• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Air Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe anime

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Yes sir cant wait! Im guessing it starts a week after dimension W finishes then.

No,it won't air the week after Dimension W finishes.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Sunrises efforts to grow Gundam outside of Japan again starting to pay off. Their parent company Bandai is really throwing their weight around outside of Japan again for the first time in years with initiatives like Daisuki and just what they are doing with their gaming division and merchandising machine period. They really need to not make the same mistakes they made back in the early 2000's with just that typical Japanese corporate stubborness. I mean Toonami tried to tell them forcing them to air a show with 30 year old animation first just because it's the iconic first series in Japan wasn't going to work and surprise it didn't. It's been long enough since that debacle that they might have a valid second chance now even if it never quite reaches the apex it did with Wing.

Funny thing is in the United States Gundam seems to have a really low profile, but it's always kind of been popular her in Canada. I never really understood why that was considering we never got nearly as much of it on TV here. Just Wing then a huge gap, then Seed. By the way all this talk about Thunderbolt, given the severity of it's content I don't think it makes broadcast code on Toonami. Hell I don't think it even makes broadcast code in Japan considering it's an OVA.

SilverCrono wrote:
Lmao so is this a Gamefaqs board now? I've never seen such trolling on ANN boards before.

I've noticed ANN always seem to go positively batshit whenever the topic is Gundam so I'm not even surprised that yet again what should be good or at least interesting news for Gundam fans just results in a total bitch fit and people flinging shit at each other like manchildren. No idea why, but ANN seems to have a surplus of /m/ posters that come here and get really bent out of shape or something. I mean it basically reads like one of their whinefests. Arguably /m/ is one of the chief things holding back the Gundam fandom in English speaking territories since they see their meltdowns and just constant unending frothing rage and possibly even make the mistake of taking /m/ seriously as an authority on mecha and Gundam anime and reach the conclusion that they don't want to be a part of any of this that's all basically surrounding some universally "awful" anime franchise.

I almost can't blame them, I just wish Gundam had better fan representation than.....this, but then I can say that for a ton of big anime franchises. Confused

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Thu May 12, 2016 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
nagpo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well that's disappointing. Out of all the gundam series available they just had to pick this snooze fest. Then again, I guess with Toonami they care more about ratings than quality programming.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Why don't they just show gundam seed and gundam seed destiny instead there all done and dubbed and have never bin shown on adult swim as fare as I know.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's cool for Gundam to make a return to Toonami, but I couldn't make it past episode 2 of this series. It felt like it was trying too hard to convince me that I should take it seriously, but instead came across as melodramatic. Some of the pandering undertones didn't quite help either. Gundam Unicorn would have been a better choice I think.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
It's nice to see Sunrises efforts to grow Gundam outside of Japan again starting to pay off. Their parent company Bandai is really throwing their weight around outside of Japan again for the first time in years with initiatives like Daisuki and just what they are doing with their gaming division and merchandising machine period. They really need to not make the same mistakes they made back in the early 2000's with just that typical Japanese corporate stubborness. I mean Toonami tried to tell them forcing them to air a show with 30 year old animation first just because it's the iconic first series in Japan wasn't going to work and surprise it didn't. It's been long enough since that debacle that they might have a valid second chance now even if it never quite reaches the apex it did with Wing.

Funny thing is in the United States Gundam seems to have a really low profile, but it's always kind of been popular her in Canada. I never really understood why that was considering we never got nearly as much of it on TV here. Just Wing then a huge gap, then Seed. By the way all this talk about Thunderbolt, given the severity of it's content I don't think it makes broadcast code on Toonami. Hell I don't think it even makes broadcast code in Japan considering it's an OVA.

I think it because Seed was much more relatable to the demographic than Wing, not to mention handled better than in the States (aired uncut and sandwiched around Inuyasha and FMA). Still it's still a question why G Gundam and 00 never got broadcasted.

Are those kids still bickering? And people wonder why Gundam fans have such a nasty reputation.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
They should just hurry up and release a blu ray. I don't much feel like waiting until october and then watching one damn episode every week.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually kinda excited. While it was filled with drama, and it took them practically the entire series to set foot on Earth, I liked IBO. I'm happy it's going on Toonami, and I'll probably watch for the sake of Gundam being on television again.

Quote:
Gundam Unicorn would have been a better choice I think.

With Unicorn probably being my favorite Gundam series to date, I'd have to agree. Since it's re-airing in Japan in a recut format, I wonder if that could somehow be transfered here. The current length of the episodes probably wouldn't work time-wise.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a Gundam fan, but this series actually sounds interesting to me. Glad it's going to be on Toonami. I'll watch at least the first few episodes. Hopefully i'll like it.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I think I'll pass on this. This had to be the worst gundam series I've ever seen.

Clearly you've never watched Gundam SEED Destiny before. Razz

But my question is, will the promo feature the famous "Suit Up" tagline, or at least a variation of it?

And whoever's prolonging the quote chain, please stop. Confused
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll be interested in seeing if this is another 00 for Canada where it skips Canada entirely, although this wouldn't function as CanCon. Still curious at how JYB does considering I don't see him as Orga.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well then, this thread looks so much better after I removed half of it. Gotta say 7 reports from 6 individual users in regards to one topic not even 4 pages long is a new record I think.

Leonard.lim.944023 and dark13 you can both stop this childish little angsty squabble. "Don't start a war if you ain't ready" ...really? Are we back in middle school now? I didn't realize this was x-box live suddenly. The sheer amount of trollish comments and MASSIVE amounts of excessive quoting are not going to fly here. I suggest you both move on from this topic entirely and go cool off.

You're newer leonard.lim and haven't been warned before so consider this your first warning. I would suggest you read the rules here because massive amounts of excessive quoting and trollish flame wars are not welcome here. Next time a user is being rude to you simply report them and move on.

As for you dark, you were already on moderation for this same behavior once already. You've also had posts edited since you got off moderation. So consider this your one and only official warning to not keep repeating the same behavior. otherwise you'll wind up right back on moderation. This time though it will be for a longer period of time.

Thank you

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Thu May 12, 2016 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the best AU Gundam. Unlike SEED, I really hope this does well.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Who's licence is it? Is Sunrise is distributing it them selves?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
It's cool for Gundam to make a return to Toonami, but I couldn't make it past episode 2 of this series. It felt like it was trying too hard to convince me that I should take it seriously, but instead came across as melodramatic. Some of the pandering undertones didn't quite help either. Gundam Unicorn would have been a better choice I think.

You do realize the Unicorn would require Toonami viewers to watch 0079, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack for it to make sense. Universal Century just won't work on Adult Swim.

Gundam IBO appeals to the same demographic as Wing did. Also like Wing, you don't need to see any previous Gundam anime, which most Toonami viewers have never seen one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7