• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tonari no Seki-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Gotta say, I love Seki-kun, but agree with the rating. Feel like a lot of the comedy is really something I'd only want to experience once, as there are similarity between episodes, but that is also what I liked most about this comedy.

It's strange for me to love a series, but not want to rewatch it. Do feel like this show's power is more in the initial experience, rather than something that'll stay fresh no matter how many times you watch it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I have a new Saber on pre-order for June/July from Ami Ami lol. Saber isn't even my favorite from the Fate universe either. Love me some female Rider. Saber though just has so many honestly beautiful and well designed figures. Which is what I base a big part of my figure buying on. Sure I buy figures for series I like but I've also bought figures I had no idea what the show was they were from because they looked so nice. Hence why I have 4 figures from hentai series lol. Also shows why I have so many Ikki Tousen figures. The series not great by any stretch, same with Queen's Blade, but damn do they make some nice figures for the series. And lots of them too. At this point I think I want at least 1 Saber figure for each version of her heh. Might as well shoot for it given how many I already have.

Yeah, after Miku, Saber is a perennial favorite of makers and presumably collectors. Is your new one GSC's Saber Bride, if I may ask? I have that one on preorder myself.

I've bought some figures without seeing the source material myself. I got a God Eater and a Rage of Bahamut figure before their animes came out and without playing their games. The particular characters weren't even seen in the animes anyway. Those to were purely out of appreciation for their craftsmanship (Ciel Alencon and Dark Angel Olivia respectively)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Man, that collection brought back some memories. Many of those discs are ones that I purchased when I first started collecting. Many are also ones that I had to pass on because I was in high school and could only use the money I got working odd jobs. Pay from my regular work on our family farm was considered savings only.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Psycho101
Kinda amazing that you have lots of them. By the way, won't you pre-order the newest Princess Tutu DVD, too? I'd recommend it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Yeah, after Miku, Saber is a perennial favorite of makers and presumably collectors. Is your new one GSC's Saber Bride, if I may ask? I have that one on preorder myself.

I've bought some figures without seeing the source material myself. I got a God Eater and a Rage of Bahamut figure before their animes came out and without playing their games. The particular characters weren't even seen in the animes anyway. Those to were purely out of appreciation for their craftsmanship (Ciel Alencon and Dark Angel Olivia respectively)

Yes it is the Saber Bride figure lol. Go figure I log on to AmiAmi and there's 3 new Saber figures for Pre-Order on the front page. Dammit. That Fate/Grand Order one looks reallllly nice too. Shit.

LightYapper wrote:
Psycho101
Kinda amazing that you have lots of them. By the way, won't you pre-order the newest Princess Tutu DVD, too? I'd recommend it.

Already did. Laughing I never had my own copy actually. I borrowed a friend's dvd copy back in the day to watch it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Yes it is the Saber Bride figure lol. Go figure I log on to AmiAmi and there's 3 new Saber figures for Pre-Order on the front page. Dammit. That Fate/Grand Order one looks reallllly nice too. Shit.

Granted the Okita Souji one and Master Arthuria have been up for preorder for some time (kinda surprised that the Okita Souji one is still up since it's been up since January). The posing especially is great. I'd go for it but I have a bunch of preorders in the June/July window already.

The Saber Bride is great. A rare Saber Bride that has her top zipped up. Not that I mind personally (Oh my do I not mind) but it would be kinda awkward to show other people. I believe it was done by the same sculptor as Ciel Alencon.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The Saber Bride is great. A rare Saber Bride that has her top zipped up. Not that I mind personally (Oh my do I not mind) but it would be kinda awkward to show other people.
Just don't show them the back of it... Laughing

I liked Seki-kun a lot. I watched it in 3 episode chunks until I caught up with the broadcast. The episodes varied in how funny they were, but the Robot Family one had me laughing out loud.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
The Saber Bride is great. A rare Saber Bride that has her top zipped up. Not that I mind personally (Oh my do I not mind) but it would be kinda awkward to show other people.

I liked Seki-kun a lot. I watched it in 3 episode chunks until I caught up with the broadcast. The episodes varied in how funny they were, but the Robot Family one had me laughing out loud.

I have to admit I personally prefer the figures with the clothes on and stuff not unzipped, ripped clothes, etc more often than not. Virtually all of my Queens' Blade figures can be posed topless. Same goes for the Ikki Tousen figures. The skirts also all come off. The hentai figures obviously ca be posed nude as well. I never saw the point in it. Part of buying the figure is for the "look" it has. The aesthetics of the whole thing. Taking off part of the clothing to me takes away from it. Same goes for the ones who display the figures with "battle damage". Sometimes they're ok but most times I like the figures with a full outfit. Also helps to warrant spending the money on them lol.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Cerceaux wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I have to admit I personally prefer the figures with the clothes on and stuff not unzipped, ripped clothes, etc more often than not. Virtually all of my Queens' Blade figures can be posed topless. Same goes for the Ikki Tousen figures. The skirts also all come off. The hentai figures obviously can be posed nude as well. I never saw the point in it. Part of buying the figure is for the "look" it has. The aesthetics of the whole thing. Taking off part of the clothing to me takes away from it. Same goes for the ones who display the figures with "battle damage". Sometimes they're ok but most times I like the figures with a full outfit. Also helps to warrant spending the money on them lol.

Never saw the point of figures than could be posed nude, eh Smile

I also like mine clothes on as well. I keep my single castoff Queen's Blade figure clothes on and on a low shelf (skirt is fairly revealing unless seen from above). I am regretting getting Koto's Megumi, especially after GSC announced theirs (if you've seen the figure in question you'll know why it's relevant). I also have more swimsuit figures than I had hoped (just 4 but still).

Yes I am aware of the butt window, Cerceaux
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Oh, remiss of me to not have made a comment on Psycho 101's collection. Some awesome figures there! Also, love the case, something I don't have room to set up myself. Maybe, one day, I'll move into a place where I can display my figures like that!

And, taking a 2nd look, just noticed the thumbs up Jesus among all them anime girls. Laughing

I will say, I've never been able to bring myself to buy a figure in a bikini...part of it is embarrassment. I'd say that the most risque figure I've gotten is this Tokisaki Kurumi figure. Though, the one I always expect comments on is this Laura Bodewig figure...sometimes I feel like I fell too far down the otaku hole when I bought it. Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. The small curio cabinet was a gift from my parents years ago. I used to order some pricey but very gorgeous statues and figures from Franklin Mint catalog. Then it became a nice home for some of my favorite anime figures. I get how some of the more scantily clad figures would be a bit embarrassing for some to display. I however feel no such shame lol. I do keep the more risque figures in the hobby room/guest room to be nice. Keeps the gf happy.

That Tokisaki figure is pretty nice looking though.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
Haha, it is a nice looking figure. And, I kind of have it high up, so you can't really notice what she's wearing...unless you get really close to it. But, the Laura in a wedding dress...it's clear as day, but I couldn't pass it up when I saw the figure. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2