• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flying Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping Makoto spell would instead summon a pheasant, would have payed off from the first half.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
^
I was also thinking that during her spell. Summoning the same pheasant she was chasing would have been amusing.
stevek504

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was also thinking that during her spell. Summoning the same pheasant she was chasing would have been amusing.
I had not even gone down that path. I was thinking that this was the foreshadowing of her turning out to be a very powerful witch. If that pheasant had shown up - that would have been a VERY funny ending. (I bet they didn't think of it).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of missed jokes, I was so expecting Chinatsu to ask this new oddly dressed stranger if she was the Harbinger of Summer.

Quote:
Flying Witch stayed the course this week in an episode that devoted half of its running time to appreciating the magic of gardening

I was also expecting Nick to say it devoted half of its running time to running. Smile I get the feeling he's struggling to find good things to say about this, since he used the word "celebrate" three times in the first two paragraphs, and resorted to words like "nice" and "fine" (several times) and "reliable" to describe the series. It seems like he enjoys it, but isn't enthusiastic enough to reach beyond trite and repetitive descriptors.

Why was "sister" in quotes? Is she not her actual sister?

I think my favorite part of the episode was the father. Listening to him talk was musical.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
I do think this anime was ment to be a pure slice of life anime!
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think my favorite part of the episode was the father. Listening to him talk was musical.
Yeah, I loved that as well. I knew that having most of the characters speak full-on Tsugaru dialect all the time would have been impractical since it's really hard to understand for outsiders (a common joke is that it sounds like French to Japanese people from other places), but I was still hoping to hear a bit more of it than the occasional be from Kei. Now I wonder if we'll hear Nao speak it as well, since her voice actress is a native speaker.

I also liked what the German and Italian subs did for translating the father's lines, rendering them in Kölsch and Venetian, respectively (the Spanish ones went with one of the dialects that drop the final s's, not sure which one). The English ones looked pretty weak in comparison, really didn't capture the impenetrability of the dialect at all.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was very strong in my opinion.

After its first third Flying Witch remains a solid show. I am not enjoying it as much as I would like to, but there is plenty of time left for it to get better. I would be happy if Flying Witch turns into something along the lines of Gingitsune.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

The opening paragraph of the review was hilarious. Very Happy However
Quote:
incidental humor (Makoto's silly portable cauldron)

What was silly about it? It looked like a very nice one to me. Small cauldrons are quite practical for indoor or patio use, especially if you don't have a fire place. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
ep 4,

this show is so damn adorable, everything from Kei being scared of the haunted house to people's reactions to Inukai's appearance.

One thing that seemed odd is that in the end it seemed that there was no cure and they just needed to wait for it to wear off, and somehow it ended up wearing off that exact day after being in effect for a whole year? plot convenience there.

And even if it was inukai's fault that she ate the chocolate it was a bit of a dick move for Makoto's sister to just ditch her for a year in that form. She could at least have stopped by to check up on her.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Chinatsu was great this episode - I love how seamlessly she transitions back and forth between the roles of excited child and deadpan commentary dispenser. I also love how the episode aired shortly after the full bloom of sakura in the actual city of Hirosaki.

#844391 wrote:
One thing that seemed odd is that in the end it seemed that there was no cure and they just needed to wait for it to wear off, and somehow it ended up wearing off that exact day after being in effect for a whole year? plot convenience there.
It didn't. They mention several times that the spell only works during the day.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I love how seamlessly she transitions back and forth between the roles of excited child and deadpan commentary dispenser.

The bit where she was pestering the then-nameless fortune teller with questions was priceless. So Japanese kids do that too it seems.

We never did get to see a fortune told did we?

review wrote:
Overall: B+

So I read the whole review and I don't spot where the "A" was missed. Not only did I not see a flaw in the episode myself but none were mentioned in the review either. Watching this actually just feels good the way few visual productions can. It is on par with Non Non Byori or Usagi Drop that way.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Nick Said
Quote:
...we get a little too drunk and end up transforming into a dog.
Maybe a little anal, but I'm fairly sure she is a fox despite her name. I had the same reaction as Chinatsu-chan and at the same time, she is super-cute! If only it were real I'd be a customer for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Nick wrote:
Maybe a little anal, but I'm fairly sure she is a fox despite her name.

Maybe a lot. He was describing a universal experience, and while I'm sure some people transform into wolves, coyotes, tanuki, dingos, and yes, a few foxes (usually depending on how drunk those around them are), most of us just turn into plain old dogs.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Nick Said
Quote:
Maybe a little anal, but I'm fairly sure she is a fox despite her name. I had the same reaction as Chinatsu-chan and at the same time, she is super-cute! If only it were real I'd be a customer for sure.

Well she was more brown then red so I think she's a dog.

Anyway, show is still awesome, not a lot of joke, but they almost all land very well which is very impressive. And the live of life fill in the time in between them very well. Chinatsu is definitely a great character, and that's coming from someone who almost always hate kid in shows.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
One minor thing I do find a little bit refreshing about Flying Witch is that the cat familiars don't speak human language (or at least they haven't in the first three episodes that I've seen) despite some major seiyuu talent providing meows and purrs.

I know the witches can understand what the cats are saying (and vice-versa), but it's in the same way that C-3PO can understand R2D2's beeps.

I'm not saying that I don't also like cat familiars who do speak "human", like Luna or Jiji (or Tama from Kamichu!, for a more obscure example) but it's nice to see a magical anime switch things up with cat communication skills for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7