• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School Fleet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... if your plan to defeat a submarine involve it getting its propeller stuck into a rope you threw in the ocean (attach to something or not) you better start praying for plot armor. Also, nice of them to just overlook the fact that they probably killed a bunch of student in the submarine.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
ep 3-This series keeps making more questions and almost no answers. So basically it looks like a bunch of ships are suddenly mutinying (the display at the beginning of ep 3 shows several sunk ships). However is it a conspiracy, or some kind of mind control or something, the german girl mentions all their electronics went crazy and then everyone started disobeying orders. I have a feeling their friend on the battleship also experienced a mutiny probably. This better not end up like puella madoka again
I'm glad someone else caught that situation board hint that there is something bigger going on than the Harekaze being "framed" by the teacher for some reason. I am also glad that there is an actual story lurking because if had kept to being about what I'll say are "idiot girls doing stupid things on a ship" I'd be on my way out. The way it was, I was having a very hard time believing any of the girls other than Mashiro and the engineer could do anything to operate a ship and why everyone just goes with Akeno being captain I can't guess. I actually think the writers are doing well to keep some secrets in order for the viewers to experience the story from the Harekaze's crew perspective before making the wider story known. I think patience with the gathering questions will be rewarded in a few episodes, based on the present pacing. P.S. Puella Magi Madoka Magica, usually just the last two. I don't think this series will go that way, though, with all the explosions it seems the writers have been keen on no one getting badly hurt.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah... if your plan to defeat a submarine involve it getting its propeller stuck into a rope you threw in the ocean (attach to something or not) you better start praying for plot armor. Also, nice of them to just overlook the fact that they probably killed a bunch of student in the submarine.

But the sub survived the blast (somehow) and was clearly intact in the following scene where it surfaced.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
ep 3,

This series keeps making more questions and almost no answers. So basically it looks like a bunch of ships are suddenly mutinying (the display at the beginning of ep 3 shows several sunk ships). However is it a conspiracy, or some kind of mind control or something, the german girl mentions all their electronics went crazy and then everyone started disobeying orders. I have a feeling their friend on the battleship also experienced a mutiny probably. This better not end up like puella madoka again

Actually, the display doesn't show red as "sunk," but as "enemy." One can see the Harekaze signal -- both the name (晴風) and the callsign (Y467). I think that the "lost" notification is due to some other reason -- maybe the system doesn't have an identifier for mutineers or enemy ships, or maybe the "lost" is for "lost communication." I do believe, however, that there's something big going on, maybe a coup d'état?

I find the moe-to-serious balance to be holding quite well for now ("Anyways, let's just run away." "Let's fire at them!").
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
meiam wrote:

But the sub survived the blast (somehow) and was clearly intact in the following scene where it surfaced.

Human don't do well with strong pressure change, even if the sub hull wasn't pierced any crew member near the blast would be dead. They obviously took some damage, otherwise they wouldn't have surfaced, if the machinery is broken the far more fragile human aboard are also gonna be broken.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that apparently every ship east of 140° longitude is lost, with the exception of the Harekaze which is only a couple of degrees west of that. The lost ships also seem to be in the middle of a mostly sunken group of islands, which probably are the source of phenomenon.

The latitude numbers on the map are wrong though, as latitude doesn't go above 90, and in real life there don't seem to be any islands southwest of Tanegashima as indicated on the anime map. Smile

I was hoping they'd wait around and try to rescue the boys or at least talk to them to get a clue about what's going on, but I guess the approach of the teachers' ship made that problematic. I was at least glad they tried to message them with Morse Code, but I wasn't clear on why they needed to use their sonar pings for that. Just hammering away on the submerged hull of the ship with a big wrench should've been detectable by the sub, without looking like they were trying to locate their position.

You can tell by the technical nitpicking that this episode didn't give me anything else to chew on. Not even a cliffhanger. Sad So far Scotty and Brown Sugar are best girls.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4,

Damn, this series just keeps on adding more mysteries on top of everything. Now we got mind controlling hamsters or something to that effect. The fact that it was planted on the ship (and probably on other ships) shows that's why the crews were rebelling. So how exactly do they explain that? Aliens are invading or something?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 4,
Now we got mind controlling hamsters or something to that effect.

Seems more like an infection along the lines of Rage Virus or Hinamizawa Syndrome, with rodents being the vector from which it's spreading, hence why the ships with cats on board hadn't been hit by it. I'm not so sure it was deliberately planted on the ship either, seeing as there was some kind of isolation container inside the box, but whatever was holding it closed had failed. Maybe that happened when the box it was in fell off of another ship, or from bumping into the sides of the box repeatedly while it was bobbing around in the ocean.

Still, somebody may have blown open a ship carrying test animals with the intention of unleashing the hate plague on the Blue Mermaids. What I'd like to know most right now though is whether seawater cures it, or if taking a sudden dunk like that is just enough to snap someone out of their delirium until they come under stress again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
This is feeling more and more like anti-women-in-the-military propaganda. These pampered ninnies can't manage their toilet paper supply and you put them in charge of a battleship, with actual weapons? I'm waiting for the pms jokes where they start firing on everyone who crosses their paths. :/

I'm not humorless, but there are ways to make this premise work with cute and funny and endearing characters without it being downright insulting. I'm just annoyed that they went for the cheap and easy jokes.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 4,
Now we got mind controlling hamsters or something to that effect.

