• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases, April 17-23

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RightStufTanukiMinion
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Baccano! (9780316270366) was delayed until May 24

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Baccano-Novel-01-Hardcover
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
RightStufTanukiMinion wrote:
Baccano! (9780316270366) was delayed until May 24

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Baccano-Novel-01-Hardcover

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for a lot of titles. Monster, Say I Love You, Noragami, and (even if it's delayed) Baccano!'s novel. Shocked

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Big week for me. Already got everything in the mail. The Gods Lie, My Monster Secret, Noragami, Say I Love You, and A Silent Voice.

Already read Gods Lie, and enjoyed it. Loved the art style...and would like to read more of Ozaki's work. Though, seems like she's mostly done one-shots. And the longer series she did was licensed, sadly, by TokyoPop. So, that series isn't complete in English.

Damn...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Dorohedoro volume 18 was out
lys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Already read Gods Lie, and enjoyed it. Loved the art style...and would like to read more of Ozaki's work. Though, seems like she's mostly done one-shots. And the longer series she did was licensed, sadly, by TokyoPop. So, that series isn't complete in English.

Even incomplete, Immortal Rain is really really good, if you ever come across it. TP published most of the volumes, so we at least got a substantial chunk of the story. (I did import the Japanese volumes to finish the series, and stumbled my way through them despite the lack of furigana... so that's an option too :) )
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Even incomplete, Immortal Rain is really really good, if you ever come across it.

There's a part of me that will never allow me to buy an incomplete series. Which is why I'm not backing the KOR Kickstarter, since they need to get to just under $120k in order to print the whole series.

When avoidable, I'll not have an incomplete manga series sitting on my shelf. OOP is one such instance of it being avoidable. Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
@lys

Just how many volumes of Immortal Rain were there? The encyclopedia entry here is messed up showing only eight volumes for both US and Japan while showing more volumes in France. Also, going by the encyclopedia it would take a small fortune to just get the eight TokyoPop volumes.

Also, having read the gods lie, all I can say is that it is a very odd little book.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@lys

Just how many volumes of Immortal Rain were there? The encyclopedia entry here is messed up showing only eight volumes for both US and Japan while showing more volumes in France. Also, going by the encyclopedia it would take a small fortune to just get the eight TokyoPop volumes.

Also, having read the gods lie, all I can say is that it is a very odd little book.

Japan had 11 volumes (and a 1-vol prequel under a different title); Tokyopop released the first 8. I guess the books may be getting scarce to find used now? (I bought the series after Tokyopop went out of business, but it was still a few years ago) ...although it looks like Amazon's got all eight available in its marketplace, and v8 is the only one above retail price ($12.86); the rest are well below it, even accounting for shipping.

edit: it seems that ANN's encyclopedia page is prioritizing Rakuten (why?) for its price listings, but if you click through on a volume you'll see Amazon/B&N listings that are much much lower.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
@lys

I didn't go beyond the encyclopedia page. I'm not in the market as I bought them all as they came out. They are in storage with the rest of the TokyoPop titles I have.

It has been a long while, but as I remember, Immortal Rain is very different from what I just read. Someone who read the gods lie and went looking for more of the same will be surprised.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
^ That's kind of what I like to hear. Usually, when I look into a mangaka's other work after enjoying one, I'm not after the same thing again.

Still, sadly, as there aren't any other works from Ozaki licensed, and the English release of Immortal Rain was cut 3 volumes before completion, there's nothing else for me to read.

Alan45 wrote:

It is, and I'd say the ending felt rushed. Still, I read it in one sitting (which is rare for me, as I like to only read a chapter or so a day of my manga), and it did impact me emotionally. I was surprised by how much the reveal of spoiler[their father having lied to the kids] pissed me off.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
In this era of copyright infringements (especially fan translations), I find it ironic that Baccano vol. 1 has the word "bootleg" on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1