriller is also a harem romcom.]
Well so far I see no signs of spoiler[phantom pregnancy], so I won't flip anything just yet. I loved the end of Ep3 and played over and over for a good laugh. I hope the best for the young family...Meanwhile, I think the "traitor" in Ep4 here is a bit far fetched, having him first "betray" Eiji spoiler[and then whoops, he was really a double agent! Our real objective was this special Order over here...] Seems like this show likes pulling plot twists out of the air and smacks of poor planning or writing. Still, it doesn't have me wanting to "pull up stakes" yet.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
Personally I'm not sure they aren't bluffing with the Order that can spoiler[stop nukes.] I'd try and call it if I were the UN.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Episode #4:

If Eiji managed to slow the missile down significantly for it to be grabbed by the Rock God, why hasn't he used his Order to, I don't know, dismantle/disarm the missile, or shut-down its engine? One possible explanation I can think of is that Eiji can't issue an Order when he himself doesn't understand the subject's workings, but then again he manipulated gravitational forces in a localize area, so that's probably not it...

I'm also don't quite understand how Eiji's Domain works, because the drainage canal area was within his Domain, but the streets above weren't. I thought that his Domain was a radius around him.

ANN's Ep. 4 review wrote:
It probably helped that the focus this week was much more defined. Our protagonist needs to manage the Rock God scenario while also dealing with the nuclear warhead that the UK has launched at the abandoned city he's stuck in.

A typo; it should be the U.N.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7