• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Air Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well its good that there getting gundam but Build Fighter would of been better

Not in this time slot.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Loved this show. Mika is now one of my favorite Gundam MCs. While he's not the brightest of people, and he most certainly has some form of PTSD, he gets stuff done. Doesn't mope, doesn't hesitate to kill the enemy, doesn't waste time with big speeches. It does seem that all he does is follow what Orga tells him, but that's not quite it, as you'll see by the end of the season. Also, Atra tops my female Gundam characters top. Girl is REALLY though both in body and in mind. Anyone who can shrug off a beating like that deserves respect.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

You're newer leonard.lim and haven't been warned before so consider this your first warning. I would suggest you read the rules here because massive amounts of excessive quoting and trollish flame wars are not welcome here. Next time a user is being rude to you simply report them and move on.

As for you dark, you were already on moderation for this same behavior once already. You've also had posts edited since you got off moderation. So consider this your one and only official warning to not keep repeating the same behavior. otherwise you'll wind up right back on moderation. This time though it will be for a longer period of time.

Thank you
WTF what the hell did I do ? I don't Pick fights for no reason All i did was state My Opinion I love Gundam so Why Can't I defend something I love ? You should see who started this. ( with his Clear bait)

@Alabaster Spectrum My apologies I wasn't trying to ruin the Gundam fandom, I really like what they did with IBO, I understand People have their opinion,But that Individual Try to pass his Hate as it was some form Of fact and I didn't like it, I never see that type of shit in other Gundam Threads Like Gundam forum, Where everyone has Good Opinion for Example I don't like Turn A But I really understand why people love Turn A its good for what its doing Its Opinions like that, I respect Not Childish ones that give the Fandom a bad name.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
LightningShadow55 wrote:
Why don't they just show gundam seed and gundam seed destiny instead there all done and dubbed and have never bin shown on adult swim as fare as I know.

SEED was aired in that weird funny spot in between Saturday evening Toonami and [adult swim]. In my time zone, it was on at 10 or 10:30 (Saturday Toonami ended at 10, [adult swim] started at 11). But they didn't air SEED Destiny, to my knowledge.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Still it's still a question why G Gundam and 00 never got broadcasted.

G Gundam aired on Toonami after Wing's run ended. 00 and 00s2 both aired on SyFy's Ani-Mondays (although they cut the endings, and therefore cut the scenes during the endings).
prtorpedo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Those are not new enough and Japan likes them instead of English speaking anime fans. At least among model builders, G-Reco is liked more than IBO, but that's Japan, not North America and UK.

>A survey of 500 people

Yeah no you're going to need a bigger sample than that buddy.

Not necessarily, it depends more on the size of the target population, which I'm not sure what it is for Gunpla builders in Japan. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean this survey is reliable, or at least I wouldn't be able to tell since I can't read Japanese and determine the methodology used.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
did they say if IBO would take Dimension W Time slot ? or is that not confirmed yet ?

spoiler[sorry to anyone in advance if my argument with that guy bothered you]

Last edited by dark13 on Thu May 12, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Still it's still a question why G Gundam and 00 never got broadcasted.

G Gundam aired on Toonami after Wing's run ended. 00 and 00s2 both aired on SyFy's Ani-Mondays (although they cut the endings, and therefore cut the scenes during the endings).

In Canada.

Those two never ran there, the latter being super peculiar since it seemed almost guaranteed to. Anyways, Cosmic Era Gundam was quite significant in Canada, arguably more than Wing was, and that was a pretty big deal.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

what the hell did I do ? I don't Pick fights for no reason All i did was state My Opinion I love Gundam so Why Can't I defend something I love ? You should see who started this. ( with his Clear bait).

You seriously are asking that? What did you do? How about more than a half dozen ignorant and trollish posts. All of them with massive excessive quoting and enough rudeness to choke a bull. You more than willingly got into a childish & trollish flame war with another user. You even just admitted you got into a "fight" with the other user. That's what you did. The same behavior you've been warned about before countless times. Just as you've been told countless times to REPORT users for their own rude behavior and not respond as you did. Might be an old saying but 2 wrongs don't make a right. So don't even try and pretend you're innocent or oblivious to what you did. There is a vast difference between supporting your views on something and defending an opinion civilly and the childish back and forth you had with leonard.lim. You should also see I clearly warned them as well.

