• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Battle Angel Alita Film Tests 3 Actresses for Lead Role

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
well, using a director that is not cameron works.

garlogan78 wrote:

Zendaya is a Disney Channel Star, singer, and model. She was also in Beyonce's new visual album Lemonade. She is really famous, lol.

only in the usa, lol.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Not if that director is Robert Rodriguez.

garlogan78 wrote:

Zendaya is a Disney Channel Star, singer, and model. She was also in Beyonce's new visual album Lemonade. She is really famous, lol.

She's Victoria Justice famous.

Which is to say outside of her TV roles and her awful music no one really knows who she is.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Hearing that Cameron's NOT going to do this, while he's living in six-year denial about how many Avatar sequels he's going to make for what will arguably be the rest of his career (unless he takes off after the next sequel and does another five years of underwater IMAX documentaries)--
I can't help but put it in the same category as George Lucas promising he was someday going to get around to directing "Red Tails" and "Radioland Murders", and then later just tossing them off to minor directors as forgettable cheap back-catalog studio filler during slow months, when he was too wrapped up in other franchise-identifying projects to care about personal ones anymore.

Yeah: Once upon a time, this was going to be anime/manga's big mainstream Hollywood validation.... Confused

(On the upside, it's nice to see Robert Rodriguez actually follow through on an announced project. Of course, he hasn't actually started directing it yet, either.)
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Zendaya looks the most like Alita, at least in these pictures. As far as her acting chops and whether she should actually have the role, though, I have no idea, since I've never even heard of her.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I know about Zendaya is that she has acne thanks to all the commercials I'd get hit with on You Tube last year. I never heard of her before those commercials and I haven't heard a thing about her since. So to me she's just the acne girl that wants to be an actress.

I know even less about the other two.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Not if that director is Robert Rodriguez.

Rodriguez has a very up-and-down career. His kid's flicks are utter trash, but his mature films are generally pretty good, likely due to him being Quentin Tarantino's best buddy.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
It's going to be Zendaya. Not only does she look the part, but she also is going to be in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Saku-dono wrote:
B. Thorne please!

Oh God No! They are both terrible actresses and should not be cast. Since they both came from "Shake it Up" I am not surprised. Maika Monroe would be a better choice because she showed some acting chops in the movies that garlogan78 already mentioned. Except for The 5th Wave, but that was just not a good movie in general. As for Rosa Salazar she was also in the Maze Runner: Scorch Trials. I haven't seen her enough to have formed a opinion on her.

If I had to choose my choice would be Maika Monroe, but Rosa salazar is more of an unknown so she might be a good choice so people don't have preconceived notions of the actresses because who knows, the one that gets cast could surprise us.

I never commented on Zendaya's acting skills. I just said that pretty soon she'll be banging Tom Holland in a film that will no doubt make her mega-famous (It's Marvel!), and knowing Hollywood they might go the extra mile. If going by acting though... I'm not familiar with any of them, but Monroe's in the new Independence Day movie, so we'll see.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean to be a hater but why is Zendaya so famous? I hear about her a lot and it seems like she is a rising star but what the hell has she done other than Disney Channel tv shows? I mean obviously she impressed somebody in the business because I hear talks of her being in Spider-Man homecoming but ummm but is she really getting this attention just off of the junk she has done for Disney Channel? I can't speak for her talent because I don't watch Disney Channel shows? Can anyone explain this to me?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
Dragon Ball had no anime adaptation between 1997 and 2009. We all thought it was because Dragon Ball GT didn't worked enough, but the real story was more complicated, and explained years later in this french book : when Fox acquired the rights to make a live action movie, it blocked all other adaptation, including from the Japanese, until the movie goes out. Wich happened in 2007, and then we got the original network animation "Return of Goku and his friends", Dragon Ball Kai, new anime movies and now Dragon Ball Super.

Except Dragon Ball Evolution came out in 2009, with Yo! Son Goku & Friends Return being a 2008 release.
A donkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they read the entire manga before they even settle for a lead actress.

Gally, (or Alita) is japanese.

Before she was rebuilt as a cyborg, she was an human girl named Yoko

I predict a "Last Airbender" box office dud if this gets on with any of these actresses
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
A donkey wrote:
I really hope they read the entire manga before they even settle for a lead actress.

I predict a "Last Airbender" box office dud if this gets on with any of these actresses

Last Airbender was a dud more so because it's writing and it's director.

Not because of it's actors being ill equipped or being "white-washed".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
A donkey wrote:

Last Airbender was a dud more so because it's writing and it's director.

Not because of it's actors being ill equipped or being "white-washed".

MOSTLY the director.
But also because the director wanted to do a two-hour-plus epic, which Paramount hacked down to ninety incomprehensible minutes to keep a "kids" audience, thoroughly baffling those unfamiliar with the series, and disappointing those who did know the story.
Although it's hard to say whether less Shyamalan was a better thing.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
A donkey wrote:

Gally was born and instantly converted to cyborg actually.

Anyway I have no idea of how this movie might turn out but I imagine it cannot be worse than GitS because James Cameron is very talented.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Anyway I have no idea of how this movie might turn out but I imagine it cannot be worse than GitS because James Cameron is very talented.

James Cameron isn't directing this film anymore. He'll probably be too busy with his Ferngully fanfiction to be intimately involved with this movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
Since Alita doesn't seem to be Japanese, the issue of ethnicity for her shouldn't be as much of an issue. However, I would choose Zendaya since she does resemble Alita. At least this news is a good progress point compared to the other anime-based movies still in the works
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2