• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime Mascot

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Pikachu has to be my number one favorite. Yet my second favorite is Timcampy from D. Gray Man. He doesn't get enough recognition I think. There's so many mascots I like, but Pikachu and Tim are for now my favorites.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Mokona. It's apparently quite memorable for my dad too. Until now, everytime he sees some weird but cute creatures in anime or Japanese games, he always calls them Mokona , heck, even Persona 4's Teddie Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Haro branches out color-wise in Gundam 00

The first multicoloured Haros were Lacus's in Gundam SEED.

The 00 Haros get props for usefulness (repair drones and pilot assist) but the prize goes to Uso's Haro from Victory Gundam. It actually piloted the Victory Gundam a few times and saved Uso's ass.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
WHERE THE HELL IS PUU.

Puu was freaking awesome. I laughed my ass off when he first appeared and everyone mocked Yusuke, but then I was crying when he was all hurt while trying to get Yusuke water when he was receiving the Reikodama. In the anime especially, that scene of Puu stumbling and Yusuke rushing to destroy the convenient falling rock was amazing.

Sadly, Puu didn't have as much involvement as Elizabeth (Puu does look like a weird Renho, tho), except in certain points, and Elizabeth is definetely on of the funniest characters in Gintama, and her arc was one of my favorites.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
I love the Penguindrum Penguins so much. They're kind of like the Shadow Girls of Utena, in that they're basically a Greek Chorus that reinforces and emphasizes all the stuff going on...except they do it completely silently, using physical comedy and funny props (and lots of bug spray.) Very often they're "commenting" on an event at the same time it's happening; the human characters are having drama, and meanwhile the Penguins are in the background, doing a wordless parody of the scene as it unfolds. They really are unique among anime mascots in how they contribute to the story.

THAT SAID, my favorite mascot ever is still Kero-chan from Cardcaptor Sakura, because he's just ever so dapper sitting in that easy chair, talking to the viewer about Sakura's outfits.

(Oh, and the worst mascot ever is Pokota from Slayers Revolution. Way to kill the franchise, you little turd.)
pauladls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Eevee and eevelutions
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
No love for Kyubei? The only mascot to be actually important to the story.
Cynical Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm also going to have to go with the fairies from Humanity has Declined. I love their brand of adorable chaos.
Hehaho1830

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say my favorite mentions on the list are Elizabeth and the Fairies... BUT the best Mascot character for me will always be the Prinnies from Disgaea, which did have a 12 episode Anime at one point, so they can totally count..... Plus they explode when thrown!

Also surprised no one mentioned the Penguin from Neon Genesis Evangelion..... Obviously penguins are the best mascots though (and we all know the Prinnies were penguins basically. Yes there's that whole thing about them really being human souls working off their sins [which they'll never do if they're in the Netherworld], but they're really penguins)
tentensan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
No love for Kyubei? The only mascot to be actually important to the story.

I was just about to say. Kyubei has got to be one of my favorite mascots. Some mascots tend to get annoying but he was okay to me. He added to the story and he was am evil little mascot. I can think of other favorites but he was the first that popped into my head. Laughing
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Ahem, ahem. Puhuhu! Who could forget this guy over here?

[Spreading the despair to all anime fans near and far!]

I'd also nominate Luna from Sailor Moon and everyone's love-to-hate bunnycat Kyubey. But Monokuma will reign in our despairing hearts forever. *points at avatar* I wear my Dangan Ronpa badge with pride! Very Happy

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dejivice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to say Mokona as well. Black Mokona at that.

I'm also one of those people who thinks Eevee should be Pokémon's main mascot. Its so simple and cute.

Going back to CLAMP, Spinel Sun is also one of my favorites.

And finally, as a Digimon fan: Terriermon.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even a cat person, but I love President Aria from the Aria franchise. I can't say he's useful to the human characters, but every moment he's on-screen is delightful.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Paya-tan from Dai Mahou Touge. Not just a hilarious parody of mascot characters but a hilarious character in his own right, especially when he goes from "cutesie" mode to his "Colonel Paya Livingston" alter ego (complete with a seiyuu swap from Chiwa Saito to Jouji Nakata).
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
*Points at avatar*

Gozaru! :<.

Moyashimon's microbes aren't just cute, but they also teach you stuff.

I also love most black cats in anime. Trigun's Kuroneko, FLCL's Takkun, Luna, Jiji, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5