• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HayateTokidoki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:
I just wanted to add a comment to my survey that didn't really fit in to any of the questions that were asked. I used to read a lot more reviews on here, but lately I've been turned off by the Shonen Jump Weekly stuff creeping in. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash was particularly bad, with constant complaints about there being any fan service despite it being infrequent and, for the most part, barely noticeable. It's a turnoff to read a review that bashes something like that as being inherently and objectively negative.

I know it's the norm now for video game and anime sites to go crazy with labeling things sexist. However, it's not in line with what most readers think and people tend to not like reading things saying their interests are bad. Personally, I've stopped reading Kotaku and Polygon altogether, and I've quit reading your reviews.

Okay. I'm done. If you're going to have the forums set up to replace references to social justice warriors with Shonen Jump Weekly, you've probably passed the point of no return. I'll find another site to get my anime news and info from.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Good to know that you guys care about our opinion.

I have going to ANN Site for some time now. Is my regular way to keep up with anime news and new shows.

I realty like to see the reviews of new shows here and is one way to me to know what shows i will keep a look at, except when is a Moe/harem/fanservice show.
If i have any complain is the miss of some kind Moe/fanservice corner. I think in not the only fan of this anime genre here but sometime i have a felling that i have to go look some other sites to really know if a Moe/fanservice anime that are going to start is good or bad because here is like almost all of that shows are bad just because have lot of fanservice or because are "another battle/harem LN adaption".

But everything else is great here.
More podcast please.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Tue May 10, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:
I just wanted to add a comment to my survey that didn't really fit in to any of the questions that were asked. I used to read a lot more reviews on here, but lately I've been turned off by the Shonen Jump Weekly stuff creeping in. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash was particularly bad, with constant complaints about there being any fan service despite it being infrequent and, for the most part, barely noticeable. It's a turnoff to read a review that bashes something like that as being inherently and objectively negative.

So I don't usually complain about excess fanservice in my anime, since yea, it kinda comes with the territory.

But Grimgar's fanservice REALLY seemed completely out of place for the mood they were trying to project and the story they were trying to tell. There was zero reason for the camera to be so obsessed with Yume's butt, and for me, it frankly pulled me out of the moment whenever it happened. Not quite "tonal whiplash", but something like that. I think it was completely fair for the reviewer to point it out in a negative way.

I think ANN's reviews on fanservice content in general are mostly fair. I did not see any reviewers rants about Monster Musume having too many boobs, for example. It's only when the fanservice is 1) out of place (like in Grimgar) or 2) Kind of creepy and/or nonconsensual (e.g. Super Lovers) that I see ANN reviewers actively calling it out as "bad" fanservice.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Glad there's now an "I live in Japan" option, which I don't remember there being in previous surveys, but still it's hard to answer some of the questions because they don't apply to me. Sites like Crunchyroll and Daisuki.net are blocked in Japan.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:

Okay. I'm done. If you're going to have the forums set up to replace references to social justice warriors with Shonen Jump Weekly, you've probably passed the point of no return. I'll find another site to get my anime news and info from.

That's not really new news. They have been doing it for awhile already.

DrunkAyanami wrote:
It's only when the fanservice is 1) out of place (like in Grimgar) or 2) Kind of creepy and/or nonconsensual (e.g. Super Lovers) that I see ANN reviewers actively calling it out as "bad" fanservice.

The problem is not negative reviews of fan service. ANN reviewers can, when they want to, write fair and balanced negative reviews of anime (even fairly commenting on fan service). The problem is when they start pronouncing moral judgements, because they also paint that show's fan base.
_citrus

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't really an entry in the "Do you speak Japanese" that reflected my skill level - if you can call it that. Smile

I learned Japanese academically in high school and college, and I haven't really used it for much of anything except watching TV since. So, I can kind of half-way keep up with anime dialogue, but I'm not actively studying the language. I doubt that I could pass a JLPT right now, but answering "actively learning it" didn't seem quite right, either.
jason.davis.378

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Why did they want to know if we planned to move to Japan in the future? That one seemed strange to me... What did you all think?
Zepoleba

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, the weak link of this site are the critic reviews.
I would like to see reviews written by people with careers in anime, animation, or even closely related fields as is expected of film critics.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Should have asked for some feedback regarding the forum. How pleasant it is to use, opinion of moderation, stuff like that. It is a major part of the site, but it was barely discussed in the questionnaire.
GrimaH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
While doing the survey it struck me that not wanting ANN to move to a subscription model meant that I really should naturally turn off my adblock for the site.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
^ I thought the same thing, and I use an ad-blocker as well, but the one I use really only blocks pop-ups. The big ad that wraps around the top and sides, the ads that pretend to be articles, the banner ads and the small ones at the bottom all come through. All of which are fine by me, though at times I wish I could turn off the wrap-around ad at work for free Embarassed .
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The problem is not negative reviews of fan service. ANN reviewers can, when they want to, write fair and balanced negative reviews of anime (even fairly commenting on fan service). The problem is when they start pronouncing moral judgements, because they also paint that show's fan base.

