• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Nagatsuki Tappei's Re:Zero Ep 25 Live Tweets Translated

https://www.reddit.com/r/Re_Zero/comments/53dhi1/?st=it9sob2v&sh=b619ea0b

Found this on Reddit. It's a really nice read and at least i got to know how Mr. Beetle got K.O'd on the card. Wink
Tyler Bregg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Emilia's character doesn't get any real development until arc 4 which has alot of stuff and makes her a better character and for certain reasons rem doesn't have any more development after this spoiler[rem's existence get's eaten by the bishop of guiltily and ends up in a coma state with no one but Subaru to remember her Emilia's even worried at one point that Subaru has romantic feelings towards Rem even though she doesn't remember her anymore it's also reviled Emilia's over 100 years old (I've heard of couples with huge age differences but damn Betelgeuse is reviled to be a close friend of Emilia's relatives but the witch drives him mad to the point where he can't even recognize her anymore] I don't think Emilia's the witch it's just that she needs the body of someone of the same race to inhabit I'm pretty sure there are other half elves with silver hair out there
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
For all its problems, I don't think I have been as thoroughly entertained in a long time.
I do not recall being so interested in what will happen next, and having my predictions on the story course hit at about 10 percent success rate.

Constantly blindsided, often completely wrong.

Can not wipe the huge grin off my face.

More please.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Depressing that we have reached the end..
Not a perfect series, but this is one of those once a decade rare gems that you have to go through plenty of "meh" before you find it.

Needs more Rem...
Otakuteen18

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I have the first volume of the manga but I would like to know is the show going to have a season two? if not then I'm going to watch it at my own pace.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
At this point, no one knows for certain if there will be a second season. I am sure many of us would prefer that there would be more coming in the future. Only time will tell. Here's hoping.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:

What I do have a problem with, is Rem and how she basically only knows Subaru for a short while and not just falling in love with him, but getting into a totally unbalanced slave like position where she simply does everything for him with nothing in return. I understand Japan is a sexist country and Rem is some kind of wet dream for otakus, but I find this pretty disturbing. Subaru and Rem probably only know each other for just a few weeks or something.

Short while in the actual watching time of the anime, but that is not so in reality. The anime doesn't show all the boring parts of real life, and there were indications that time had moved along when you weren't allowed to watch. But even in the actual watching time of the anime, there was still a lot they did together that wasn't very important, but just very normal.

I understand that in today's world where everything under the sun is considered sexist, it makes it hard to differentiate what is actually sexist. What you are describing is basic human nature, of which men and women are quite guilty of. If you have FALLEN in love hard, but know that the other person is not there, what is there to do, but be there for them. Hope and pray that your time together will matter. It means ensuring that you have time together, and that does mean orbiting around them so that you will be noticed. Time is short, and nothing is fair in love and war.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Also people miss the point that Rem's unwavering devotion still didn't win her the guy. I haven't read further source material but I have a feeling that Emilia will continue to be the main girl. Rem threw her entire being at a guy, and he politely rejected her and continued to run after a woman who is more independent. So you can argue that it's sexist but also shows it doesn't work.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Is this Rem's official theme song, then? Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is this Rem's official theme song, then? Twisted Evil

I think that's the theme song for all us Rem fans. *Cries single tear*
stilldemented

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
What an emotional rollercoaster! Laughing

This has been a fun show to toss thoughts out about. I've littered the review section with my investment. I think this show alone doubled my post count on ANN. I always have a lot to say about characters, psychology, and fantasy as narrative.

I love the way the show bound different tales to different characters. Wilhelm's characterization can be linked to Moby Dick (which is a white whale). The twins are linkable to The Red Ogre Who Cried.

And many elements of Subaru's journey remind me of Greek literature. The fact that the show is caked in tragedy more or less brings that point full circle. There's probably a great analysis to be had about how very Greek this story is by nature.

I'm incredibly fascinated by the possibilities within the narrative. I personally interpret the 'harem' aspects at play as something of a Chekhov's gun. The love triangle between Subaru, Rem, and Emilia has so many ways of linking back to Emilia's connection to Satella the Jealous Witch. I've built up enough good faith for the writer that I feel the love triangle serves a vital purpose to the story yet to come. Because of that, I'm not as inclined to dismiss it as something as simple as otaku pandering.

It also isn't lost on me that Emilia and Satella share the same actress. HMM... Cool

I love it. I loved everything about this show. Waiting for the inevitable Season 2 announcement will be painful. I'm very optimistic in that regard. No real worries.

