• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Zestira the X (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I went ahead and finished it. While I love the whole Ultimate Armatization thing, I am a bit disappointed that they left out some rather important info from Heldalf and Michael's backstory. Namely...

1) spoiler[That Zenrus was also there.]

2) spoiler[That there was another child as well.]

3) spoiler[That Zenrus took both the other child, and the human-turned-seraph child of Muse.]

And, finally, 4) spoiler[That the two children were Sorey and Mikleo!!!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So Sorey becomes Captain Planet.

Damn it, that is what I was going to say. I was going to name the elements including heart and everything.

So is it just my imagination, or is the good dragon Velvet Crow? I am probably just mishearing the voice though as it has been a long time since I have seen those episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So is it just my imagination, or is the good dragon Velvet Crow? I am probably just mishearing the voice though as it has been a long time since I have seen those episodes.

Nope, that's not Rina Satou. It's spoiler[Azumi Asakura.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm glad the episode started with Sorey acknowledging his "stubborness" lead to Dezel's death. Of course, Rose instantly wipes away any lingering examinaiton of what it means to uphold the "purity" of refusing to kill anyone even when you know that for your mission to save the world to succeed, your "purity" will 100% result in the death of an ally.

And I always love it when the Big Bad sweetly allows the heroes to take all the time in the world to make their preparations. I can picture the Lord of Calamity patiently waiting in the wings, filing his fingernails as he says, "Yeah, y'all go ahead and do your contract thingy and ultimate armatization and whatnot, I'll just wait over here until you're good to go."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad the episode started with Sorey acknowledging his "stubborness" lead to Dezel's death. Of course, Rose instantly wipes away any lingering examinaiton of what it means to uphold the "purity" of refusing to kill anyone even when you know that for your mission to save the world to succeed, your "purity" will 100% result in the death of an ally.

You say that as if Sorey knew what Dezel's intentions were. In the end it was Dezel's choice to sacrifice himself rather than find another solution.

At this point it's best Sorey doesn't entertain any "linger examinations." Dezel died to uphold Sorey's ideals and if Sorey started questioning them now then Dezel died for nothing. That's why Rose gave him five across the face.

Anyways, I'm a bit concerned. Sorey purifies by taking malevolence into himself, so what if he purifies Heldalf by taking the loneliness curse upon himself? I certainly wouldn't like that. He's supposed to live happily ever after with Alisha dammnit!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn, so they went with a game-ish ending after all. Well, I'll just have to stick with my headcanon for what happens after.

Overall I like the idea that you can't get rid of malevolence, as dealing with and overcoming it is what makes people stronger. A world without hardship would be stagnant and dull. Being aware of the issue and ways to handle it is more important than removing the issue entirely. It's a good message.

While it does feel ufotable stopped putting as much effort into the show by the end I still had a great time with it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

You know, this show looks good, but that kind of feels like that is all it is. It can do some good work to make you feel a bit pumped up, but despite that it feels kind of hollow, that for me in the end it kind of feels like false excitement. It was filled with platitudes that was Sorey, danced around with the idea that everything cannot fit into his little ideals, but did nothing with that. Sorey is able to go in alone purify a guy who is a hollow husk for malevolence, put under a curse by a previous shepard, save the world and end up okay. Characters as a broad stroke of this series was lacking, where most personality felt to come from preview, and even if the princess was cool there was something missing. Sorey, he was all about doing good things and taking on the bad stuff of the others, but did he even understand the desperation, fear, greed, hatred, which were the things he was taking on? He really did not seem to struggle, to have the things that might actually be required for an empathy and understanding of it all, he lived in a magic fairy village. I was partially expecting that the purer he was, that the higher he was the more he could fall and be stained due to his utter trust in "good things" from a world of malevolence.

Sure there were some good moments, but for some reason in my case it just did not stick, looking good could only take it so far. Sorey actually started to get annoying as he was all against killing in any form as wrong, so he will get in the way of an assassination of a man who was really bad and would probably get others killed. He never faced anyone who might just do something without malevolence playing a role. Arcs felt kind of hurried through in that they took long stories from a game, tried to rush the anime through them, and never got revisited. The Bersera story was pointless in the end, that I waited 2 seasons to see if there was any meaning for it taking such parts in the series. In general it kind of stinks of kind of just grabbing a bunch of things and trying to act high and mighty with the bonus of super happy ending.

I would give it a rating of Decent (6/10), saying I did not lose my time is the nicest I can say as it was pretty to watch, but I don't really feel more fulfilled as I had hoped after the first season. Probably sounds really harsh, but is just how I feel at the end of all of this.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
The biggest problems with the Berseria stuff was that if you didn't play Berseria, you wouldn't understand how significant the connections were (for example, spoiler[Maotelus was Laphicet]), but, if you were playing Berseria and not finished with it (yeah, I'm only, like, halfway through), you'd be spoiled the hell out of (see the above spoiler, which got me). There was significance to the connections, but not something that would be understood by someone who hadn't finished Berseria (part of the problem, of course, being the delay between Japanese and US releases).

I'm also a bit disappointed that they didn't use the book-end ending scene from the game (here, at 17 minutes (that's where the link is at), if you'd like to see). Although I suppose that if one takes this as canon, it does end the fan debate that's been going since the game's release (namely, spoiler[did Sorey become a Seraph? The anime says no]).

Overall, while it wasn't necessarily what I wanted, and it certainly wouldn't rank among my favorite Tales stories (whereas the game is my #1), I'm still going to buy it when FUNi gets around to releasing it. Especially if they give us an LE with the glove, which would be awesome.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I kinda agree with DuskyPredator. Pretty to look at, but the story wasn't all that interesting and neither were the characters. There were some cool moments in there and it was still a decent adventure overall. Rated the 2nd season as Decent which is lower than the 1st season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18