• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound promising. I think I'd better drop this while I'm still merely annoyed with her snail-like lack of curiosity about even her own life. :/
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Ah, this episode made me feel sorry for Naho but at the same time, she should of been more open about her feelings to Kakeru. I really dislike that Ueda girl though, the one that overly attached herself to Kakeru.

Meanwhile, I think there's a lot about opportunities and Naho needed to use it. The letters tell her events for the future but there's also chance to change them. Good episode, quite a bit of drama as I had expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Kakeru has it tough. Mother's death, overly clingy girlfriend, Naho avoiding him and friends doubting him (Takako and Azusa being like: "Whose side is he on?") though he might not be aware of that last one.

Stark700 wrote:
Ah, this episode made me feel sorry for Naho

Not me. I was raising my fist at the screen. Her lack of courage mildly annoyed me. But she regained some respect points at the end.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It looked like Ueda was dating him primarily because of where he came from. They said that she used to live in Tokyo too, so figures that she probably misses the place and such, so she grabbed him as a way to feel close to that again. Her clingy behaviour and her insistence on talking about Tokyo and frustrations of the current area, was not exactly healthy to him, by the sounds of it, moving away from Tokyo was part of an act to try and get him to stress less. That his mother committed suicide, and that he too as at risk of doing so, he is in need of something else.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I like Kakeru. He has cheered up a lot since episode 1. He even likes to take the initiative and I feel like he goes to school mostly just to see Naho (and the others in the group, maybe). Suwa is a really, really nice guy, but if he at some point starts gunning for Naho, I'll curse him.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Just catching up on this, since a slot freed up in my schedule this season thanks to Regalia's production problems....

episodes one through five

I'm really happy that the show feels less desperate after episode one. The whole reason this show was so low on my priority list is how the first episode tried to force this sense of nostalgia and familiarity when the characters and setting were all new to us. It didn't work and I found it annoying. The episodes that followed all felt more natural, partially because the characters have actually had some time to introduce themselves and partially because the show stopped trying to push the nostalgia button so directly.

A minor complaint with episode five was just how awkward the insertion of the parallel worlds theory of time travel was. The parallel worlds approach fits the story and its themes very well, it just seems like there had to be a more natural way to get that idea into the narrative.

Naho's indecisiveness is kind of frustrating at first, but I'm starting to find it more amusing. I like that she's so indecisive that she even misses an opportunity to cross the street, as two other people clearly walk through a gap in traffic while she's yelling at Kakeru from the other side of the road in episode four. That little detail cracked me up.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well this was interesting. The idea of time machine, black holes, and time travel being a topic they discussed in class (which ironically has ties with the show's plot elements)

Naho and Kakeru's bonding also gets stronger this episode.

I still really don't like that other girl for telling Naho to stay away from Kakeru. Well at least Suwa came to help her on time or that could of gotten bad. Good episode, liked the balance of the drama and sweet moments.

Suwa is also such an awesome guy, very underrated character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Suwa is a really, really nice guy, but if he at some point starts gunning for Naho, I'll curse him.

Well he already likes her, probably from before the start of the series, and in the future (timeline) they have a baby together. Based off of the notes of her future self, she wants her younger self to be aware of the things Suwa does. Actually by the sounds of it he helped her through mourning, but apparently the last message he gives before committing suicide was about thinking he made her angry and about valentines chocolates.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
episode six

Since at least one more letter has been confirmed, it would be amusing, in a twisted way, if Kakeru's suicide was prompted by some future Kakeru writing a letter back in time about his own regrets. I'm aksi wondering if Suwa's letter says, "Don't worry and help Naho try to get Kakeru, she's totally yours, bro."

One thing that sticks out to me is the whole Naho bullying subplot. It feels like a distraction to me. It hasn't really justified its existence yet and starting to get skeptical that it will. It feels like some take on "the past is obstinate" from 11/22/63, but that doesn't really fit.

