• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alderamin on the Sky (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

There are always douchebags around. I hope that Ikta can deliver some poetic justice to that Torway's a-hole brother.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I love how Ikta doesn't even deny about the women he played around with.

Meanwhile, I like the buildup this episode. It establishes Ikta as an intelligent man and clever mind, something that military looks for. Meanwhile, Yatori is also tough and I like how confident she is in her own abilities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Didn't really need the centipede eating... >.<

Well, who doesn't love to see obnoxious bullies taken down a few pegs, as well as overcoming grudges, especially when it's done cleverly. But I think the main reason I like Ikta is because when he talks I hear Obi from Shirayukihime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

It feels like so much is happening in the episode in that we are getting an abridged look at their time in training and how they are coming out the other end. I am not complaining about it, I am happy that we have got the acknowledgment of talents done and getting right to showing us some action. Ikta comes across as lazy, but he knows what he is talking about, how to go beyond just theory and turn effective strategies into practice. He could not personally fight of the group, but Yatori has that skills, and then the brother got her so he could push the faces of the "weak teams" into the dirt.

Honestly, I feel kind of safe to say now that this show has got my expectations up, I am quite interested in it now.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I love how Ikta doesn't even deny about the women he played around with.

You don't see that too often in anime. I like what it does for the character as well, but I suppose the price for it is to have to read a lot of forum postings about how sick and awful he is because of it. Yatori seems used to that part of him and it doesn't seem to bother her. It is hard to say if she was ever one of his lovers or if she ever wanted to be.

And he certainly gets around. That situation with his subordinate. He nailed her mom some time ago and at first she thinks that means she doesn't have to take orders from him? One has to suspect she was jealous more than outraged. But she has the integrity to realize she has to cooperate with him when it comes down to it.

Another character I am impressed with is princess Shamille. She might be high rank and very young but she has the poise to act according to her rank as Warrant Officer and not as royalty. Although she might make mistakes as she did with Ikta there is no part of her that is haughty, imperious, or petulant that we would often expect of a 12 year old monarch.

I think David Weber would love this anime. Probably Robert Heinlein as well if he were alive.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
episode three

Assuming that the mock battle itself doesn't just skipped over, I'm looking forward to seeing how Yatori performs in a large-scale confrontation. Ikta may be the main character, but he's already been set up a strategist so the way he'll perform is pretty well set up. On the other hand, it is always interesting to see what shows do with warriors in large-scale battles since how for a character can go with a one-person-army routine before they're dragged down by sheer numbers is a big indicator of intent and tone.

At the rate their going, the characters may not be spending too awful long at this school, which is a good thing in my book. This episode was good but it's difficult not to get burnt out on school settings while watching anime.

The whole thing with the centipede makes me think that Ikta may secretly be a meerkat. He clearly has a history of roaming. He also climbs trees to keep watch from high places.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
The whole thing with the centipede makes me think that Ikta may secretly be a meerkat. He clearly has a history of roaming. He also climbs trees to keep watch from high places.

Well he seems to be a fan of the no worries thing, so I am now imagining his master would sing hakuna matata.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yatori seems used to that part of him and it doesn't seem to bother her. It is hard to say if she was ever one of his lovers or if she ever wanted to be.

I think it's pretty clear that's what they both want down the line. It's fairly common for the playboy type to mess around with many women but then have one special one he wants to court properly.

But yeah, props to Yatori for not getting all huffy and jealous about it.

HaruhiToy wrote:
And he certainly gets around. That situation with his subordinate. He nailed her mom some time ago and at first she thinks that means she doesn't have to take orders from him? One has to suspect she was jealous more than outraged.

It was more about what it says about his character. If your commanding officer is some skeevy douchbag of course you're not going to respect him enough to want to follow him.

That said, you'd think Ikta would be happy at the chance to slack off and not do any real work, but he decides to go out of his way to prove himself anyways.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That said, you'd think Ikta would be happy at the chance to slack off and not do any real work, but he decides to go out of his way to prove himself anyways.

I'm betting he's only doing it so he can bed his subordinate. Capitalize on her clear mixed attraction to him and look all cool as her commander.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I just assumed slacking off is something he wants to do on his own terms, and not as a result of something like insubordination
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I thought the only reason he decided to do this was to get back at his potential bullies. He didn't care about his command until the mock battle arrangements were announced and instead of challenging Suya on why she thought that she had the right to overrule her superior officers who appointed Ikta as commander he cornered her on whether she could win the mock battle. I think all Ikta is interested in doing is humiliating some bullies.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The mock battle was nice, pretty much felt like a real fight with Ikta and his troops playing mind games against the other side. Too bad the Yatori, aka the hot red head soldier and her side didn't win in the end.

Looks like the plot in the second half to get the princess and avenge Hazaf Rikan...

Glad to see Yatori save the princess this episode though. It's just tomato juice! Also, I noticed that they skipped the OP song this time to squeeze in some extra content..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
That was the best episode so far in my opinion. The scumbag got what he deserved and the tactical stuff was pretty interesting. Watching Yahtori slice people up was fun too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Interesting shift between war games and war. This series does both very well. Although if the rest of that captain's squad had been as committed to the cause as he was, both Yahtori and the Princess would be dead. I think they got lucky.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

What was particularly strong was showing the hazy effect after Yatori had killed all the enemy soldier. At first it had me thinking it might be the princess, before the comment of her not being able to drop her swords being indicative that it was Yatori who was in a haze and unable to calm, Ikta finally being the one able to bring her back. The last bit especially cemented a relationship between the two of them that goes beyond any romance.

The series is still going strong. I wonder what will come from the group saving the princess again. Becoming her personal generals?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6