• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do American Companies Bother To Release Filler Episodes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena being an extreme example of this, tacking some of its more important developments onto the end of what are otherwise recap episodes.

Reminds me ofSpeed Grapher which had a clip show about halfway through...then it leads into a plot point so important, it sets the stage for the next several episodes.

It was an interesting premise for a clip show, at least, which is that the evil organization is doing its accounting, and they're trying to figure out how much they have to pay in damages the hero has caused tearing up their operations.

Touma wrote:
Considering the amount of indignation and outrage I often see over a bit of editing I am really surprised that so many people are in favor of having the US companies omit entire episodes.

I would like to be the one who decides whether or not I watch each episode.
There have been a lot of filler episodes that I have enjoyed.

I can always choose to skip an episode that is released, but I cannot choose to watch an episode that is not released.

You also have to consider that any ending that is made for the anime would, by the definition being used here, be filler.
Should all anime-original endings be omitted from the releases here?

If you're buying the home video sets though, it can get kind of annoying. For One Piece, for instance, FUNimation will usually transition to a filler arc mid-volume, then transition out mid-volume. This means that you cannot completely skip filler. I can understand why FUNimation does it. but it doesn't mean I won't be annoyed over it.

JDude042 wrote:
Then you have Bleach which had to suffer through a lot of filler arcs/episodes from what I've heard, some stuck in at inconvenient spots from what I recall that would otherwise make no sense being there according to the actual plot line. Could filler have been what caused the death of the Bleach anime, or was there just an overall decline in interest in the series as a whole in Japan, and that's what caused the Bleach anime to be cut short, or were they just done at that point because the anime would have gotten caught up with the manga by that point? I know the anime ended after the Fullbringer Arc ended and before the Quincy War arc.

For Bleach, characters introduced in filler arcs continue to hang around once the canon material resumes, though they invariably slowly get phased out. Except for Rurichiyo, who usually serves no purpose to the story and whom all other characters deeply admire and respect for no reason at all. She's a fanfiction Mary Sue.

doubleO7 wrote:
I believe the entirety of Hunter x Hunter (2011) was canon (all 148 eps), unless you want two count the two recap episodes that featured anime-original framing stories.

And I'm gonna be that guy and point out that if we're talking percentages, One Piece, despite it's enormous length, actually has comparatively few filler episodes (~90-ish out of 740) for an SJ long-runner. Instead, it usually opts to drag out canon material, which I suppose might be just as bad or even worse depending on your perspective. This might be one of those rare cases where filler arcs would actually be preferable as a means to avoid catching up to the manga, since many fans find OP's anime-original episodes to be surprisingly decent overall.

I'm only watching Hunter X Hunter via Toonami (not that interested in the anime as a whole as I have the entirety of the manga and have memorized it pretty well), but the first episode greatly expanded Katzo as a character and completely changed his appearance, while at the same time removing Kite from the series entirely until late into the series. They've also created a few other embellishments here and there, though I'll take your word for it that it follows the manga closely from beginning to end from there on out.

The One Piece filler is not bad (except for the ones early into the series), but any filler arcs made now are produced to promote an upcoming One Piece movie by tying filler characters of that arc into the movie's story. The Little East Blue arc, for instance, has villains who work for the antagonist of Strong World.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
As far as play in the West goes, Adult Swim, once upon a time, was doing double premieres of BLEACH, which I thought was a good way to not lose peoples interest by playing one episode a week for 8 years. But then, they would burn through canon material. It kind of doesn't make any sense to me why One Piece, as incredibly long as it is, is not in double premieres.

My guess is that Toonami doesn't have the room for it. They get 7 slots, one of which is used for rerums. They could theoretically get an 8th slot, as they had as many as 12 at one point though.

I'd guess they would prioritize Naruto for double premieres though, as Naruto's ratings are kicking One Piece's butt.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Fri May 06, 2016 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I might've misunderstood, but I think Kakashi's backstory arc was filler, but it was great.

I think it might've turned into filler due to where it was placed in the anime.

In the manga it was done immediately after the Sasuke Retrieval Arc. The anime of course didn't follow suit.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I might've misunderstood, but I think Kakashi's backstory arc was filler, but it was great.

I think it might've turned into filler due to where it was placed in the anime.

In the manga it was done immediately after the Sasuke Retrieval Arc. The anime of course didn't follow suit.

I think they're referring to the Kakashi Anbu arc (eps 349-361), which is the other (and longer) Kakashi backstory arc. It is indeed filler, but it's definitely anime-original content done right.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
You know, this is actually a valid complaint for me. It's not comparable to censorship because censorship is "cleansing" of content that general audiences may or may not find offensive. Filler is just there to do exactly that, keep the show going and continue to promote the franchise. They're on a weekly schedule, so they have to come up with something.

When a show is released on DVD in another country, there's really no reason to keep those useless timeslot-wasting episodes. Some filler can be good and help further the plot, but some can bring the show (Saint Seiya, Rurouni Kenshin) down. Many long running anime would have benefitted greatly from having those stupid filler eps chopped off when released on home video in the U.S., and the same goes for manga sometimes. (Fist of the North Star suffered from indifferent reception and canceled releases, likely due to the crawling pace, leading many to characterize it as "guy roams wastelands and kills motorcycle gangs" and not see beyond the piles of filler, even in the manga) DBZ of course is notorious --- if it weren't for Kai, some megafan with an eye for editing would have combed through the entire series and cut the hell out of it by now. You could spend at least a year giving it the works in the cutting room. FUNi of course didn't do this, so we got crap like HFIL that we didn't need --- now we know why I guess.

