• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime Mascot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I am disappointed by the lack of Dirty Pair's Mughi,and Nanmo!

Gawd yes, these two were awesome! And could even pilot the ship! So they could be plot important if need be!

Others I enjoy:
Maromi-Paranoia Agent
Gilliam II-Outlaw Star
Hyotunsugi-various Tezuka series (easter egg character)
Slime-Dragon Quest series
Bonta-kun-Full Metal Panic
Jack Frost-shin megami tensei/persona series and the Atlus co's actual mascot
Appa and Momo-Avatar: TLA

My favorite though? I just love the hell out of Digimon! I believe they tend to use Agumon as the one "everyone knows" (at least he's on the cover of Digimon Story, soon as you boot up the PS4, his face is there for the game label, but in game, your first Digimon can be Palmon, Terriormon, or Hagurumon, but not Agumon), but I feel like everyone in the rookie tier level is kind of meant as a mascot in many ways (especially depending on the anime series in question). Gabumon, Tentomon, Gomamon, Palmon, Biyomon, Renamon, Guilomon, Veemon, Patamon, Gaomon, Terriormon, the list just goes on of awesomely cute digivolve into super fighter rookie critters.
Sakurie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Haro is defiantly up there but i'd also say Kyuubey has to be one of the best due to his plot influence and being so freaking evil in Rebellion. Kero-chan from CCS would be a close third for his love of cake (and the episode where he and Li switch bodies is one of the funniest!)
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about mascots versus characters, and figured any of the ones I actually like are characters that DO something important to the plot... The black cat from Trigun is a bit funny looking for him, but not a doer in the plot, so he IS a mascot to me. OTOH, it's characters I like, so:

Ryu-ohki and Fuku (and Koros) Tenchiverse. Ryu-ohki gets lost in her child form and starts crying, and suddenly you see googly eyes from Ryoko that you never expected her to have. In most ways these creatures behave or represent children, while being computer units that run ships or are ships... and also providing a go-between for the characters to show feeling. I kinda liked that.

Assistdroids/Lawry from Asobi Ni Ikuyo. Since the show decided to write them carefully out of slave and into partner, they serve an interesting contrast vs. how the Dogesians see them as disposable. Maybe hammering the writer point of view about robots a bit, but I found it interesting to think on.

Mariel from Please Teacher... another ship/assistant representation, that isn't bedrock vital to the story, but provides the counterpoint of non-involved point of view.

Happy from Fairy Tail is really a sidekick/friend more than a mascot, but gives us another point of view, another storyline...

All these things are available as plushies, but that isn't all they are for storywise, and that's an interesting point for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I still object to Kir and Nyanko-sensei being classed as mascots just because they're not human, since they're the main supporting characters of their respective series. If they're mascots, so is Robin to Batman.

I think my favorite mascot is Xiao Mei from Fullmetal Alchemist. Her expressions never fail to amuse me. I'm also falling in love with Puck from Re: Zero right now, just because he loves being petted, which is a nice change of pace, and he seems pretty laid back and intelligent to boot.

I still enjoy Gulliver from Eureka 7, but there's not a lot you can do with it. Smile I'm also rather liking the weird monkey-shisho in Kemonozume.
Roger Pepitone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
For me, Mokona (Magic Knight Rayearth).

For my niece, Mokona and Jama-p (Wedding Peach).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
My favorite mascots: Pikachu from Pokémon (cute and a bit frail, but has powerful electrical offensives), Botan from Clannad (he looked so adorable as a baby pig), and, recently, Bonta-kun from Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (charming, but a serious threat with knowledge of military weaponry).
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The article wrote:
Beyond that, though, what the penguins do in each scene can be keys to how their respective "human" secretly feels. All of the main characters have hidden, forbidden desires and motivations that they take time to acknowledge and reveal across the series. The penguins show us what they're thinking before they're ready to, if you're looking closely.

Where do these ideas come from? Cause I watched that series and got none of the sort. Maybe it has to do with everyone having smart phones these days.

Anyway, Pitz from Captain Earth! Why? Because orgone. On top of being huggably adorable and loyal. Runners up include Fukubochu from Star Driver, Kerberos and Spinel Sun from Cardcaptor Sakura (aka the best things to come out of that franchise), Shush from Aquarion EVOL, Haro (00 version the best), Guvava from Macross 7, and Al from Miami Guns. Believe it or not I have a top 25 favorite anime mascots and critters list. I want to include Ai-kun from Macross Frontier, but I tend to lump him in with all the vajra in a slot on my "favorite anime monsters that are not monsters of the week". Especially odd when you consider how versatile in sheer D'AWE factor fanart can portray him as. Also short stories of of the bug building gunpla in tournaments including fighting Kira Yamato with a death note, I'd link that if not for foul language.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
Assistdroids/Lawry from Asobi Ni Ikuyo. Since the show decided to write them carefully out of slave and into partner, they serve an interesting contrast vs. how the Dogesians see them as disposable. Maybe hammering the writer point of view about robots a bit, but I found it interesting to think on.

Oh, I forgot about them! They'd probably be my #2 or #3. (Really, really hard to beat Ryo-Ohki for anyone who got deeply immersed in the Tenchi Muyo! universe.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Nyanko Sensei all the way!!
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I loved Mokona and Kero when I was younger, but I've since fallen out of love with Clamp, so while I still like them, they're not as high up for me anymore. My childhood favorite anime was (obviously) Tokyo Mew Mew, so Masha also has a place in my heart.

My favorite current mascot is probably Whisper of Yokai Watch. Sure, he's not as cute as Jibanyan and can be annoying and unhelpful, but that's part of the charm for me. Chiyo's dad is probably my favorite from the list, though. His inexplicableness makes him pretty amazing.

Aside from Chiyo's dad, I've had plush versions of every mascot I've mentioned in this post, as well as Coco from Precure 5. I really did use to be fond of mascot characters when I was younger, so I guess they did their job Anime hyper
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Toughie. #1 mascot for me, eh? I gotta think about it. Are we counting them as mascots if they're upfront, badass, three-dimensional characters like the rest of the cast but happen to be animals (characters like Chopper from One Piece and Iggy from JoJo don't exactly take a backseat to the action). Well, lets not count those and see.

The Colossal Titan is pretty damn iconic. Ryo-Ohki is adorable. Haro is close to my heart as well. Kuroneko-sama from Trigun, Ein from Bebop, all good examples. My #1 mascot character, however, is Umagon from Gash Bell/Ponygon from Zatch Bell!!.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess mascot characters can come in all shapes and sizes, but I like Shiina from Vampire Princess Miyu. It's no secret that I am a big fan of that franchise and also anything rabbit-esque, but Shiina both surprised and terrified me at the same time: A surprisingly powerful character and a pragmatic one at that.
secondkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Yes, I also like Chiyo's Dad. I seem to grow fond of mascots Kiyohiko Azuma designed, including Yotsuba&'s Danbo.

I also didn't realize that there are so many mascots in anime until I read the article and the posts here. But among all of them, my favorite is Ghibli's Totoro. Smile
LightYapper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
While Kero-chan from CCS came close, the first mascot to mind is still Kyubey. He's not my favorite or anything, but his role in the original story is so darn striking, it's hard to thaw him out. Also, humans being mascots(?) is hilarious.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
There could be many seconds, but no one beats Ryo-Ohki for number one. The only plushie I directly bought (I have a few others, but they're from dvd collector editions and what not), she currently sits on top of a large number of boxsets overlooking the room next to the recent BD releases of the OVA & movies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5