Can I ask for an example of when they've done this? Are we talking about Super Lovers? Because the preview guide isn't really indicative of the weekly reviews, where they actually try to match up reviewers to stuff they actually LIKE.

I think that you can call out a show for bad portrayals of women/relationships/etc. without bashing on the fan base. Just because I think 50 Shades of Grey is a creeptastic example of a terribly unhealthy relationship doesn't mean I think my mother-in-law is a bad person for liking the book. But it IS going to reduce my own enjoyment of the book, and that's fair game to point out in a review. There is no such thing as an objective review after all.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:

There is a specific reason why that was done. That reason being every time that term gets brought into a topic the discussion goes south. It inevitably ends with people being warned, put on moderation, the thread being locked or trashed, or some combination of them. There is no quality discussion that stems from that term and topic. And what pray tell does that term/topic even have to do with anime news to begin with eh? If you're that hurt and offended that it's not allowed here anymore you're more than likely not here to simply discuss anime topics to begin with I would theorize.

Zepoleba wrote:
In my opinion, the weak link of this site are the critic reviews.
I would like to see reviews written by people with careers in anime, animation, or even closely related fields as is expected of film critics.

For starters critics in film, IE hollywood, make a HELL OF A LOT more than reviewers here or other anime websites/companies. It sounds to me like what you want are people who do voice acting, directing, script production, etc. right? The problem is most people who work in the anime field directly, as in somehow getting the anime itself made or distributed here, work extremely long hour for very small pay. So you're asking them to come to a website to do reviews here when most are already overworked as is. Not to mention such reviewers that would prefer to do the reviews here would also demand a much higher salary as well.

As for our reviewers here the vast majority, if not all, have studied film or journalism to some degree. Zac would not hire someone to do reviews who had no experience in writing them. Not unless they could compose a review that was so thoughtful and mind shattering that he had to wipe tears from his eye and question his own existence. We might have one of those people here. Plus simply working in the field of anime does not equate to having journalism experience and the knowledge or skill to craft a review or break down a show by it's components.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
HayateTokidoki wrote:

I know it's the norm now for video game and anime sites to go crazy with labeling things sexist. However, it's not in line with what most readers think and people tend to not like reading things saying their interests are bad. Personally, I've stopped reading Kotaku and Polygon altogether, and I've quit reading your reviews.

This has nothing to do with "Social Justice." Gratuitous fan-service and other pandering tropes are bad writing, pure and simple. It's something that has plagued anime since long before "Social Justice" became a thing and it's something that many of the critics on this site have criticized since 1998.

We have NO policy regarding this material. Our policy is to hire competent critics who know how to write and understand a bit about film theory beyond merely being opinionated consumers. As it happens, people who understand film at a literary level tend to think pandering is bad.

So yeah, if almost every competent critic thinks this shit is bad... it should tell you something.

Most of us have nothing against eye candy, T&A, nudity and explicit situations. We have a problem with those things being haphazardly tossed into plots where they don't make sense.

People don't fight crime in goddamn bathing suits and leotards, and medieval armor is is supposed to cover the flesh. Get over it.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

People don't fight crime in goddamn bathing suits and leotards, and medieval armor is is supposed to cover the flesh. Get over it.

Yeah, tell that to the people that draw the suits of American female comic action heroes like Elektra, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Supergirl,and Wonder Woman.

And what should we think of the armor of Red Sonja, Xena the Warrior Princess and other high fantasy female warriors like the Valkyries.

Eye candy is used since the beginning of comics and movies. Some people love it, some people hate it.
What is somebody trash is other people treasure.

I understand that most of your critics think fanservice shows are trash, but i hope you understand also that this stance are alienating a big part of the anime fandom and that ANN could try to reach that part of anime fans also.

Just so you don't think that fanservice fans think that just because of be heavy in fanservice the anime is good ,let me give some examples.
The first 2 seasons of DxD was excellent, but the last season was very bad.
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, Queen's Blade was some of the best fanservice shows but shows like Rosario to Vampire, Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut were pretty bad, and im not the only one thinking that.

It would be good if a critic that can understand the place of fanservice in this genre of shows would tell if this is a good fanservice show or a bad fanservice show. But of course if is the thinking of your critics that "Gratuitous fan-service and other pandering tropes are bad writing" then in noting we can do except to looking in another sites for this kind of information.

Of course for the other anime genres this is the place to read good reviews.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8