• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rewrite (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Well, that just happened. I was kinda getting bored with this show, but this last episode was kinda awesome. No idea how the 2nd season is going to continue this, but I'm a slightly excited about it now. Maybe time travel or some alternative reality thing? I dunno, I guess we'll find out whenever it airs.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It all comes tumblin' down tumblin' down tumblin' doooooownnnnn~

Well, if this is like Key's other works there'll be a time loop and Koutarou will have to stop all that stuff from happening.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Yep, colour me confused. I should probably only rate this show So-so, but dammit, the cutenss of the girls - especially Kagari with her love of "feecof" will probably cause me to bump it up to decent. I'll check out the next installment.

eta: didn't wimp out after all; when push came to shove I did end up rating it So-so. Do better next time, Key!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Well...after finishing the first season today, I have very mixed thoughts on it overall even as an anime original viewer. Some of the episodes felt rushed and didn't exactly had the emotional impact that I was anticipating from a Key based series.

Animation quality (especially the action scenes) were sub-par at best.

Regarding the final ending of episode 12:
spoiler[So it was a bad end and the world drowns in despair after Tennouji turns into a plant. I had very mixed thoughts about although I have to admit that song they used was kinda neat]

Otherwise, they could of made this season much better if it was 2-cour. 1 cour just doesn't feel right with the routes inserted mid-season about the girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure the ending is a bad end. Yes, clearly the world was destroyed, but the last image seem to indicate that there might be some kind of fresh, new beginning. Certainly didn't have the same nihilistic, downer vibe of (don't click on spoiler tag unless you want to know the name of the show I'm talking about) spoiler[Gilgamesh]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Was that a bad end? The world straight up ended with everyone dying and "transcending". New beginnings or emotions or whatever, it was the end. But by the very end I kind of understood what was being said when he said with a bit more time or something that he could have made things better, and that is because this does not seem to be the end of ReWrite. No, that final ending seemed to be kind of indicative of Kagari looking at various timelines or routes that things could go, that particular one disappearing because the world ended in it, and the whole thing made her cry. But despite that there is actually hope, there are other timelines, and perhaps one of them is one where Kotarou could help make a happy ending.

ReWrite has been uneven, but if I had to compare it to other Key anime, I think that I like it better than Little Busters, at least its first season but as of yet this is not an ending to be entirely happy about, plus also Charlotte. Although I will rate it about the same as a Good (7/10), it is worth seeing. Kind of feel like my feelings could better with a not so sombre ending, I liked the characters but a number of arcs were really rushed, the depressing ending was somewhat effecting because I knew these characters, and seeing them in despair was kind of the worst. And not the fun Danganronpa despair either.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Well, it is...in a sense...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Haha, you're right. But I meant for the story overall. I haven't really pinned down why yet, but I have an exceptional fondness for Kotori. I know they're pushing Koutaro/Kagari but I don't particularly buy it. I dunno, it just feels like in the beginning (or at least when Kagari first became a proper character) their relationship was that of a brother placating his spoiled sister or something.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I understand what you are saying. Kagari is kind of "meh" as a heroine. She has had her moments, but none of them have been ones that have really made me want to root for her. On the other, Kotori is somewhat more interesting, although she is one of my friend's favorite characters. Personally, I am more in the Shizuru camp. Regardless, I feel that the characters in this series need to be fleshed out more. They kind of feel flat thus far even with the arcs in the first season...
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 1 / Episode 14

Kagari is like an alien to me. Koutaro x Kagari just feels off as a result. And watching cute Key girls wielding guns and stuff still looks weird. Koutaro fantasizing Kagari as a tsundere was funny. Remined me of Is this a Zombie?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
For the first time in quite a while (maybe the whole series?), an episode of Rewrite actually impressed me. Episode 15 was much more conceptually heady than most of the rest of the series, and yet it not only made sense but also helped the rest of the series make sense. It's also, I think, a major step towards what the true message of the series/source VN is actually supposed to be.

It's definitely sparked my interest enough to get me to watch out the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 2 / Episode 15

I would agree the episode was conceptually interesting and, for once, cogent, but after two episodes I was getting a bit tired of this strange, lonely world that Koutaro and Kagari are in. Seeing the rest of the gang at the end was a real relief. The problem for me going forward is that there doesn't feel like there are much stakes. We are existing in a world where the MC can effortlessly come back to life and bad events can be simply rewritten. I'll be interested to see if they can establish that there are some stakes to what we are watching.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 4 (?) / Episode 17

I've kinda gotten lost with this show. Is all that stuff with Kagari related to this new story? Is this a new route? Is what happened this episode what happened in the past? Like before Koutarou got stabbed by Kagari and went to sleep for many years. Or is this the new world Kagari created? This whole second season has been convoluted and confusing. The evil woman sending monsters from another timeline/dimension, Koutarou traveling naked through space and time etc. wtf is going on?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Cam0, for writing the exact post I would have written if I had gotten here first. If anybody, due to source material knowledge, can clue us in on wtf is going on, please feel free - using spoiler tags where appropriate, of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6