• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Orange (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote

Orange (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes:

Plot Summary: Naho Takamiya is a timid 16-year-old girl. One day, she receives a letter from her future self detailing actions she must take to prevent Kakeru Naruse, the new transfer student, from sinking into depression and taking his own life.
----------------------------------

Very ecstatic about this show. The manga is one of my favorite shoujo series and this one really has a lot of drama in it with heavy characterization and storytelling. I'm okay with the studio being TMS Entertainment but more pleased to see the awesome staff like Hiroshi Hamasaki (director) working on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

The setting gives me a countryside feeling

Good artwork and I think it's obvious that Naho has an attraction or at least curiosity towards Kakeru, the new boy in town. Animation quality is good, a lot better than I had expected. While Naho isn't too special as a character, there's definitely room to develop her. I think it's the dialogues that attracted me in watching this series. The manga is good too as I've read it before but so far, I'm satisfied at what I've seen. Shame this will probably be just a 1 cour. Oh well. Still, a good start so far imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

So from the beginning we find that she has fallen in love with the guy, but spoiler[he is going to die, and yet she will happily be a couple with one of the other boys]? I wonder though if the thought of removing regrets might have changed what otherwise looks like a happy future.

It was a nice first episode, and although it seems likely to be filled with feels, I can't quite pick what it might be like.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:02 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 1:

The setting gives me a countryside feeling.

I've read in the manga author notes that it's set in Matsumoto, in Nagano Prefecture (where she's from/currently lives). So not exactly hicks-ville, but still surrounded by mountains and nature. I appreciate that grounding in a real-life setting!

As for the 1 cour length, the manga is finished at 5 vol (2 omnibus for English release) so it should certainly be able to tell its story without rushing things.

I'm happy with it so far :) Azusa is a lot of fun to watch in motion! I love all of the characters and their friendship, so it's good to spend more time with them in a new format.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I found the first episode to be ok. Kakeru joining the group felt a bit forced or rushed and Kakeru doesn't seem that interesting at first glance. There's something odd going on with the faces that I don't like. Like the roundness of the head is really showing and it looks weird or something. I dunno.

Anyway I'm interested in where the show is going to go from here. Since it's based on a relatively short and finished manga, we are not going to have any of that "read-the-manga" ending bs, hopefully.
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I kept wanting her to just READ THE REST OF THE LETTER NOW!! But it seems like we're supposed to accept the idea that she'll read a few sentences at a time on the day said events are supposed to happen, which I'm not totally into. It does seem like the future character is rolling the dice here noting both big and small regrets despite the fact that her life is pretty great. But there is some interesting material here, so I'll continue to watch.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Time travel feels like the rage these days, even Dragon Ball Super is doing it. Does the main character realize that changing the past will change the future as well? Heck if Kakeru ends up staying alive and they end up get together, would her baby in the future disappear? Hopefully this world uses the same system as DBZ where the past will become its own era if anything is changed. Also how did she get the power to send the letter to the past? Sigh, I don't think I have the right mindset for this series. Dropped.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think this premise would've worked a whole lot better for me if they'd had her future self sending a series of letters (if she sent one, she could send others - maybe she had to hurry to catch the time-mail carrier) rather than one huge angst/advice/puzzle filled tome. Because there's no way I wouldn't read a whole letter from someone, especially if it seemed to be from me and correctly predicted events. I would stay home from school/work to read that. I could not possibly wait two weeks to find out why the person I'd been warned not to invite had gone missing. Shocked

If I were sending a letter to myself, I'd be a lot more specific as to reasons I wanted me to do or not do things besides "you're gonna regret it." I would have a pretty clear handle on what I would need to say to convince myself (foremost being some personal details no one else could know). Future Naho doesn't seem to know her younger self at all. So clearly this letter is from a time-traveling demon bent on destroying Naho's life by tricking her into doing everything wrong. Well, for all she knows, it could be that.

Ok, there's still the problem of even if she sent multiple letters they could all arrive on the same day... >.> Nope, there's just too much wrong with this premise as presented to suspend disbelief.

Also, I could never go a whole year in shoes too small. I'd go barefoot first.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
This show is kind of a reverse ReLife, shoujo style. I wonder if it ends up measuring up in quality though.

