• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alderamin on the Sky (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote

Alderamin on the Sky (TV)

Genres: Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: The Katvarna Empire is at war with the neighboring Republic of Kioka. In the Katvarna Empire, the lazy, woman-admiring Ikuta hates war, but due to certain circumstances, he grudgingly takes the High Grade Military Officer Exam. No one would have expected that this 17-year-old young man would eventually become a soldier called a great commander by others. Ikuta survives this world engulfed in war with his superior intellect.
----------------------------------

I really like war theme stories,and this one definitely has the ideas of it. I have some mixed feelings about the preview but I think if they can capture the magic of the battle scenes, then it should work out fine. There's also plenty to adapt too. Looking forward to this one for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Good episode overall, definitely got the military and adventure feel of the show and the OP song reminds me a bit of GATE. Furthermore, Ikta seems like component guy with a clever personality.

Not sure what I think about the character designs still. I'm not too impressed by them but they're not bad either. I think it could work out in the long run. Seems like the episode ends on a cliffhanger so I'm excited for more. The military themes really are a nice touch to the show imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Seems pretty good so far though the episode felt a bit rushed. I hope that was just the first episode and the show will calm down a bit. The main character is unmotivated and pessimistic, but extremely capable when he puts his mind into it. That's cool. Beats the bland, wishy-washy do-gooder main character any day of the week.

Stark700 wrote:
Not sure what I think about the character designs still. I'm not too impressed by them but they're not bad either.

I thought I was not going to like the character designs, but I immediately got used to them. Haro is cute.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The trend for the past few years in LNs would have been to throw someone from modern Japan (probably the dime a dozen male lead) into such a setting, it is nice to have a story that can play the characters a little more straight in this magi-tech-turn of the century situation.

As a first episode, it was alright.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
and adventure feel of the show and the OP song reminds me a bit of GATE.

In my opinion it was a bit too much like GATE, the whole opening bit made me feel pretty unimpressed and had my mind shifting to other anime, ones I like.

Episode 1

Although it started a little poorly for me, I think the episode actually turned itself around for me. The main character is not too bad, that he was feeling up one of the female characters kind of added flaw, like his aggression to other attractive guys. But kind of off that, I think that I quite like Mathew too, that type of character tends to be an easy target, what with how he looks and his pride, but I think he is a little interesting.

That the episode turned into a washed up on an island thing, kind of made me think of, a series I think fondly as setting up some world building and using it ways not quite expected. I am now interested to see where this might go.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked how the episode threw in some world building and character interaction. Ikta is a nice change for an MC. The character designs don't wow me, the best way I could describe them would be 'meh'.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Nice setup episode. Ikta's clever mind and strategy paid off and they managed to outsmart their enemies.

I think this episode also defined Ikta's personality well considering his reactions after hearing about him being "promoted" to Imperial Knight. The world building seems nice so far while I think character chemistry between Ikta and Yatori is strangely appealing. Still getting used to the animation style but I think it's fine.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks the pacing is out of whack? We are just jumping all over the place, from one scene to another. I had a hard time following some of the conversations. Is Kioka some important place? I only got the general idea that shit happens and hero general follows orders that lead to his grave. On the other hand I'm really liking Ikta's personality. He's clever sure, but he also has a temper. He won't take crap even from the princess and he certainly will make it known that he is not happy about being forced to become a soldier.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the pacing is out of whack? We are just jumping all over the place, from one scene to another. I had a hard time following some of the conversations. Is Kioka some important place?

I'm having some trouble with the pacing and the jargon, too (the conversation between Ikta & Co and that General was told in flashback for some reason?) But Kioka is the name of the enemy country currently kicking Ikta's country's ass, the one they were stranded in, etc.