Anyway, I'll give a big shout out to Theron Martin for all the great write-ups. I know we talk about the show more often than the review itself, so I'll take this post to simply say thank you for all of your hard work. It has been a blast.

Also, thanks to the users in this thread. Been a fun time discussing! I don't know that I've ever seen a thread with so many pages that remained so consistently civil. That's an accomplishment in and of itself. Razz

It has been a fun ride! Smile
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Tyler Bregg wrote:
Emilia's character doesn't get any real development until arc 4 which has alot of stuff and makes her a better character and for certain reasons rem doesn't have any more development after this spoiler[rem's existence get's eaten by the bishop of guiltily and ends up in a coma state with no one but Subaru to remember her Emilia's even worried at one point that Subaru has romantic feelings towards Rem even though she doesn't remember her anymore it's also reviled Emilia's over 100 years old (I've heard of couples with huge age differences but damn Betelgeuse is reviled to be a close friend of Emilia's relatives but the witch drives him mad to the point where he can't even recognize her anymore] I don't think Emilia's the witch it's just that she needs the body of someone of the same race to inhabit I'm pretty sure there are other half elves with silver hair out there

Just a point to be made, but Stellia's body is the one thing that the dragon, mage and great spirit could not destroy. So, it stands to reason, that her body is still existing somewhere and why would the cult be trying to find a new vessel when the real one exists?

TarsTarkas wrote:
Iemander wrote:

What I do have a problem with, is Rem and how she basically only knows Subaru for a short while and not just falling in love with him, but getting into a totally unbalanced slave like position where she simply does everything for him with nothing in return. I understand Japan is a sexist country and Rem is some kind of wet dream for otakus, but I find this pretty disturbing. Subaru and Rem probably only know each other for just a few weeks or something.

Short while in the actual watching time of the anime, but that is not so in reality. The anime doesn't show all the boring parts of real life, and there were indications that time had moved along when you weren't allowed to watch. But even in the actual watching time of the anime, there was still a lot they did together that wasn't very important, but just very normal.

I understand that in today's world where everything under the sun is considered sexist, it makes it hard to differentiate what is actually sexist. What you are describing is basic human nature, of which men and women are quite guilty of. If you have FALLEN in love hard, but know that the other person is not there, what is there to do, but be there for them. Hope and pray that your time together will matter. It means ensuring that you have time together, and that does mean orbiting around them so that you will be noticed. Time is short, and nothing is fair in love and war.

Just to let you know, after the end of arc 2 it is stated that more than a month has passed, so between the chat subaru had with rem in the mansion and his interference in the conference at least a month has passed by. Also, there is no indication of how much time has passed from the time Emilia dumped him at Crusch's place as he was training with Wilhelm. The time spent at Crusch's mansion Rem is the only one with Subaru and we have no indicator to tell us how long that has been.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
there is no indication of how much time has passed from the time Emilia dumped him at Crusch's place as he was training with Wilhelm. The time spent at Crusch's mansion Rem is the only one with Subaru and we have no indicator to tell us how long that has been.

4 days iirc. in the first loop rem said "you haven't gone out at all these three days, shall we go to the market tommorow?"

and quit the low key bashing on emilia wtf. roswaal specifically said it's quite a feat to convince ferris who is known for being eccentric, and successfully form a contract with crusch who we saw was so strict during subaru's first negotiations, and then still uphold the contract even after their dispute. she did him such a huge favor and you call it dumping?
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
The time spent at Crusch's mansion Rem is the only one with Subaru and we have no indicator to tell us how long that has been.

Rem, says it's been 3 days since the incident at the palace. So a pretty short amount of time.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching this show. I thought Subaru was annoying and obnoxious in the beginning, like a clone of Okabe from Steins;Gate, just without all of the actual depth and complexity, and constantly being predictably "meta" about everything, but by the end he'd actually became quite an admirable and selfless character with a very satisfying arc that these kind of characters rarely receive. Aside from that, I felt that they did a good job of avoiding predictable character archetypes, and the story was almost always relatively unpredictable. Though I have to say, that one specific OST (you guys know the one) that constantly played over scenes that were supposed to be really dramatic and suspenseful elicited near uncontrollable laughter from me every time. Overall it was a pretty good show with some wonderfully inspired moments. Episode 18 in particular was impressively engaging for basically just being two characters standing around and monologuing for 25 straight minutes.

Also, I don't know what everyone's so mad about, Emilia is clearly best girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 72 of 73