• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Hollywood Pillaging Anime And Manga For Material?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Two points:

Heidi Girl of the Alps managed to trick many Europeans that it was a European show. If even the Japanese can ape other countries cultures the US also can.

Hollywood has been adapting movies from novels since the 1910's. GitS is a Japanese graphic novel and I think it's perfect material for a great Hollywood movie.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
I don't believe that Hollywood is pillaging Anime and Manga for material hell if anything it's the other way around with more than a fair amount of Anime and Manga titles taking ideas from western property's. Rolling Eyes
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
We live in a globalized world. Even if the average Joe doesn't know anything about foreign cultures the creative staff of Hollywood or the mangaka in Japan are working hard to assimilate whatever they can turn into an interesting film/manga/anime. Nothing to worry or obsess about.

I wonder when James Cameron will adapt Gunnm as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Wasn't Pacific Rim originally going to be the Eva movie? There are definitely a lot of basic similarities between the two.

I don't think so, but it's probably the closest thing we'll ever see to a live action Eva movie!
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You have to be pragmatic. That is to say, if you can find a lead who isn't 100% accurate but can make the role work, choose that person.

That's where I fall on the whole casting issue. If there is no one with the same ethnic background that is the best actor out of all the ones that try out, you go with the best actor.

Do I prefer characters that I'm a fan of be portrayed by an actor of the same ethnic background? Yes. But, first and foremost, they gotta know how to act. I wouldn't want to see a character I like played by someone who has the acting chops of a cardboard box, just because they share the same ethnic background as the character they're portraying.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:24 am Reply with quote
On to four pages of replies and no mention of the Paprika / Inception similarities?
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
On to four pages of replies and no mention of the Paprika / Inception similarities?

How about Dreamscape / Paprika similarities?
Naiera

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:02 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
... Russel Crowe playing a Roman in Gladiator ...

Spaniard Smile

Also, in response to the original article, I do believe that the original movie takes place in Japan, just not the Japan we know. The plot is set two world wars (one with nukes, one without) into the future, in the fictional city of Niihama (or Newport City). At least, this is where the original manga takes place. Nothing I've seen in the movie (or any other GITS) seems to contradict this.

Last edited by Naiera on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
I feel the need to pull out the Highlander card, a Scotsman playing an Ancient Egyptian, living as a Spaniard, asking a Frenchman playing a Scot what haggis is...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Wielding a katana which he claimed was forged in Egypt.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
You realize there are more Japanese-Americans Los Angeles than there are Germans in all of Japan?
All the more reason for an invisible minority in Japan to get lead roles, no? Why does your pro-diversity spiel have no room for white people, even when they are a minority?

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
We're talking about one of the most ethnically homogeneous countries on Earth (even counting the Ainu). You cannot compare it to a multi-ethnic country like the US.
Who cares about such nonsense when all people want is a good movie? Very few people look to these movies wanting "racial diversity", no, what people generally want out of an adaptation is a)it being good and b)being faithful to the themes, the spirit, the plot of whatever it is adapting. We understand that there are sacrifices made; names, settings, etc. are changed, but we get it because the film industry is a business, but people like you want to use it as a platform for your racial quotas shtick.

Congratulations, you are the reason this movie generating such buzz. If you did not care, the same way you don't care when white fictional characters are replaced by non-white actors in Bollywood, Japanese, and American cinema then practically nobody would even notice this movie.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
The thing I find funny about a lot of things here is that most of the recent anime and manga series I see coming out have characters that aren't Japanese in the first place. And no I don't care about Scar Jo being cast as the Major. Was I surprised when I first heard about it? Yes. But after seeing all the butthurt people and the whining and complaining I hear as if listening to millenials, then I really don't care. It's got Beat Takeshi in it, so it's all good with me.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
I was pretty convinced reading Jon Tsui's tweets but that was just me being ignorant, not understanding the series its self.

A lot of invaluable information in this answer.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna mirror Justin on two fronts:

First, I don't get or like the obsession people have with Rinko Kikuchi as The Major. People love her for her role in Pacific Rim, but she doesn't have a single memorable line. Idris Elba and the Australian dude do ("... Or we can grab those flare guns and do something REALLY stupid!"), but Kikuchi was just there (and yet people loved her for it). I don't want her because a) I don't think she's a good actress, and b) she's not the only Asian actress out there, someone better exists.

Second, I also agree with Justin that GitS isn't inherently Japanese. Tying any anime into WW2 is kinda tacky, especially since GitS is about post-humanism (explicitely--read the manga, Shirow keeps gushing about that crap).

I hate that people are attacking Johansson over the casting, because she's not at fault. She's just an actress: she can either do this role or not get paid. Saying she should have dropped it because she was in The Avengers is like saying Daniel Radcliff shouldn't act again because he's rich enough after eight Harry Potter films.
BVerfG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
I like how people talk about creative bankruptcy of Hollywood when stuff like Psycho-Pass can easily 'pass' as a bastard child of Blade Runner and Minority Report mixed with random quotations from western philosophers just for the sake of appearing smarter than it really is.

While there are certainly similarities between those, that really isn't a very good example. You can count the Cyberpunk anime on one hand, you already need a couple of extra hands just for superhero movies. Also being the bastard child of a movie released in 1982 (which itself, took a good deal from a 1968 novel) and a 2002 movie (which also, coincidentally adapted a short story from 1956 by the same author) doesn't amount to "creative bankruptcy". In the same time we have run through five (!) different Batmans (totalling 8 movies).

Now Anime as a whole is indeed not that different from Hollywood, every season presenting us with clones of various series that came before and a few good exceptions.

As for the topic, we had literally one good movie that came from a LN/Manga which was Edge of Tomorrow. And GitS will suck badly, so there is that. But the debate is still far too overblown.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6