The second half of the episode, at the festival, was far better. It was probably the best content in the series thus far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I love the festival mood with the yutaka, spirit, and everyone being together. Naho looks nice in her yutaka too imo alongside Kakeru. They even look like a couple as some others mentioned. Also interesting to see Kakeru's last message..

Pacing is picking up more now and I think they adapted more than I had expected. Still feel kinda bad for Suwa this episode. He's such a good guy honestly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
plot twist, everyone will have a letter from the future. Okay, maybe not that much, but at least Suwa does.

I am actually kind of getting a bit annoyed by our heroine who cannot tell that Kakeru is talking about her, as if the flirting is not incredibly obvious.

I liked how glasses guy went up trying to get zero votes as a joke, only to get 1.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
It feels like some take on "the past is obstinate" from 11/22/63, but that doesn't really fit.

What do you mean by this? I don't think I understand what you're referring to.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
So I went through this on Saturday, heard it was a good show watched 1-5, then 6 today. Since heard it was a pretty good show this season.

DuskyPredator wrote:
plot twist, everyone will have a letter from the future. Okay, maybe not that much, but at least Suwa does.

With Suwa stating he has a letter now, I wonder when he got it. If he got it before Kakeru showed up, then if his also stated that he shouldn't invite Kakeru to go with them on the first day, but he decided to do it anyway. What if his letter is about how to get Naho later and things he should do to eventually get to that point. Would be an interesting twist.

Episode 3 where Suwa gets Kakeru to join the club without Naho having to do it which was different from the letter's past is Suwa's first influence on him that was different from the past where she thinks the future is changing. And his persistence about the club in episode 2. The parts where she thinks the future is just changing seem to be the parts where Suwa is instead influencing the change from the letter she has. Like when she runs away from Kakeru in episode 4 and Suwa is there that wasn't written as happening in her letter and she mentions that the letter doesn't mention this.

I don't think the others have letters, or it just doesn't seem that way. Since they were wondering if Naho was hiding something. Well Azusa and Takako mentioned that, I don't think Suwa or Hagita said anything during that scene.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I am actually kind of getting a bit annoyed by our heroine who cannot tell that Kakeru is talking about her, as if the flirting is not incredibly obvious.

Yeah she is pretty dense.

HelloBucket wrote:
episode six
Since at least one more letter has been confirmed, it would be amusing, in a twisted way, if Kakeru's suicide was prompted by some future Kakeru writing a letter back in time about his own regrets. I'm aksi wondering if Suwa's letter says, "Don't worry and help Naho try to get Kakeru, she's totally yours, bro."

Did they ever talk about when they made those letters sending a letter to their future selves thing they did in the future scene of episode 3? I don't think they said exactly when they made those letters yet. But Kakeru in his letter to the future it seemed like he knew what was going to happen to himself and that he wasn't going to be there anyway. So perhaps he did get a letter like you mentioned. Another thing that could of happened maybe is what if he found Naho's letter if say he went over to her place with her sometime with them going out, found her letter to herself and sees it saying that he dies. Or perhaps found Suwa's letter sometime. Either of them could be a possibly if he didn't receive a letter himself.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
What do you mean by this? I don't think I understand what you're referring to.

Minor 11/22/63 spoiler: spoiler[In Stephen King's novel 11/22/63 (and I assume the TV adaptation of it), there is an all-knowing pseudo-intelligent antagonistic force which opposes changes in the timeline to the extent to which they would impact the future course of events. For example, if you knew when someone was going to die and you got in your car intending to go save them your car might not start or you'd get caught in a freak traffic jam. The narrator summarizes this as "the past is obstinate".]
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks. That makes sense.

To me it kind of seems like the bullying thing is in there just to have some direct and immediate conflict. I personally could take it or leave it. It was pretty infuriating to see her carry the boxes around when she knew they were telling her to do it to mess with her, but it fits pretty well with her character most other times, since she's a pretty big milquetoast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5