• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Suspect Admits to Murder of Actress, Voice Actress Sian Blake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
So glad he admitted it. Don't know what made him consider doing such a thing.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I definitely hope he rots in jail. I don't know the stance on the death penalty in the UK, but death would be too good for him.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
motor neurone disease is also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease for anyone wondering.

I hope this guy gets life
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
I definitely hope he rots in jail. I don't know the stance on the death penalty in the UK, but death would be too good for him.

We don't have the death penalty (although I think it might still exist for treason)...

He probably won't get that long in jail either, sadly...
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so the bastard admitted he did it. The whole situation is sad, but hopefully now the family will definitely get some justice.
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

We don't have the death penalty (although I think it might still exist for treason)...

He probably won't get that long in jail either, sadly...

The UK does seem less harsh compared to the US. Although I think its worse in other countries. The whole situation with the Norway mass killer. Confused

Or this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Garavito
That guy is considered one of the worst serial killers, with about 140 confirmed children he killed and has admitted he could've killed more than 300 children that the max in Colombia was 40 years and since he helped the police find bodies it was reduced to 22 years with a chance of a possible release even before then. So he could be out soon...I guess the only good news is Colombia raised the max to 60 years after this but regardless I find it very scary to have killers released(especially serial killers who can have a strong urge to kill like its a drug).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness that he confessed to the murder. Here's hoping that he'll be in prison for a good long while.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
It's amazing, innit, how people will take someone's death and use it as a stepping-stone to argue that if only more people were killed the world would be a better place.

People: are you actually biologically incapable of not saying "We should kill people! that will solve the problem!!"? Is there some irresistable impulse that drives you to talk about death and how you want more of it and how you want the rest of us to help you? Have you sought help? Is there something a professional might be able to do to minimise the effects of your must-talk-about-killing-people-itis?

I mean, I'm not even arguing against execution here! Just, you know, let's not take every single bloody death, every life cut tragically short, an opportunity to talk about how people are missing out if there's not more killings. Let a few through to the keeper, OK, every now and then! Make this murder the one where you don't talk about killing more people.

Can, you know, people manage this? Just this fn once.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
I oppose the death penalty, full stop. State murder solves nothing
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

Or this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Garavito
That guy is considered one of the worst serial killers, with about 140 confirmed children he killed and has admitted he could've killed more than 300 children that the max in Colombia was 40 years and since he helped the police find bodies it was reduced to 22 years with a chance of a possible release even before then. So he could be out soon...I guess the only good news is Colombia raised the max to 60 years after this but regardless I find it very scary to have killers released(especially serial killers who can have a strong urge to kill like its a drug).

Sadly, despite that, he may be freed soon, and everyone in Colombia doesn't want him free. In fact, there was a motion to pass a law sentencing child rapists/murderers to life in prison, but it was rejected. So Colombians are afraid of him going back to his murderous ways.

However, going back on topic... It's sad that laws tend to be so lax. While I believe that the death penalty is sometimes necessary (especially in the cases where children are raped or murdered), it's not something that should be applied in all cases.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
So glad he admitted it. Don't know what made him consider doing such a thing.

A LOT of different possible reasons why he would've done it, but provided that he wasn't coerced into it (and it sounds like he wasn't), all that matters was that he killed them.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Thank goodness that he confessed to the murder. Here's hoping that he'll be in prison for a good long while.

Unfortunately, I don't know how it is in the UK, but in many countries, when you admit to doing a major crime, your sentence is reduced. Most likely, that's what this guy's plan is: The jig is up and there's insurmountable evidence, so might as well confess to not get the maximum possible sentence. On the one hand, there's closure: This man is the murderer, and undeniably so. On the other hand, it means he won't be spending as much time in prison as some people might want.

nargun wrote:
It's amazing, innit, how people will take someone's death and use it as a stepping-stone to argue that if only more people were killed the world would be a better place.

People: are you actually biologically incapable of not saying "We should kill people! that will solve the problem!!"? Is there some irresistable impulse that drives you to talk about death and how you want more of it and how you want the rest of us to help you? Have you sought help? Is there something a professional might be able to do to minimise the effects of your must-talk-about-killing-people-itis?

I mean, I'm not even arguing against execution here! Just, you know, let's not take every single bloody death, every life cut tragically short, an opportunity to talk about how people are missing out if there's not more killings. Let a few through to the keeper, OK, every now and then! Make this murder the one where you don't talk about killing more people.

Can, you know, people manage this? Just this fn once.

Why do you think so many people who saw or read Death Note wanted for Light to keep killing people forever?

Then again, I don't see any posts specifically about the desire for more people to be dead. Have they been removed?
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Then again, I don't see any posts specifically about the desire for more people to be dead. Have they been removed?

I think that may have been a reference to my post.

Having read it back, I could see how it could be interpreted as calling for death penalty, but that was not my intention. I do not agree with the death penalty for any crime, I was simply trying to say that the British justice system seems highly lenient, and he'd probably be out far quicker than he would in other countries.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
I oppose the death penalty, full stop. State murder solves nothing

It cuts down on repeat offenders...

But we can all agree the family needs closure and justice(in some form) needs to be served.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
I'll be extremely blunt. This Arthur Simpson-Kent slug should spend the rest of his life in jail. It's a shame there's no death penalty in Britain. This piece of trash is a prime candidate for it. What right did Simpson-Kent have to kill her and her two sons? To me,he forfeited his right to live the moment he murdered those three people. And,sooner or later,this lowlife will be out again! Would you want this guy living near you? I can only imagine what Ms. Blake's family's going through right now. It must be heartbreaking.
Now I've never heard of this Simpson-Kent guy or Luis Garavito before now and these two animals are,to me at least,poster boys for the death penalty. Monsters like these who do unspeakable crimes deserve such a severe penalty. People like Ted Bundy or John Wayne Gacy deserved what they got. Both Simpson-Kent and Garavito deserve nothing less.

And for those who think I'm being too harsh,think about the family of Sian Blake. They lost someone they cared about and her two sons. She could have had a great acting career,if she only took the occasional role once in a while. She could have done some Hollywood work. And,what about her two sons? What would their lives have been like? These boys will never grow up,go to high school,get married,and have their own children. Those things have been taken from them. People like Arthur Simpson-Kent and Luis Garavito are the absolute scum of the earth. I have no sympathy for them and these two fiends deserve whatever harsh punishment is possible.
It's a shame there's no longer a death penalty in Great Britain. A beast like Arthur Simpson-Kent is pretty deserving of it,in my view.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad they got the person responsible. This is really a sad story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2