DuskyPredator wrote:
So from the beginning we find that she has fallen in love with the guy, but spoiler[he is going to die, and yet she will happily be a couple with one of the other boys]? I wonder though if the thought of removing regrets might have changed what otherwise looks like a happy future.

I think the regret is connected to the fact that the MC is overly shy, i.e. spoiler[she does fall in love but probably doesn't fess up until it's too late. The letters seem to really focus on pushing the MC to come out of her shell and get it on with the guy.] Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Ah this episode...the narratives imo never fails to deliver so far for the series. The atmospheric feel and the character chemistry between Kakeru and Naho this week has been charming sight to see.

The revelation at the end as well...
From what I heard, the episode had 17 animator directors involved. No wonder it looked so good and realistic. Good episode again.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2: Wait, why did Kakeru miss his mom's funeral? Because he chose to go out with his new friends instead? That makes no sense. He had a cell phone. Could no one reach him, or try to pick him up? Did he really make a conscious choice to miss the funeral, or was he really uninformed?

I'm going to ignore the time travel mechanics of the letter, because like in Erased, I think they'll leave it unexplained and it's not really the point of the story anyway, just a narrative trick. Although, if this turns out to be all in the older Naho's head, I'll be disappointed for sure.
Older Naho & Sawa make an adorable couple and their baby is so cute! If she really changes the past, will that put her marriage & baby at risk?
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
She committed suicide while Kakeru was out with the group that day; the funeral, etc. is why he was absent for two weeks.

It was interesting to see that one of the other girls gave Naho side-eye for a second as if to say 'are you after both of them.' Which begs the question, is she actually trying to change the past so that she ends up with Kakeru, when she already has a gorgeous husband and child in the future? They reference Kakeru dying in an 'accident' but maybe that's a polite way of saying that he actually committed suicide. The flowers also made me hope that he's not in a coma in a hospital bed.
tophg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
The rather casual way in which Kakeru explained why he'd missed those two weeks, and then apologized for talking about it at all, was really heartbreaking. But also a bit disturbing and difficult to fathom. Given that the rest of the episode up to that point had shown us Naho tying herself in knots about something as relatively trivial as a lunch box, this was one of those emotional whiplash moments that reminds me how anime can really expose cultural differences very starkly. After this, the references to Naho's motherliness, even while Kakero was laughing about it at the end, had an edge that I couldn't quite grasp. My non-Japanese narrative filters made me react to this as just tasteless and inappropriate, completely trivialising the suicide, while it was presented as an apparently tender and heartfelt exchange.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this series so far, but I'm guessing that I'll need work hard to keep those filters in check so I can follow the emotional beats of the story that's actually being told in its proper cultural context.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

My god this girl's an idiot. She's told the eraser contains a game-changing message, but she can't be bothered to take 30 seconds to read it before tabling it to rush off for some school duty or whatever? The only thing that could have kept me from immediately reading that note would be an active shooter in the hallway. I don't know, maybe it's not so much stupidity as a complete lack of curiosity, which I guess explains her dull personality.

For once I'm asking the source readers: is she like this all the way through or does she get better? The only thing keeping me from dropping this now is, ironically, curiosity about what happened originally, but so far every episode Naho pisses me off so much I'm not sure it's worth it (she hasn't quite risen to Aoi (Coppelion) or Lisa (TiR) levels of irritating yet, but she's sure working on my last nerve). Maybe I'll just read the reviews (if they're ever put up) to see when that's revealed and just watch that part.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 3
For once I'm asking the source readers: is she like this all the way through or does she get better? The only thing keeping me from dropping this now is, ironically, curiosity about what happened originally, but so far every episode Naho pisses me off so much I'm not sure it's worth it (she hasn't quite risen to Aoi (Coppelion) or Lisa (TiR) levels of irritating yet, but she's sure working on my last nerve). Maybe I'll just read the reviews (if they're ever put up) to see when that's revealed and just watch that part.

She gets better-ish, I guess. She does try following the letter more closely as time goes on, but sometimes her actual life goes off the rails and she has to fill in the gaps herself. Generally, though, Naho isn't a very proactive protagonist, so you'll see a lot of her trying to work herself up to do something or needing external support.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5