As I stated though this is their first offense so they simply got a first warning. If they choose to ignore it we'll deal with that. You however have been warned countless times to follow the rules and were moderated for this same behavior before. You have shown a clear inability to improve your posting habits here and discuss topics civilly with other users. On top of that almost every time you're warned about your behavior you act like you're the victim and have done nothing wrong. Like right now. That's not going to work. You know we expect you to post civilly and follow the rules so either you can do it or you can choose not to. Now it's time to move on.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
did they say if IBO would take Dimension W Time slot ? or is that not confirmed yet ?

spoiler[sorry to anyone in advance if my argument with that guy bothered you]

No,they haven't said when IBO will start airing.
dark13

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much. Smile
whitesox123

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I think I'll pass on this. This had to be the worst gundam series I've ever seen.
That it actually has a MC that is willing to kill, a serious plot focusing on semi realistic problems, or a well developed cast of characters? Please tell me how its the worst.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
From an overhead perspective, IBO makes the most sense. IBO is the newest series, so there is a larger potential audience, and there was likely an easier time selling the show to Toonami than anything Gundam that isn't re-upping their old deals for Wing or Seed.

Nothing Universal Century is likely to make much sense if they don't start from the beginning since there isn't a particularly large audience watching Toonami that are immersed in the UC stories to make sense of why anything in Unicorn. Heck, people forget that they did run original Gundam briefly (think it was during a robot week) in the old 90s days of Toonami and it didn't gain traction then either. Purists like to go back to UC as often as they can, which is why they continually keep rehashing the UC story, But outside that staunch fanbase, UC has been done to death and has become a sprawling monster - as daunting to jump into as trying to tackle something like Naruto or One Piece now after not having paid attention for years. From a commercial perspective, anything UC is dead in the states unless the outlet is willing to devote a ton of energy and money on promoting it.

Build Fighters isn't really a good fit with Toonami, per se. It could probably work, but again, it's a series that works primarily on two levels - driving the toy angle, and the nostalgia and inside jokes for longtime fans of the franchise. To a lesser degree than UC you still need to be relatively immersed in Gundam or else it becomes somewhat difficult to get into. You're meant, I believe, to care more about the awe of the combinations of classic suits from Gundam past, the match-up of rivalries and friendships to their allegorical origination in a past series, than anything else. Absent knowledge of those things, a lot of the inclination to view the show is lost.

Due to its age and the fact that it wasn't a particularly successful show that already had a run in North America, Toonami had little reason to chase after it. AGE did quite poorly in Japan, so again, nothing there would suggest there would be any reason to pursue it.

Meanwhile, IBO is newer (despite the repackaging of Unicorn running right now), and has the benefit of a new season coming out in the final quarter of the year, while will give them a chance to cross-promote what is liable to be a DVD/Blu-ray release around the Fall as well. If Toonami was going to go for anything Gundam right now, IBO made the most logical sense.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Eh... I never had an interest in Gundam (mecha anime just isn't my thing), but I'm sure I'll end up watching this one way or another. If anything it'll be because there's nothing else on TV and it'll be on before I can watch what I actually have interest in seeing. Razz
dark13

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
whitesox123 wrote:
pajmo9 wrote:
I think I'll pass on this. This had to be the worst gundam series I've ever seen.
That it actually has a MC that is willing to kill, a serious plot focusing on semi realistic problems, or a well developed cast of characters? Please tell me how its the worst.
What I like about Ironblooded Orphans is how the them and story Kinda reminds me of Metal Gear solid V ( I would't be shocked if Sunrise got Ideas from that ) Mikazuki is a lot like Big boss and Orga lot like Kaz and Biscuit reminds me of Ocelot spoiler[before the whole Liquid Snake stuff happens ]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Funny thing is in the United States Gundam seems to have a really low profile, but it's always kind of been popular her in Canada. I never really understood why that was considering we never got nearly as much of it on TV here. Just Wing then a huge gap, then Seed. By the way all this talk about Thunderbolt, given the severity of it's content I don't think it makes broadcast code on Toonami. Hell I don't think it even makes broadcast code in Japan considering it's an OVA.

I remember Gundam Wing was genuinely popular in the United States, and it was talked about all over the school when it was on. You even had commercials for the models on broadcast TV, and Toys R Us and FAO Schwartz and such were selling them. Then, they showed Mobile Suit Gundam, and people kind of tuned out at that point. Discussion on all things Gundam just petered out as it aired.

Maybe it's because you Canadians never got Mobile Suit Gundam to kill interest.

Mawdryn wrote:
I definitely never thought we'd see Gundam on Toonami again. Heck, I never thought we'd see Gundam on US television again period.

Same here. I was actually expecting the next series to be One Punch Man or My Hero Academia, though it'd be a bit early for the latter, frankly. I thought Sunrise and Bandai and whatever were done with all things Gundam in North America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7