• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And finally, Subaru turns really obnoxious when he slides into his geeky mode. This story works better when it doesn't resort to being “meta” and distances itself at least a bit from wallowing in light novel clichés. Of course, given the source material, that may be too much to ask.

This is so far my biggest issue with the show. It's been entertaining enough, despite it taking Subaru so long to figure out what was happening to him, but every time the dialogue begins to turn meta and Subaru goes on those rants I instantly begin to lose interest. I let out a large sigh in episode 3 when Subaru started his bombastic talk of having rescued Emilia when up to that point I was enjoying the action for the most part.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
This will likely be a favourite of the season for me along with Ace Attorney. I have no problem with Subaru, if anything it actually seems like his way to make light of a situation and calling out the parts you get in things similar. Which tbh, probably helps with the whole situation of being stuck in another world and the actual real problems and processing needed to accept that. But ya, I quite like him.
SpookyPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
I honestly really love Subaru's personality and jokes. I'm kind of surprised some people in this thread dislike him so much, but to each their own.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

To me that came across as pent-up frustration at having been killed by her 3 times already. That's "normally" a situation where you'd want to keep a low profile, but he thinks she can't permanently kill him, so he just let all the insulting things anyone would love to say to her come pouring out, just to get it off his chest. I could identify with that. When you really hate someone, don't you wish you could just spew at them without having to worry about any consequences of saying exactly how you feel about them? Smile

I think I'd be more okay with that idea if Subaru was shown to be more cavalier towards death, even just a little bit, but he's terrified of dying again, and understandably so, so shouldn't his priorities be more skewed towards survival?

I dunno, it just feels like these were very obviously parts of the original (web?) novel that had dialogue in it, and the show takes these awkward little pauses to incorporate it when it would make more sense to make that dialogue internal, or just excise it completely. Like when Subaru and Emilia are talking about her trump card; I half-expected the very competent Bowel Hunter to take advantage of their distracted conversation to attack one of them, but she very politely lets them finish. Same for the bickering between Felt and Subaru; for all the sounds of battle in the background, not a single errant dagger flies towards the two engaged in a silly conversation? It just strikes me as odd and jarring.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

I think I'd be more okay with that idea if Subaru was shown to be more cavalier towards death, even just a little bit, but he's terrified of dying again, and understandably so, so shouldn't his priorities be more skewed towards survival?

He already debated whether he should help Emilia and co back in ep 2 and choose to prioritize saving them over his own needs because he couldn't bear the of guilt of letting people die when he could have done something about it. He also feels indebted to Emiia for saving his life in the 1st cycle and rather come to like Felt and Rom. He knows the risks but he doesn't want these people to die, Emilia the most of all..

whiskeyii wrote:
I dunno, it just feels like these were very obviously parts of the original (web?) novel that had dialogue in it, and the show takes these awkward little pauses to incorporate it when it would make more sense to make that dialogue internal, or just excise it completely. Like when Subaru and Emilia are talking about her trump card; I half-expected the very competent Bowel Hunter to take advantage of their distracted conversation to attack one of them, but she very politely lets them finish.

Um, I think you missed that fact Elsa has been playing around with them for most part, she's intentionally let do it because it won't matter because she entirely confident she beat them which is entirely true. It's not web novel or light novel thing either, as lot of overconfident antagonists in most media do that.

Quote:
Same for the bickering between Felt and Subaru; for all the sounds of battle in the background, not a single errant dagger flies towards the two engaged in a silly conversation? It just strikes me as odd and jarring.

She doesn't attack them because she is too busy fighting Emilia. What would be the point of doing that and leaving herself randomly open?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Still, there's enough intrigue, mystery, and world-building to keep me invested, but yeesh, do I wish we had a different protagonist.

agreed, but my experience wiht time loop shows and life or death shows is that they affect the mc's personality tremendously, so I will endure.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

She doesn't attack them because she is too busy fighting Emilia. What would be the point of doing that and leaving herself randomly open?

Because she's later shown to be proficient enough that she won't leave herself open? I just get this vibe that the show allows these poorly-placed talky moments that tend to interrupt the flow of the show, or downplays the competence of certain characters. It just really undercuts the tension for me, and tends to skew a little too close to "because the plot says so" or "plot armor" for me to take it as seriously as the show seems to want me to.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I just get this vibe that the show allows these poorly-placed talky moments that tend to interrupt the flow of the show, or downplays the competence of certain characters. It just really undercuts the tension for me, and tends to skew a little too close to "because the plot says so" or "plot armor" for me to take it as seriously as the show seems to want me to.

Yeah, the series is definitely guilty of this, and it's a point that I will bring up in future reviews if the writing keeps doing it. In fairness, though, this is a common anime flaw which results from trying to adapt straight-up things that work in comic or novel form but aren't feasible in anime or live action. And that's exactly why I don't mind when adaptations take significant liberties with the source material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:

Because she's later shown to be proficient enough that she won't leave herself open? I just get this vibe that the show allows these poorly-placed talky moments that tend to interrupt the flow of the show, or downplays the competence of certain characters. It just really undercuts the tension for me, and tends to skew a little too close to "because the plot says so" or "plot armor" for me to take it as seriously as the show seems to want me to.