Naruto and One Piece...no comment. Someone somewhere is glad he or she doesn't have to cut filler and merge footage for those two.

All in all, fillers are expendeble trash most of the time, but if Japan goes all Miyazaki and says no cuts, guess that's the final word on the matter.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Like every thing there are some good filler episodes and some bad it really all depends on who's writing them, but I do agree that it can get pretty annoying if it happens too often like in Naruto where every other episode is filler just to keep the show going for as long as possible. Rolling Eyes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
(Fist of the North Star suffered from indifferent reception and canceled releases, likely due to the crawling pace, leading many to characterize it as "guy roams wastelands and kills motorcycle gangs" and not see beyond the piles of filler, even in the manga)

LOL to be pretty fair that pretty much sums up FOTN pretty appropriately even after the search for Yuria turns into a shoot the shaggy dog story that eventually leads to the other arcs after it.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
I find fillers usually pretty annoying and don't affect the plot much, which is my main issue with long-running series (particularly Naruto, which I dropped due to all those fillers). But business is about selling products to people, regardless of its quality, which is why most streaming services still have them on to avoid any relationship breakdowns. Then again, if one is not interested in those, they can simply skip them, no sweat.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
I heard when Wolf's Rain aired on US TV they didn't broadcast the 4 recap episode. And 4Kids removed filler arcs in One Piece.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:51 am Reply with quote
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around this question. Seriously, just because it's filler doesn't mean the episodes can't actually be enjoyable. I want the ability to decide for myself whether or not to skip certain episodes instead of having my viewing experience forcefully curated for me by someone who thinks they know what I want. Not to mention, there are others who might want to see those episodes and I'm not about to take those episodes away from them.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
DBZ Fillers (and the later episodes of one piece) are the worst kind of fillers.

They're the fillers you can't skip because they are ingrained in the very episode.
That's why I stopped watching One Piece, the Manga was going really slow for a time, so I was waiting a week to see barely any plot progression, but plenty of padding(each week Ussop would do something funny for 10 pages). Then watch an episode of the show, and the little amount of something happening I got in that chapter, has now even more padding alongside it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
I don't really watch a whole lot of shounen anymore, so I haven't been caught up in the worst of filler loops, but yeah, I imagine having to wait out the show past episodes and episodes of filler material might be a bit frustrating.

Regardless, I still have experienced some amount. Even my favorite show, Aria, has its share, but those filler arcs tended to flow a little easier into the show. Like the one where Akari crossed the bridge and found herself thrust into Aqua's past as a pioneering settlement -- never happened in the manga, but fit neatly in the show. Or when they embellished the hell out of things by having Akari delivering a letter being a part of an othewise short "introduce Woody" chapter.

If I've hated one filler episode, then that would be episode 5 of the first season of Natsume's Book of Friends, which is what happens when someone starts making broad assumptions about a character long before the manga had the chance to flesh her out some more. (As well as turning the yokai-of-the-episode into the most cartoonishly dingbatted representation they'd never make again.)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
So, I'm a very story-driven sort of person. Filler is disruptive to the canon story. At the very least, it bloats the storyline.

On the one hand, you have the kind of filler where they don't actually add anything non-canon, but instead streeeetch out the source material, which disrupts the natural flow of the story. This is what One Piece has been doing, and it's the worst sort of filler IMO because you cannot safely skip it -- it's canon material.

On the other hand, you have the kind of filler where they just make up stories based in the actual creator's universe: glorified fan-fic... studio-fic? The vast majority of these stories is bad, and also there is a reasonably good chance that the story itself will be retconned due to the actual creator later writing something that contradicts the events of the filler-story.

I hate them both.

Ideally, there would be some way to automatically skip filler. But since that isn't going to happen...

1. I'd like for filler to be marked as filler. You don't have to make it some sort of massive label, but some sort of indicator that "this episode" or "this block of episodes" is filler would be nice, especially when it comes to buying anime.

2. Try, if at all possible, to contain filler in blocks you can buy or not buy at once. The whole deal where there is a package that contains 1 canon episode and 12 filler episodes is pretty horrible: you're paying full price for basically one episode's worth of material (I nearly always skip filler when I recognize it).
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, the picture used for this article is from probably the best filler Naruto episode ever. It was super funny and cool.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Ideally, there would be some way to automatically skip filler. But since that isn't going to happen...

1. I'd like for filler to be marked as filler. You don't have to make it some sort of massive label, but some sort of indicator that "this episode" or "this block of episodes" is filler would be nice, especially when it comes to buying anime.

2. Try, if at all possible, to contain filler in blocks you can buy or not buy at once. The whole deal where there is a package that contains 1 canon episode and 12 filler episodes is pretty horrible: you're paying full price for basically one episode's worth of material (I nearly always skip filler when I recognize it).

Not going to happen though, because doing so will create lower sales. People unfamiliar with the source material (usually the manga, but it can be other media too) might not even know it's filler, unless it's REALLY obvious like with Bleach. I didn't know what filler was in Dragon Ball Z until I read the manga many years later.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched as much super-longrunning shounen as some have, but I know I would've been mad if they'd left the Rainbow Crystal arc out of the releases of the first Sailor moon anime's first season.

Gina Czanboti wrote:
Also, for what it's worth, I wish people would agree on terms here so they can just use one word instead of having to describe what they're talking about every time. Can we define filler as non-canon material (see Naruto) and padding as the term for stretching out material, canon or otherwise, to slow down the pace (see most long running Toei series) with recaps, flashbacks to previously aired material, and animation stalling tactics?
I've seen even worse definition drift out there. Some use "filler" as a term for "any material I feel to be insufficiently fast-paced and/or exciting, whether or not it's canon."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5