Loved all the background details about Itka this ep. So his mom was from Kioka (was she a POW or a hostage when the Emperor took her into his harem and "gifted" her to Itka's general dad? I think that its likely she was taken against her will). His father basically lost his life for going against orders, and his teacher has already defected to Kioka--why on earth does the imperial family think they can trust Itka?! I know that they probably did this to keep him close and under their supervision, but he's a loose canon with familial ties to the enemy. I hope that his ultimate goal is peace and not defeat, personally, but that's not his country's goal, so I wonder what the Emperor and/or princesses' game is.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 Wrote:
Quote:
why on earth does the imperial family think they can trust Itka?! I know that they probably did this to keep him close and under their supervision, but he's a loose canon with familial ties to the enemy. I hope that his ultimate goal is peace and not defeat, personally, but that's not his country's goal, so I wonder what the Emperor and/or princesses' game is.

I think it is clear that the princess's game is different from that of the Emperor. The bit at the beginning of the second episode where she burst out about "rotten blood" does not show a fondness for the status quo in the empire. While the princess showed that she knows of his background we don't know if anyone else does. I think it is likely that she is binding all five of them to her as the beginning of her faction. In addition to being an intelligent assistant, Ikta is willing to tell her when she is doing wrong. That is a valuable characteristic in someone on your side.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think that the best part of the episode was from within the carriage. Chamille starts sprouting off things she has learned about Ikta, it plays off like her set age as a kid kind of gloating from having learned something, and comes off as her being a bit of a brat. She likely had not actual understanding what it might really mean, and he practically snaps and threatens to kill her (snap her neck) if she continues on. Yatori's reaction seems to show that she understands why he is so upset, and that her then action of holding him was out of duty that of course killing her would be bad. Chamille then looks shaken, confused how this man who protected told her to look after her own life would then turn to threaten hers, after saying she thought were facts.

Extra points for not making the enemy soldiers actually evil, they actually seemed fairly likable and thus made our "heroes" killing them kind of impactful.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
I liked the scene in the carriage as well because it made Chamille a much more plausible twelve-year-old girl. She was delighted that she could show off all the gossip she had about Ikta and couldn't imagine he might not enjoy her light-hearted recounting of his family background.

I'm pretty tired of Ikta's explosive character. My favorite in the show so far is Yatori.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
episodes one and two

After these first two episodes, I'm definitely "team Ikta". He's a great protagonist, problems and all. I don't think it's critical for him to be perfectly lovable or relatable.

The pacing and terminology hasn't bothered me very much, either. They may be skipping over stuff from the source material, I don't know, but just thinking about it I can't think what meaningful content was really skipped. Yes, they don't actually show the princess proving to the border guards that she is the princess to be allowed back into her own kingdom, but what would that scene have added? I'd be bothered if I thought any actual substance was missing but everything they've skipped seems to be pure formality. Better to keep things snappy.

I'm really enjoying the show's approach to war and politics. They've been building themselves a really solid base in terms of characters, setting, and theme. It'll be nice to see where this is going.

Oh right, it's going to school. We couldn't escape guys. Even a boat wreck can't save us from Yet Another Special Academy. Well, at least with how well they've handled things so far, it probably won't be awful.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a show in which I need to watch episodes right after each other or else the pacing will feel painfully slow. It's not that I don't like the buildup to the setting and characters but it seems to take a long time explaining those things. Anyways, I do like Ikta as the main character. Not too sure why but I guess it's because he's very different from the notable characters -- he's not tied in loyalty to the country and has the "commoner's view." He doesn't blindly obey the Emperor or adhere to authority like Yatori does. That's the bit I don't quite like about Yatori, too. It's not too uncommon to fear authority but her responses when Ikta gets out of hand irk me. I'm sure she does it for positive reasons but I don't agree with it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Quote:
That's the bit I don't quite like about Yatori, too. It's not too uncommon to fear authority but her responses when Ikta gets out of hand irk me.

I think that Yatori acts as a "reality check" for Ikta. In a country like that where authority is absolute being non politically correct can be deadly. The fact that her actions do not irk Ikta once past the emotions of the moment tells me that he appreciates what she does. Think of her like a governor that keeps the machinery from running out of control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6