• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Hollywood Pillaging Anime And Manga For Material?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

That only goes so far as your own personal enjoyment of the product until it happens to something you like. If you're only going to look at it in terms of profit then Michael Bay is the savior of Transformers and Ninja Turtles and Shyamalan is the hero of The Last Airbender all the complainers are just babies who should be left behind. And I'm very confused why someone would care about finances over fan expectations unless they had a monetary investment into the property.

Bay didn't direct the new TMNT movie he produced it. Secondly TLA was a dud that really didn't do anything positive for the franchise or Shyamalan's career.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Perhaps some form of justice came when Teen Titans Go came out when fans of the previous cartoon were outraged that a franchise they liked was dumb down and ruined. To comic book fans that's just old news at this point.

-Stuart Smith

I don't know if I'd call that justice. More like bunch of grown children with nothing else better to do but whine ironically and pointlessly about a show some erroneously thought was supposed to be continuation of a long cancelled series they liked, while ignorantly blaming it for causing another show airing on the same network to get cancelled months earlier eventhough it didn't.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
A lot of these series are mainstream in Japan so being mainstream in America is not the same thing. In Japan an animated version can be popular and mainstream but not so here. It's really more for problem with the American mainstream market who are very close-minded in what they like. So technically a lot of these series are mainstream, just not here. That's why Hollywood always have to do live action adaptions because animation is looked down upon here. Just the very nature of the market leads to these franchises being ruined.

I think that anime is actually the form of foreign culture that is most popular in the US: French movies or Brazilian soup operas do not have any US fandom. I also would think that most countries are similarly closed (in Brazil I think we are more open because of our third world status).

I also might think that maybe a GitS live action hollywood movie might have the potential to be a masterpiece, if it is done right. It can become a new Blade Runner or The Matrix with some luck, the source material has great potential anywa and its pretty obvious this is supposed to be a serious movie and not a Speed Racer kind of deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
In Japan an animated version can be popular and mainstream but not so here.

Yes, if work in question called One Piece, Doraemon, Detective Conan, Gundam or, as of recent, Naruto. As far as I remember stuff like Akira, GitS: Innocence etc. flopped pretty hard over there.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
I never understood the complains about ethnicity. It's a live-action adaptation of anime/manga, that ought to be enough for everyone to know that it's going to suck.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
I never understood the complains about ethnicity. It's a live-action adaptation of anime/manga, that ought to be enough for everyone to know that it's going to suck.

Only if you're jaded enough to believe that live action adaptations of existing works can't be successful which they can even if it's not among fans familiar with the source material.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Secondly TLA was a dud that really didn't do anything positive for the franchise or Shyamalan's career.

To be fair it made 320 Million on a 150 million budget. Like Pacific Rim it made more overseas, and its domestic gross was closer to its budget than PR managed.

Quote:
Only if you're jaded enough to believe that live action adaptations of existing works can't be successful which they can even if it's not among fans familiar with the source material.
They can be successful but that doesn't equal good. Drama adaptions like Gokusen or Chihayafura work better than Naruto or One Piece would, but for manga it's hard to beat anime in terms of accuracy to source material. Any actor is going to lose to an exact drawing of a character. Not even Hollywood budgets could pull off shounen level fighting and not make it look awkward. Though the Naruto stage play costumes are spot on in terms of design. Even Detective Conan's live action specials that portay Shinichi and Shiho as kids are awkward because of child actors.

-Stuart Smith
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:37 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Yes, they are, Hollywood has been out of ideas for a while now and we're seeing the unfortunate implications of them being out of ideas. I wouldn't mind them doing so if they at least respected the purity of these series.
Never happen unless the original author/creator stipulated that in any license/release agreement like what Myazaki and J.K.Rowling achieved. Hollywood is an abattoir of ideas.
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
[quote="Stuart Smith"]
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To be fair it made 320 Million on a 150 million budget.

That's a massive failure by Holllywood accounting standards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6