Seems more like an infection along the lines of Rage Virus or Hinamizawa Syndrome, with rodents being the vector from which it's spreading, hence why the ships with cats on board hadn't been hit by it. I'm not so sure it was deliberately planted on the ship either, seeing as there was some kind of isolation container inside the box, but whatever was holding it closed had failed... What I'd like to know most right now though is whether seawater cures it, or if taking a sudden dunk like that is just enough to snap someone out of their delirium until they come under stress again.
Bingo. My call is that an enemy of the BluMers thought to cause an insurrection with genetically modified rodents that secrete a psycho-active substance that causes a paranoid reaction. Maybe the plan was to have the Japanese and Germans suspect the other and cause an international incident to discredit the BluMers. On the Hanekaze, there was no "planting" but the box was fished out of the water, the girls remarking it was from a mail-order company. That fact makes me think an enemy sent these boxes to certain of the larger ships and the girls opened them assuming someone ordered something only to be overcome with the cuteness and mayhem ensued. On a side note, I find it a little disturbing that there is a Japanese Toilet Federation or that they maintain statistics like 12.5cm/day paper use.

I'm not sure this is propaganda against women as these are beginning high-school girls and the women of the actual BluMers are shown to be capable and level-headed. However, I'd question the judgement of anyone who would suggest these girls be let loose on a ship without supervision!
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe this story is actually going to move forward with "mind controlling rodent"... It's just really hard to take anything seriously...

Still the live of life part are nice if nothing exceptional.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Can't believe this story is actually going to move forward with "mind controlling rodent"... It's just really hard to take anything seriously...

Although there's no absolute guarantee that it won't turn out to be psychic alien hamsters, until the show gets to a point where the characters find this out, I can't see why anyone would find what we've seen of this turn of events so far to be all that preposterous. Let's take a look at the effects of certain diseases spread by animals in the real world:
Quote:
As rabies progresses and causes inflammation of the brain and/or meninges, signs and symptoms can include slight or partial paralysis, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations, progressing to delirium and coma.

Quote:
Consistent and significant differences in Cattell's personality factors were found between Toxoplasma-infected and -uninfected subjects in 9 of 11 studies, and these differences were not the same for men and women. After using the Bonferroni correction for multiple tests, the personality of infected men showed lower superego strength (rule consciousness) and higher vigilance (factors G and L on Cattell's 16PF). Thus, the men were more likely to disregard rules and were more expedient, suspicious, jealous, and dogmatic. The personality of infected women, by contrast, showed higher warmth and higher superego strength (factors A and G on Cattell's 16PF), suggesting that they were more warm hearted, outgoing, conscientious, persistent, and moralistic. Both men and women had significantly higher apprehension (factor O) compared with the uninfected controls.

Then of course there's also psychoactive toads, and several hallucinogens and other mind-altering chemicals can be absorbed right through the skin. Neither bioengineering a weaponized infection that affects behavior, nor genetically modifying an animal to produce psychedelic compounds capable of entering someone's body on contact, are the least bit implausible.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is feeling more and more like anti-women-in-the-military propaganda. These pampered ninnies can't manage their toilet paper supply and you put them in charge of a battleship, with actual weapons? I'm waiting for the pms jokes where they start firing on everyone who crosses their paths. :/

I'm not humorless, but there are ways to make this premise work with cute and funny and endearing characters without it being downright insulting. I'm just annoyed that they went for the cheap and easy jokes.

I'd be more worried about the fact that all these wannabe Blue Mermaids aren't aware that the shortened term among actual members is Blumers/"bloomers". And what they want for additional supplies are torpedoes, sausages and vacuum tubes... if it wasn't for the girl who wanted magazines on model ships, I'd swear they're really asking for something else.

Wait, they're all basically cylinders and the magazine can be rolled up.... huh. Or do I mean eww?

I think this is being written by a woman so that's the best joke of all. Even High School Girls would look at some of these jokes and say "Women are just as perverse as the guys, there's no need for all the innocence as humor." but then it looks closer and says "Oh, I didn't notice that. Or that."

I've been reframing the entire series in my mind as some sort of extended cultural sex joke- I noted the act of slipping on a banana peel in the first episode and getting all wet, I just didn't think about it in that way. No wait, I connected it to the Excel Saga opening but I didn't think it meant the same thing- and the third episode is best thought of as all the girls seen on the boat and all the guys unseen on the sub and then thinking each craft as an extension of that sex....

I'm not sure about this as entertainment but it's fascinating to break it down as symbolism. But where something like High School Girls was overt with its sexual themes, this one is subversive. But it's there, waiting, lurking, to pounce on unsuspecting girls when they least expect it...

And I'm rooting for the "mouse" to be a lemming, a lemming in a locked box. It'd be a 70 year old, obscure reference but Japan's surprised me before. But the actual effect it caused was to unleash their... animal instincts!. Tama, more importantly then going all crazy at the thought of being cornered, was running around on all fours.
Sitensis

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I'm pretty sure the hamsters are carriers and not the source. Could be the test subject of a secret weapon under development or something as well.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac: Thanks, Satan...I don't know what's worse, that you spent non-negligible mental effort to find all this or that it seems to fit! Now I won't be able to watch Ep5 without thinking about it. Twisted Evil A fan of Shimoneta? The toilet paper (inner roll) is totally pervy, I should have seen that (mimics Anna's "aha")!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5