• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ReLife (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I really, REALLY enjoyed this anime. I'll give the anime some leeway in some unanswered questions or 'plot holes', as other people perceive them. Apparently there's lots of manga material left that isn't covered in this anime. The anime managed to end on a high note, loved that as well.
I especially loved the insight on human relationships, bullying and the often spot on humor. The portrayal of Kaizaki's spoiler[trauma] was very good too. The piano soundtrack was sometimes a bit weird, but most times I liked it. The changing ED's were fun. I really loved the one from Puffy, 'Kore ga Watashi no Ikiru Michi'.
I liked most characters, especially the lead. I wasn't that much of an An fan, but she serves her role well, I guess. It wouldn't suprise me if she's a spoiler[former NEET.]

Funny, I'm also 27 years old, just like the lead. Marry me! Ahem.

I'm already missing this anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Wiki tells me that all the characters in this, from ReLife to students to teachers, are named for Kyushu railway stations. I wonder why.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
That's not really uncommon. All the characters from The World God Only Knows were also named after railway stations, and a lot of Rayearth and Nanoha characters are named after cars.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I just finished it and I really liked it. I liked all the characters. Hishiro's unexpected sense of humor and otherwise unexpected gestures were great. "Fight on!" Laughing The show was really funny and charming. I do feel spoiler[like they dragged out the whole Kariu and Honoka conflict for a bit too long and a bit too far in my opinion. It got a bit too dramatic in my opinion.]

spoiler[Kariu and Oga hooking up at the end was fantastic. A planned out confession going out almost perfectly is something I rarely see. And a couple being formed at the end of the show makes me really happy and fuzzy inside, and makes it feel like it was all worth it. And they weren't even the main characters (though Hishiro and Kaizaki hooking up would have been preferable).] I love a show that has multiple pairings, I wish more shows would do that.

So yeah great show. I wish we'll get a 2nd season some day.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I just finished it and I really liked it.

I finished it last week and gave it a pretty good rating. I felt that the story could have done more with the weird situation they set up but they did pretty well wringing the humor out of it.

If they do another season it is obvious that they will develop the relationship between Kaizaki and Hishiro, both of whom are under the impression that their spoiler[person of interest is underage] when in fact they are not. You have to wonder why Ryo is maintaining that situation. Maybe its another experiment. More likely he finds it amusing.

Having thought about it if I had been one of the experiment's subjects I wouldn't give a damn if some girl fell in love with me. I'd go for it. What's the point of reliving high school if you are only allowed to experience the miserable parts.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Having thought about it if I had been one of the experiment's subjects I wouldn't give a damn if some girl fell in love with me. I'd go for it. What's the point of reliving high school if you are only allowed to experience the miserable parts.

Yeah I'd still spoiler[be shipping those two even if Hishiro was actually underage]. Age difference, laws and social standards be damned. Kaizaki obviously isn't some pervy creep going for dat HS girl ass. It's understandable why Kaizaki is struggling with it though. That's just the kind of society he has been brought up in. And he obviously doesn't want to feel miserable after the ReLIFE ends.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I still find that highly unethical, not because of the age thing but because of the "she won't remember this" thing. Yes, let me enjoy a year of your life you won't remember yourself. It feels like a long-term, delayed action roofie.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Eh, I wouldn't liken it to that since in this case I'd assume the feelings would be mutual. Nothing would be done against the girl's will. Kaizaki would be the one to get burned in the end.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Well, mutual, in a sense, but based on deception and lies, which makes informed consent a bit hazy (sure, it's a fact of life that people will lie to people they want to bed, but that's not considered ethical...is it? oO). And there's still that part about wasting her time and opportunities on what he believes will be a dead end with her, and leaving her with nothing to show for it, not even the experiences and memories, which at least he would get to keep. Kaizaki would not be the only one screwed in this scenario, but he gets to go in with full disclosure. spoiler[(except for well, you know)]
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:03 am Reply with quote
Well he is "deceiving" everyone though. The friends he has made will forget about him too. The whole idea of ReLIFE is to get Kaizaki's life back on track and making some good memories is probably a part of that. Allow him regain his confidence. So he has gone down that road already, it's part of ReLIFE. Might as well go all the way.

It's wouldn't necessarily be a waste of time for Hishiro. She'd still learn to interact with people better and maybe get a better understanding of love and romance. I don't know how the memory erasing works though so I don't know which memories she would lose. It might be a bit weird and probably scary if the memory of the relationship remained, but not who she was in relationship with. Not to mention if they had sex. Yeah that might give some sleepless nights.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
Friends are different from romantic relationships, so the effects of the deception aren't really comparable.

How is she supposed to gain a better understanding of love and romance if she can't remember the experience? And I know this is Japan, but I don't see them dating for a year and just holding hands and kissing. What if she got pregnant? How does she explain to a future lover that she's not a virgin when she (probably) said she was?

The reason I compared this to roofies is the attitude that "if she can't remember what happened, no harm, no foul, right?" Wrong. And she's not just a tool to give him experiences so he can stop being a NEET. I think the repercussions of this for her would be a great deal more than for him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
The whole memory thing is just icky in that it makes me hope that, with a theory someone put out, that it is simply a bluff. It feels like there are scarier implications just from it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How is she supposed to gain a better understanding of love and romance if she can't remember the experience? And I know this is Japan, but I don't see them dating for a year and just holding hands and kissing. What if she got pregnant? How does she explain to a future lover that she's not a virgin when she (probably) said she was?

As I said we don't know what the memory wipe actually removes (I think?). I'm not gonna factor in pregnancy because I'd assume Kaizaki would responsible enough to use protection and that would get into the realms of "whether people should have sex unless they're ready to be a parent." Yeah shit happens sometimes with protection, but that's unlikely.

Quote:
The reason I compared this to roofies is the attitude that "if she can't remember what happened, no harm, no foul, right?" Wrong. And she's not just a tool to give him experiences so he can stop being a NEET. I think the repercussions of this for her would be a great deal more than for him.

With roofies it's just rape. There is no consent in that situation. Here we are assuming that she does give consent so that would probably make it a happy memory for her. Couldn't a relationship with Kaizaki just create a warm and fuzzy memory for her that she can't remember well and is a bit hazy? Even if she doesn't remember all those memories would be good memories so it's not like "something bad was done to her, but it's okay because she can't remember."

Last edited by Cam0 on Sat May 01, 2021 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
The supporters would step in before sex got involved, right? Wasn't that the whole point of An trying to seduce Arata? To make sure he wouldn't cross that line?
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
Kaizaki had no feelings towards An so it was a lot easier for him to reject her. If Kaizaki and Hishiro got into a relationship then who knows. Things happen. Of course things would possibly move so slowly with Hishiro that the relationship might not get into that sex stage before ReLIFE ends.

But I was always a bit confused about Yoake's stance on a relationship between Hishiro and Kaizaki. He seemed like he was in favor of it sometimes and against it other times. Sex is part of relationship so it would be a bit naive to think that a relationship between two people wouldn't eventually lead to it. Kaizaki might not pursue sex himself, but if Hishiro were to make a move when both are head over heels in love with each other then I wouldn't put trust in that one "test" An performed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3