• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 2016/17).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Farnese was half naked for almost the entire episode lol...awkward.

I got some weird feelings after watching the fight this episode especially with all the screaming and CGI. So Guts does save Farnese's life after almost getting violated by that horse monster as it reminded him of a terrible memory. Eww. Decent voice acting though, the way Farense is portrayed felt convincing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
We're finally introduced to the concept of Apostles in this episode. They moved the boar-hound Apostle's appearance here and gave him, originally one-note fodder, a background, albeit in a pretty confusing manner. Blackswordsman and Lost Children fully and clearly explain the creation and nature of Apostles, as well as how and why they came to be what they are, but this episode's done such a bad job of presenting them and their purpose in the story on a thematic level. Behelits aren't explained well either.

The Apostle spent a lot of time talking about how delicious human meat was, plus corny dialogue all round. Then we get the possessed horse, which I was surprised even made it in. I never did like that part to be honest, the only thing I wouldn't have minded being cut, but oh well. There're other things they cut out of the section with Charlotte one of which further hints at there being more to the disasters than meets the eye, but it'd be nitpicking. Not a good episode IMO, and in some ways, worse than episode 1, but I'm looking forward to next week's episode, for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by Souther on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
I was entertained, but it was still a terrible episode.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it just wasn't good at all. Like I said before, the first few episodes are messy (though episode 2 was surprisingly good), but when we get to Conviction, things'll start kicking into gear hopefully.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
For me that was like reading manga - I couldn't tell what the hell was going on half the time, it was so poorly animated and densely packed. Was dogboy really chewing on his leg that whole time? Why couldn't he just bite it off? It took a good five minutes of chew time for me to even be able to tell it was Guts' leg and not a table's. o.o

Cute how Krazypants only had nipples in profile during sexual assault scenes. Rolling Eyes

Guts was still a bit at fault for letting her tie ropes around his throat. She's a knight, not a cowboy, so there surely must've been a window of opportunity for him to say, "Hold on, what the f**k are you doing, woman?!" I guess his "I'm too sexy, of course she wants to mount my sword" ego got in the way.

Are there any female characters in Berserk who are sane and/or not living for their man?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Are there any female characters in Berserk who are sane and/or not living for their man?

Uhm... there's this little girl in the Lost Children arc and...spoiler[ there's a prostitute] in the Conviction arc spoiler[who, as far as I've read (vol. 18) seems okay. Though I don't discard the possibility that shit will happen to her in due time]. Though to me what I want to know is whether there are any women in Berserk that are not subject to sexual humilliation and rape, especially when it's portrayed in a gross titillating manner.

I'm currently reading the Berserk manga, I'm just a volume or two ahead of where the anime is at and damn. I really don't understand what they're doing. Granted, my distaste with the manga is growing exponentially the further away we get from the Golden Age, but the fact that the anime has the opportunity to improve on certain things and it doesn't is just sad (and icky).

The scene of the horse raping Farnese served absolutely no purpose other than gross titillation in the manga, (the excuse was that, while surrounded by the evil spirits, seeing it reminds Guts of Casca's rape and gives him that extra oomph to finish off the monsters). But in this anime they made it even more gratuituously disgusting. Even though they kept the part in which he's reminded of Casca, it made no sense at that point because he didn't need the extra oomph, the battle was over. In the anime, Guts tells the dog guy "you've taken me back to that time", referring to the Eclipse, but this dialogue was originally directed at Farnese (who by getting raped indirectly helped motivate him? or maybe it was for the horse who was a very helpful rapist? Sure, whatever floats your disgusting boat I guess). So Guts had already been "motivated" by dog dude assaulting Farnese. When I saw they'd changed that part of the story (in the mangaspoiler[ they don't go to that abandoned mansion thingy]) I thought we wouldn't see the horse part and I was momentarily relieved and hopeful. Got hopeful too soon, obviously
Souther

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was dogboy really chewing on his leg that whole time? Why couldn't he just bite it off? It took a good five minutes of chew time for me to even be able to tell it was Guts' leg and not a table's. o.o

He really was chewing on Guts's leg the whole time lol, and yeah, an Apostle would tear Guts's leg off, even with armour.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Guts was still a bit at fault for letting her tie ropes around his throat. She's a knight, not a cowboy, so there surely must've been a window of opportunity for him to say, "Hold on, what the f**k are you doing, woman?!" I guess his "I'm too sexy, of course she wants to mount my sword" ego got in the way.

Originally, Guts was recovering from killing all the dogs (like CrowLia said, there was no Apostle or mansion here originally) plus his injuries, then Farnese came on to him. He gets ready to knock her out, but the sunlight hits her and drives away the spirit. Also, Guts comments on her being abnormally strong (as a result of the possession). However, in this adaptation, he's fresh off his injuries from his battle with the tree and the Knights, duking out with this Apostle and swinging his sword normally....despite the fact he couldn't handle the Knights before due to his injuries. That's a result of them omitting one of Puck's powers and a section of the material, but still needing Guts to be captured and be in condition to escape.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

In this arc they're adapting...spoiler[two supporting characters and a few minor ones that don't matter. The other few like Farnese etc., the story explores their issues more, especially Farnese. But for the most part, not many characters are sane at this point, for a variety of reasons.]

