• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I think future Suwa knew that the reason he was reluctant to encourage Kakeru and Naho in the past was that he liked Naho. But he either could not bring himself to put that in writing, or he suspected that putting it in writing would reduce present Suwa's motivations--even if just subconsciously.

This episode makes it seem like the present timeline will end up with SuwaxKakeru rather than NahoxKakeru. >_>
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
episode seven

I really hope this spells the end of the bullying arc. It really hasn't added anything to the story, in my opinion. It feels like a filler to space out the more plot-important events but if that's all it is, then there had to be better options.

So far, I'm not seeing any signs that anyone else got a letter. Takako and Azusa, in particular, have made some decisions it seems unlikely they would have had they received a letter. Then again, there was their very timely save of Naho when she was tasked with carrying boxes.

I love how the characters keep giving Naho and Kakeru "privacy" but, not really. I mean, they were standing just outside the door staring at them when Kakeru confessed. How does that even qualify? Laughing

At any rate, things seem to be going too well, too quickly and the letters are going to be getting less and less useful. I'm kind of looking forward to the show leaving its rails a bit.

On a side note: I wonder how much of this is different from what I've seen in the US, in terms of how potential suicide is handled, because of it being set in Japan and because of it being a story. From what I've seen, it'd be pretty easy to for any of the characters to get Kakeru hospitalized here in the States, not that this would necessarily be the way to go even if the option is on the table.
K_senpai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Personally, to get the maximum fulfillment out of this series, I wouldn't worry too much about the sci-fi aspect of it...It's kind of like Kokoro Connect (another great anime, by the way). Swapping bodies is not possible and (as far as I can remember) we were barely given an explanation as to how the phenomenon happened (well there was Heartseed, but other than that I really don't remember, so my bad). But such a surreal event, just like receiving a letter from the future in Orange, leads to unique character drama, which still somehow remains relatable despite the unrelatable circumstances. I've read this manga though a long time ago, so it's fun to watch it and remember the events that play out. I love the solemn, bittersweet atmosphere, and as someone who has had someone close to them suffer a similar fate as Kakeru, I find this story to be special and comforting in a way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

My favorite part is when Naho's friends told off Kakeru's ex when she tried to bully Naho again..this week.

Also, I really like how they transit between the present and future timeline to reflect ongoing events during the plot to make it more clear. The ending though...that confession from Naho had emotions in it. Plenty of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Ah another episode of emotional feels.

What I liked about this episode is Kakeru's continuous growing relationship with almost everyone around him. Oh and of course, there's an awkward moment between Kakeru and Naho. Very shoujoish type of scene but I think it does give even more of a closure moment between the duo.

The Saku and Azusa moments were also kinda cute.

Glad to see Kakeru's friends on the same page to save Kakeru after they discuss about the letters. He's so lucky to have friends like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
plot twist, everyone will have a letter from the future.

Hooray for a joke turning out to be the actual deal. Although I think the series kind of lack proper foreshadowing to say that this entire group got letters to the future, and it has taken this long for them all to realise it. It also means all 5 got the warning, and no one stopped it (Suwa said he did not get it until the end of the day).
LordMaou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
plot twist, everyone will have a letter from the future.

Hooray for a joke turning out to be the actual deal. Although I think the series kind of lack proper foreshadowing to say that this entire group got letters to the future, and it has taken this long for them all to realise it. It also means all 5 got the warning, and no one stopped it (Suwa said he did not get it until the end of the day).

Yeah he said he got his the day of the opening ceremony just didn't read it till he got home. I wonder if in Episode 9 they will each say they didn't read it till they got home for the other 3.

Like I think that before there was Naho doing things on her own trying to fix things. Suwa doing things on his own before he talked to Naho about it. Which then in this episode Suwa told Takako and Azusa about the letter, which those two both knew about it together so both of those two might of been talking about the letter together long before this. Which Takako and Azusa might of been showing that they knew but wanted to know if Naho got one as well with them always asking "Are you hiding something from us?" basically throughout the series. I kind of wonder if there was instructions like to try to make Naho and Kakeru get close together, only help Naho directly if she tells you she needs help or reveals about the letter. But that seems a little silly unless all the future selves wrote the letters together and Future Naho said to try to let her handle the situation unless she says she needs help. And Hagita only told Azusa about it and was probably acting on his own before then.

I think we all know by now that Naho needs all the help she can get with how dense she is about the situations that are presented to her. I mean come on.

K_senpai wrote:
It's kind of like Kokoro Connect (another great anime, by the way).

Agreed that Kokoro Connect was a great anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I like how cartoony they summed up the recent story with that timeline montage.
Had fun watching this episode with the sports festival.

Lol, the fan service. It's obvious the girls likes to see a shirtless Suwa, Kakeru, etc. Got some good laughs with all the drama mixed in with the comedy although I think drama is going to pick up more again.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This had me confused at first. But then I remembered that Kakeru never told Azusa, Takako and Hagita about her mother. Anyway, how difficult is it for Naho and Kakeru to hook up? It's starting to get a bit irritating. Just DO IT!
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
This had me confused at first. But then I remembered that Kakeru never told Azusa, Takako and Hagita about her mother. Anyway, how difficult is it for Naho and Kakeru to hook up? It's starting to get a bit irritating. Just DO IT!

I read that last line as:

Though both Naho and Kakeru could probably use some training from Shia.

Kakeru still hinting about his thoughts of going away in this episode again. With talking about it being better if they don't since who knows if he'll move again.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Well that was quite special. We got a school competition with team racing and I really like how Kakeru's friends all poured their efforts together to win. I mean, they weren't competing for their own egos but rather as a team. Even with that ankle injury, Kakeru did well.

The comedy feels a little bit dry at times but I think still tolerable on most parts with the teasing between the cast. On a negative note, I really hope they put more effort into the animation. The quality really dropped...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Dang, the more I think about it, the more I feel sorry for Suwa from the present timeline. The feels..

The narratives still follow Kakeru's activities in details.
I kinda liked the episode's more relaxed style this week with the group hanging outside of school.

Kakeru expresses guilt this episode about his family in a way that's more tense compared to other episodes. I think the episode ended at a pretty good place with Naho expressing her own guilt about how it may be "her fault" that Kakeru died.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately Suwa gave up his romantic line to Naho that he would always care about her, to instead say he will always bring Kakeru back. Despite how they have meant to try and change Kakeru's outlook to being more positive, he has still ended up in a bad place, throwing and smashing his phone for almost no reason. Even if they are trying to help him, he might not be able to help others, or even himself.

They should do what they can to help him, but hurting themselves is not good, and what was mentioned about the consequences of those around them. That last bit reminds me of a part from the movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, where misfortune put on others is a theme.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

So Kakeru is still kind of giving Naho the cold shoulder this episode although he does take the apology in a sincere way.

After all the thoughts and reflection, it looks like Naho really wants to save Kakeru. For most part, I think the episode was adapted well in particular with Naho's resolve. Wonder if the finale will add some additional content though. Good episode, can't wait to see more. Naho just doesn't want to lose Kakeru Anime cry
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

So Kakeru is still kind of giving Naho the cold shoulder this episode

That started to irritate me a bit. I know the dude's had it tough, but venting it all on Naho ain't cool. At this point we know that he is in love with Naho so him giving Naho the cold shoulder feels a bit artificial if I dare say so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5