• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Battle Angel Alita Film Tests 3 Actresses for Lead Role

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be Zendaya. Not only does she look the part, but she also is going to be in Spider-Man: Homecoming.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter's article notes that the movie has not yet been officially greenlit, as 20th Century Fox is negotiating the project's budget down from the $175-$200 million range.

I can't see Fox greenlighting this project at all with that budget(you can't skimp on the budget for a film like this).If Cameron were in the director's chair instead of producing they would do it in a heartbeat.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
B. Thorne please!
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
She's supposed to be half German/Japanese though right?
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood is about to live action all anime.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I dunno who any of these people are.

This film has been in limbo for ages, never gonna happen! These actresses are gonna be old hags before James Cameron's brain can finish up the Avatar sequels.

We'll get a proper anime adaption before this film ever goes into production.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Running Wild"]I dunno who any of these people are.
[quote]

Zendaya is a Disney Channel Star, singer, and model. She was also in Beyonce's new visual album Lemonade. She is really famous, lol.

Maika Monroe is kind of a new scream queen. She was the lead in The Guest and It Follows. She also was in The Fifth Wave. She is not super well known but she is not a nobody.

I only know Rosa from Man Seeking Woman though, which is a really unknown show on FX(X?).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter's article notes that the movie has not yet been officially greenlit, as 20th Century Fox is negotiating the project's budget down from the $175-$200 million range.
I'd been hoping this would see the light of day some time and that it might get an updated version of the visual effects that Cameron used in Avatar, but it sounds like they want to cheap out as much as possible Sad .

Why can't they just call it Battle Angel Alita instead of Alita: Battle Angel...? Oh, wait its Hollywood they will probably eventually change it to Battle Angel Jane because Alita will be too difficult for the marketing department to pronounce. Rolling Eyes

Anyways, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but I can't seem to shake this nagging pessimism.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Well it's a start I give it that but the big question is are they doing this film with James Cameron or not since he's going to be pretty busy with the Avatar sequels for quite a while. Confused
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Sadly James Cameron is only producing it and no longer directing. Robert Rodriguez is going to do it instead...

FOX trying to scale back the budget already kind of worries me... but if they just stuck to the few opening chapters of Alita which are smaller in scope they could do something cool.

Sadly I was hoping Cameron would do it as ironically the technology he was creating with Avatar was intended for his vision of Alita, where he could use an older experienced actress for performance capture and transport onto the CG body of a 14 year old girl who'd be completely CG, which would also make sense given the scope of Alita's completely cyborg body which gets destroyed or transforms often.

I doubt Rodriguez would go for the ambitious ideas of Cameron, but I'm hoping Cameron can steer him to implementing that. But given FOX's concern for the budget, it probably ain't happening...
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
It's going to be Zendaya. Not only does she look the part, but she also is going to be in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Saku-dono wrote:
B. Thorne please!

Oh God No! They are both terrible actresses and should not be cast. Since they both came from "Shake it Up" I am not surprised. Maika Monroe would be a better choice because she showed some acting chops in the movies that garlogan78 already mentioned. Except for The 5th Wave, but that was just not a good movie in general. As for Rosa Salazar she was also in the Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. I haven't seen her enough to have formed a opinion on her.

If I had to choose my choice would be Maika Monroe, but Rosa salazar is more of an unknown so she might be a good choice so people don't have preconceived notions of the actresses because who knows, the one that gets cast could surprise us.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
We'll get a proper anime adaption before this film ever goes into production.

I don't think so, especially if Fox is involved with this.

Dragon Ball had no anime adaptation between 1997 and 2009. We all thought it was because Dragon Ball GT didn't worked enough, but the real story was more complicated, and explained years later in this french book : when Fox acquired the rights to make a live action movie, it blocked all other adaptation, including from the Japanese, until the movie goes out. Wich happened in 2007, and then we got the original network animation "Return of Goku and his friends", Dragon Ball Kai, new anime movies and now Dragon Ball Super.

Hope i'm wrong, but i think it's the same problem with Gunnm : there cannot be any adaptation, including japanese, until Cameron releases his live action movie. He involuntarily blocked everything by acquiring the rights years ago.

Gunnm is a huge success and it's still published. Even if Yukito Kishiro has his temper, it's very strange it didn't get proper anime adaptation since 1993.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote
Maika Monroe seems like a solid choice. Casting outside of the box with Zendaya is also rather interesting and i like how young all 3 are. Comic adaptation really live of unknown(-ish) actors, new talents and former washouts.
Good old Jim has been dragging his baby for nearly 2 decades so he won´t cheap out now but i would like a realistic budget of 80-ish mill. There would be enough room to grow for possible sequels and the rumored Rodriguez (also solid) is a master with making more with less.
I have nothing much to judge on but still have no reason to start doubting.

@SuiSeiKen Gunnm will get an anime green-lit the second the cameras will start rolling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
@xchamp

I'm only voting for her since she's the prettiest Anime hyper
Kamen Rider Scorch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why can't they just call it Battle Angel Alita instead of Alita: Battle Angel...? Oh, wait its Hollywood they will probably eventually change it to Battle Angel Jane because Alita will be too difficult for the marketing department to pronounce. Rolling Eyes

Actually you can blame James Cameron specifically for the name change, due to his apparent tradition of his film titles starting with "a" or "t".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2