CrowLia wrote:
Though to me what I want to know is whether there are any women in Berserk that are not subject to sexual humilliation and rape, especially when it's portrayed in a gross titillating manner.

A few, and it decreases as time goes on. But I might as well warn you now; you're not gonna like a few events in the series as it goes on.

CrowLia wrote:
The scene of the horse raping Farnese served absolutely no purpose other than gross titillation in the manga, (the excuse was that, while surrounded by the evil spirits, seeing it reminds Guts of Casca's rape and gives him that extra oomph to finish off the monsters).

In the manga, it also allows Puck to see a flash of Guts's memory from that time and let him know something's up, but other than that and reminding Guts of Casca, not much. I've never liked that scene much, the anime lingered on it for way too long and like you said, moved his quote to the Apostle so it makes even less sense. At least in the manga, it was a quick affair.

CrowLia wrote:
....Guts tells the dog guy "you've taken me back to that time", referring to the Eclipse, but this dialogue was originally directed at Farnese (who by getting raped indirectly helped motivate him? or maybe it was for the horse who was a very helpful rapist? Sure, whatever floats your disgusting boat I guess).

To clarify, it was directed at the possessed horse, sarcastically thanking it for reminding him of Casca, and Guts follows it up, saying it's the worst he ever feels.
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm not exactly caught up in the manga, but spoiler[has anything bad happened to Schireke]
Or do I even want to know?
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I'm not exactly caught up in the manga, but spoiler[has anything bad happened to Schireke]
Or do I even want to know?

spoiler[You are right, nothing happened to her], and to be honest even spoiler[Guts was raped as a child] so I guess that's just the world that Miura wants to portray - that is unfair to women and men.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
But it didn't drive him insane. And not all the female characters who are insane lost their minds due to trauma (unless Farnese has some backstory, but right now she just seems to be your garden variety religious lunatic). And the Princess seems to be crazy because of unrequited love for her man. I haven't noticed that kind of obsession from any of the male characters. The crazy male characters are just straight up villains or they lust for power.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Charlotte is dependant, but she isn't crazy. She's in despair due to the actions of her father as a result of his obsession with her, then his death. The situation of Midland, suddenly being thrust into the position of queen and vultures looking to get their own piece of the pie when her father's body isn't even cold yet isn't helping things either. She wants to be rescued by her shining knight in armour.
Lyra_Kaze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
One could argue if it didn't drive him a little insane -spoiler[ he almost killed Casca when they made love for the first time because of this?].
Farnese has her share of crazyness due to her upbringing.

You have a lot of male characters that are not sane due to different things - you are talking about Charlotte - her father had some crazy feelings towards her that make him a lunatic, it was not only about his thirst of power (and I agree with Souther when he says that Charlotte isn't crazy)

You have a lot of "sane" female characters like Flora, Schierke, Ivalera, Jill, Luca and Isma - and all of them have different reasons to live and it's not for "their man".

This said, I do think that dividing characters into sane/insane makes them lose a little bit of complexity - since all of them have their share of experiences that makes them prone to different actions, some that could make them seem "insane" and others "sane".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Lyra_Kaze wrote:
You have a lot of "sane" female characters like Flora, Schierke, Ivalera, Jill, Luca and Isma - and all of them have different reasons to live and it's not for "their man".

While I still think Charlotte is a bit off but not actually insane like Farnese, do note that in my original post I used the conjunction and/or to allow room for sane characters whose lives nevertheless revolve around their men (whether they love or hate that man). In my follow up, I was just using "crazy" as a blanket term for dysfunctional, which isn't necessarily the same as insane.

I'm assuming those others you mentioned are characters that haven't been introduced yet? I don't recall any of them from the first anime. At any rate, yes, this is why I asked the question, since at this point there aren't any women I can look forward to seeing on screen because they're probably going to do something monumentally stupid or get raped, or both. I wasn't looking for an argument about who does or doesn't fall into what category.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
I said things would pick up from here, and it did, easily the best episode for now.

spoiler[This is the turning point for Guts, where he decides to prioritise keeping what he has left, instead of chasing after revenge. We're shown a glimpse of the Beast of Darkness here. Erica and Godo really set him straight, I've always loved that conversation. They were right about Guts, he'd left them behind and blamed Rickert when he did all he could. I've always loved how Rickert mourned the death of the Hawks and built swords in their memory. Though he wasn't there for the Eclipse, he's moved on.

We get the introductions of Mozgus and his torturers, Luca and Casca in her current state. That scene was pretty brutal. And of course, Mozgus is hilarious in a twisted way. A literal bible thumper. Farnese's sadism also comes out here.]

However, the pacing is still way too choppy.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ep 04
Ok, now THAT was a good episode.
It was a simple yet effective tale about where Guts was in the past and now his turning point in regards to motivation.

It is strange as overall it was a "slower" episode, yet because it was filled with emotion and personal intent Guts actually felt like a character and not just some anonymous wonderer who happens to be a beefy badass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8