• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Alderamin on the Sky (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The last bit especially cemented a relationship between the two of them that goes beyond any romance

They are quite effective partners. I thought that the princess got quite jealous over it.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
episode four

Is the poor princess ever going to catch a break? She's stuck in a Princess Peach level existence at the moment. Bonus points if she ever ends up in a cage suspended over lava.

I really enjoyed the way Yatori's martial trance was handled, both during and after the fight. While the aftermath seems to be getting the most attention, I was also pretty struck by how well a sense of flow and focus was captured before that point. This is something a lot of shows struggle with and it's nice to see it executed well.

I'm looking forward to the show bringing Ikta's skill as a strategist into a larger-scale conflict that isn't just training.
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

What was particularly strong was showing the hazy effect after Yatori had killed all the enemy soldier. At first it had me thinking it might be the princess, before the comment of her not being able to drop her swords being indicative that it was Yatori who was in a haze and unable to calm, Ikta finally being the one able to bring her back. The last bit especially cemented a relationship between the two of them that goes beyond any romance.

That scene was amazing. I initially thought their relationship was going to be him as the brains/strategist and her as the brawn. I'm glad to see Yatori isn't some weapon to be aimed at enemies. There seems to be consequences to her actions and hopefully this will get explored in the future.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

"Two in one".

What an episode. I just love Ikta and Yatori's chemistry this week as the two comes bonds during their time together. The "missions" that they did is quite fun to watch too especially with Yatori's smarts. Speaking of smarts, those wolves are...very intelligent.

Yatori herself also makes good tactical moves during the episode and I really like the way she expresses what she wants to be. The action is nice, nothing to fancy but straight to the point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Those were some intelligent wolves indeed. What the hell. I'm surprised they weren't pulling off some spinning slicing attacks. And Yatori and Ikta were quite extraordinary kids. No panicking, no hesitation just immediate action and quick thinking. To be honest I found it all to be a bit too difficult to take at face value. Maybe there's an explanation why the wolves were so intelligent, other than they were trying to protect a pup.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Well wolves can be pretty smart animals. Really I kind of like when a story can go back to a primal bit of competing against man, well against two kids it was even more believable as a threat. Wolves are well known to naturally employ techniques, like using the pack to surround prey, I have in the past been quite fond of such documentaries.

Cam0 wrote:
Those were some intelligent wolves indeed. What the hell. I'm surprised they weren't pulling off some spinning slicing attacks.

..... Sif!

Only Macaulay Culkin could have fended off those wolves better.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
episode five

Poor wolves. Forever the bad guys.

This is really nice backstory, though. There were the obvious element of building Yatori and Ikta's relationship, and explaining where their differing views of the world come from. However, the best part was them building up what Ikta, and to a lesser extent the country itself, lost in the destruction of that community.

Maybe the whole thing was orchestrated by the wolves.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

It is unfortunate that military officers using their power to sell off military resources as a way to make a buck, is not only in jerk ass anime characters. I know someone who was a victim of such actual corruption.

It looks like actions in the show to intimidate the locals into obedience is about to backfire.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
Grateful Spirit Festival...so those people are Deadheads?

"...and that's created its own unique traditions. For example..." Death by Snu-Snu?

But yeah, Ikta crossed a line with his comments toward Haro. Usually his schtick has a purpose when he's being that jerky, but that just came out of nowhere to hurt her for no reason. I guess he was feeling pissy that his golden words of wisdom had gone over her head earlier.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
episode six

I'm really digging the design on our new arc's antagonist (of sorts - I suppose that Ikta and company may not directly consider her an enemy).

Despite mostly being set up, I liked the episodes collections of bits and bobs for the most part. It gave the show some breathing room to insert some really nice character moments. I'm pretty curious about what's going to happen with the other science fan.

It's been long enough since I watched the episode that it's just a touch faded, but I feel like Ikta's comments to Haro were to distract away from something he didn't really want to deal with by creating a more immediate problem. However, I can't remember what that thing was, so I could be mis-remembering.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Maybe it's just me but it feels as if the show's developing slowly. Not that I have a big problem with it but I'd like to go a bit faster. That said, I'm liking the relationship budding between Ikta and Kanna. One, it brings out an energetic feel out of Ikta (his 'scientific interest') and it's enjoyable to see that side of him. Two, Kanna is cute. But with how this episode went, I think Kanna has raised some death flags -- the sudden sortie command and her presence on the battlefield oppose to Ikta's and co.'s absence there hints at this. I just hope it won't be the case because I really like her character.

Additionally, the reveal of what was behind the prison door surprises me a bit. I had expected it to be some sort of holy item with all the religion talk in the previous episode but I was sort of wrong. Still, I'm confused as to the Hahashiku's importance -- aside from them (the wind/fire ones) aiding in combat -- since we haven't had much information on them besides their 'typings' and each soldier possessing one. Maybe it was explained earlier and I forgot.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I thought the pacing's been fine. If not for the blasted narration at the end telling me everything in retrospect, I'd have no preconceived notion that Ikta was going to be some ubermensch general leading the unenlightened masses into a new era of warfare. That's my biggest pet peeve.

Good episode overall. Same complaints about the worldbuilding as the last few, but the character interactions have been going strong.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Ikta is a lady killer! Oh what an episode. From the dancing between him and Kanna to a Holy War being declared, I find it really intriguing at how events develop.

Somehow, I also have a feeling that Kanna will die on the battlefield. And it it happens, I wonder how Ikta will feel about that. It'll also be interesting to see Yatori's role in the upcoming episodes of this arc. Quite excited about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
All that work at making Kanna an interesting character, but so much death flags make her character a likely casualty. Although it might really be fitting for the message the show seems to be having, I kind of hope she will make it.

Seems that the bastard general could not be bothered to run the base except in pretty much forcing a group into fighting, likely to remove them as a hindrance, or even for him to look good.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Based on the episode's general sentiment, I wouldn't be surprised if it's because he's an Aldmerin zealot and wanted to provoke a "holy war" from the natives so he could justify exterminating them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6