• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Complete Haruhi Suzumiya Soundtrack Announced With Teaser for More in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I can kinda understand why adaptations would be put on hold because Tanigawa hasn't been writing the last few years, but that seems like an excuse. Plenty of anime have made content while source material's far ahead or when they've even surpassed it. As it is, there's a bit more than twice as much content to adapt than what we've got so far, so they're hardly starved for new material.

If they did more with the franchise, maybe the author would be motivated to keep going. From his point of view, I could understand losing interest if the rest of your team has quit on you for an easier money machine, if that was the case.

The Anti-SOS, Surprise arc, all the Micuru character development with her manipulative adult self, and the appearance of Fujiwara are all worthy of the adaptation treatment. Maybe they're reluctant because a lot of this gets serious and isn't easy comedy fuel to appeal to the masses.

Whatever the case, I don't buy the slowdown of written material as sufficient excuse.
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how I get a copy of this from Gamers so I can get that poster?
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:
I can kinda understand why adaptations would be put on hold because Tanigawa hasn't been writing the last few years, but that seems like an excuse. Plenty of anime have made content while source material's far ahead or when they've even surpassed it. As it is, there's a bit more than twice as much content to adapt than what we've got so far, so they're hardly starved for new material.

If they did more with the franchise, maybe the author would be motivated to keep going. From his point of view, I could understand losing interest if the rest of your team has quit on you for an easier money machine, if that was the case.

The Anti-SOS, Surprise arc, all the Micuru character development with her manipulative adult self, and the appearance of Fujiwara are all worthy of the adaptation treatment. Maybe they're reluctant because a lot of this gets serious and isn't easy comedy fuel to appeal to the masses.

Whatever the case, I don't buy the slowdown of written material as sufficient excuse.

You're misunderstanding why people are saying this. It's not because there isn't enough material to write about. It's because light novel adaptions often happen to advertise the original light novel so it can sell, and usually when there is still new material to sell. Haruhi hasn't had anything written about it since 2011, and before that, it slowed to a productive crawl. Haruhi has lost its relevance, sadly.

But I wouldn't count it out just yet, though. At least, not if we consider possibilities. Re-releases of the novels, selling on nostalgia, pure director/committee choice funding (especially with KyoAni)... Even FMP is coming back, KyoAni or not. It's not out of the realm of possibility just yet.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting on the Hype Train! (Wait a minute, wasn't their YouTube Debut with the Haruhi-chan and Nyoron Churuya-san series?)
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I'm getting on the Hype Train! (Wait a minute, wasn't their YouTube Debut with the Haruhi-chan and Nyoron Churuya-san series?)

Those are technically different series, so it's understandable if that does not count. However, Kadokawa streamed each episode aired in 2009 for a week on their YouTube account (this was prior to the Kadokawa/Dwango merger in 2014 or the business connection in late 2010, so Kadokawa's anime side focused on YouTube advertising), so this is certainly not the debut on YouTube for the SOS Brigade.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Having followed some of the later LN in the series, I'm not all that anxious to see a 3rd season. spoiler[The story seemed to me to get lost in a snarl of time loops and introducing a set of "anti-SOS" characters seemed a bit much to me.]Also afraid they might try to pull something like an "infinite 8-squared". If this came out before 2010 I might have bought a $46 audio CD, but not now. Seems like a shameless attempt by Lantis to get money from diehard fans.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I wonder how I get a copy of this from Gamers so I can get that poster?

You'd use a proxy service like http://www.fromjapan.co.jp and supply them the URL of the item at the online store such as http://www.gamers-onlineshop.jp/ - it adds to the price over what costs are from places like CD Japan but it is workable.

Some Japanese online stores associated with retail chains like http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/ will ship overseas, but for decent packaging for international delivery, CD Japan and fromjapan are my choices.

I ended up purchasing a lot of the music associated with the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise through CD Japan and would like to see the full listing of this new compendium release - some of what I liked were character songs or the music from the orchestral concert in 2009 or game music which wouldn't be counted as soundtrack material.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I really do like a lot of the music from Haruhi, and the price for all the songs really isn't that bad. Based on the Gamers poster, I might end up getting this.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
> "We're planning to do lots of other stuff as the SOS Brigade this year, so make sure to check for updates!"

Oh I am definitely looking forward to that part although I doubt a new season.

Oh, don't say that! Ruining the illusion already...

But, I'll hold onto hope. Laughing

Well, at least I got my Yuki Nagato anime, and I'd have no problem with another studio doing a Haruhi anime. Though, whenever Haruhi stuff comes up, it does make me wonder if we're closer to another novel. Wasn't there a comment from Tanigawa in a fanzine where he stated that he was working on another volume in the series?

More FMP is coming...so can they please give us more Haruhi?!?!?! Laughing

As for the soundtrack, anime music has never interested me.
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:

I don't know what happened to Tanigawa. But if I were him, I rewrite the whole series and give other characters their own Point-of-view other than Kyon.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a conspiracy theory to me even but Crunchyroll just got that exclusive streaming deal with Kadokawa titles (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/04/11-1/crunchyroll-and-kadokawa-announce-strategic-alliance) and they're co-financing new titles ...

I mean if Toonami can get more FLCL maybe CR is throwing some weight around to get some old titles they know their subscribers want.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
This sounds like a conspiracy theory to me even but Crunchyroll just got that exclusive streaming deal with Kadokawa titles (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/04/11-1/crunchyroll-and-kadokawa-announce-strategic-alliance) and they're co-financing new titles ...

I mean if Toonami can get more FLCL maybe CR is throwing some weight around to get some old titles they know their subscribers want.

Possibly. It didn't seem like Haruhi made much of a splash when it was on CR though, and they don't have it listed that I could find anymore, so I don't know how much they really want to put into something like that. But yeah, I know you're just speculating to the nth degree. lol
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Joshua Taylor wrote:
This isn't going to sell well.

I strongly disagree. The hype Haruhi Hunting made just for more disappointment showed that there is still demand for more Haruhi, and that means there is still a market for it. I expect people will be buying this just for the chance of "more to follow" being more Haruhi anime.
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Joshua Taylor wrote:
This isn't going to sell well.

I strongly disagree. The hype Haruhi Hunting made just for more disappointment showed that there is still demand for more Haruhi, and that means there is still a market for it. I expect people will be buying this just for the chance of "more to follow" being more Haruhi anime.

The Anime had the same episodes run repeatedly in an Endless Eight. Tanigawa stopped at The Intrigues. Who's fault is it? KyoAni.

That's the reason why the new soundtrack won't sell.

The only thing that it would sell is that the anime would be rebooted by another company like Production I.G or Gainax.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Taylor wrote:
The Anime had the same episodes run repeatedly in an Endless Eight. Tanigawa stopped at The Intrigues.

I enjoyed the Endless Eight.
What did Tanigawa stop at the Intrigues?

Quote:
That's the reason why the new soundtrack won't sell.

Even if I did not like Endless Eight why would that stop me from buying the soundtrack?
And I really do not understand what you mean about Tanigawa stopping something, so I do not know if that is something that might influence my decision about buying the soundtrack, but I cannot imagine why it would.

Even if I did not like the rest of the franchise I would still love the music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4