If that were the case she wouldn't been driven as far back she was now until Reinhard showed up. Here's funny thing most anime have bad habit of invoking the "Talking is a Free Action" trope in where the participants would enter a would attack then stop to talk each and attack pattern over and over again. This episode actually avoided all that by have not having dialogue boggle the battle down and instead weaving it in between the action with few breaks. Furthermore if someone was being allowed to have small a conversation that was because in most instances opponent was dealing somebody else. Subaru and Felt were allow to talk because the strongest member in the room was fighting Elsa whose full attention was on her (not to mention the fact that they were in the corner of the room). There is no plot armor there. Your just nitpicking pointlessly at something that was reasonable most part moreso than most shounen.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:

If that were the case she wouldn't been driven as far back she was now until Reinhard showed up. Here's funny thing most anime have bad habit of invoking the "Talking is a Free Action" trope in where the participants would enter a would attack then stop to talk each and attack pattern over and over again. This episode actually avoided all that by have not having dialogue boggle the battle down and instead weaving it in between the action with few breaks. Furthermore if someone was being allowed to have small a conversation that was because in most instances opponent was dealing somebody else. Subaru and Felt were allow to talk because the strongest member in the room was fighting Elsa whose full attention was on her (not to mention the fact that they were in the corner of the room). There is no plot armor there. Your just nitpicking pointlessly at something that was reasonable most part moreso than most shounen.

You can call it nitpicking if you like, but it is seriously hampering my enjoyment of the show. As Key pointed out above, I am well aware that Talking is a Free Action appears a lot in media that doesn't make a successful leap into anime form, but here it just feels unusually prolonged to me. It's like if, during Steins;Gate, the side characters just let Okabe ramble on during one of his diatribes instead of cutting in with a "Yes, yes, get on with it". Whereas in this show, it feels like everyone happily indulges these long ramblings.

That might not be a big issue for you, but for me, it's a little too obvious that Re:Zero seems, at present, mostly concerned with being a blow-by-blow adaptation, rather than thinking about what does and does not work in a different medium. But like I said, it's enough to bother me, but not deter me.

I am, however perfectly happy to agree to disagree with you on that front and just leave it at that.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
This ends up to be the show I enjoy the most. The eps were consistently captivating and always nicely timed with a cliffhanger of sort at the end. I'm also cool with all the characters who all possess their unique charms. I thought it would be boring with the repetitive death and coming back but there was no dull moment. It deemed necessary that he must somehow come back to the right time, met the certain person at a certain time to trigger the right chain of reaction to save the day. And that makes the plot somewhat unpredictable and interesting. I like that. For ep 3, it's nice that they used the time for the OP and ED for the show itself. So far, I can't complaint.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:

You can call it nitpicking if you like, but it is seriously hampering my enjoyment of the show. As Key pointed out above, I am well aware that Talking is a Free Action appears a lot in media that doesn't make a successful leap into anime form, but here it just feels unusually prolonged to me. It's like if, during Steins;Gate, the side characters just let Okabe ramble on during one of his diatribes instead of cutting in with a "Yes, yes, get on with it". Whereas in this show, it feels like everyone happily indulges these long ramblings.

That might not be a big issue for you, but for me, it's a little too obvious that Re:Zero seems, at present, mostly concerned with being a blow-by-blow adaptation, rather than thinking about what does and does not work in a different medium. But like I said, it's enough to bother me, but not deter me.

I am, however perfectly happy to agree to disagree with you on that front and just leave it at that.

Alright fair enough then.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This show is quickly raising to be among the top in my Weekly Eagerly Waiting list. I liked the plot and the action scenes thus far (with #3's scenes feeling like having even greater grandeur than the previous pub fights).

I also felt that the ending of episode #3 was akin to the transition between different LN volumes; that was quite the break in the show's flow, there. I wonder if the Loop's Start Point is "permanent" (i.e.: in front of the appa shopkeeper), or it can be "overwritten" to be set at a different location. I'd go with the latter, because it is more convenient that way, plot-wise, and it won't aggravate the audience too far -- this ain't no Dark Souls Anime smile + sweatdrop *shudders.*

The BGM during the fight scenes in episode #3 were also spot-on, IMO, and helped make them all the more exhilarating.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show much more than I thought I would. Whilst I am a fan of Sword Art Online I did miss out on Overlord, so I'll keep up with this. It also works in that I'm a fan of Theron Martin, and now I can read his thoughts on a show every week. A show that clearly is not liked by the other critics, much like Sword Art Online before it.
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
One thing I noticed is that Puck isn't as annoying as I expected. In fact, she'is the most endearing character of all the group. I wish she was in another show (like Twin Star Exorcists, in which the pet is awfully annoying).

And Subaru's meta dialogues reached another level of annoyance. His conversation with Betty were the most enjoyable of them all, maybe because she can't stand him just like me. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 73