• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I actually like how open Yui and Rena were to each other and the cabinet members about the situation. Normally these things would be kept a secret, and the challenge letter could have easily seen Yui going there by herself without telling anyone.

The mecha are cool in design and the battle was pretty neat, if a bit stilted at times. That said, what's the point of Yui even being there when Rena is the one in control? Looks like we might find out next week.

It is a pilot/co-pilot set up, Rena can technically control the mech form on her own BUT she is better off using her resources being management over whatever magi-tech the Regalia is running on, this would better explain how when Yui popped in the pilot seat of Ep one that the Regalia grew a hard-light arm besides "the power of Love".
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sure, but so far all we've seen Yui do is sit in the chair, not actually doing any piloting.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Sure, but so far all we've seen Yui do is sit in the chair, not actually doing any piloting.

All the mook regalia so far seemed to be direct cybernetic interfaces for the pilot, then again I am probably thinking too much on a series that is effectively a part of the super robot genre and ascribes more for the "rule of cool" than even thinking about setting things up "realistically"
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
episodes one and two

I may be alone in this, but I actually thought both episodes were really good so far. The 2nd episode held on to the vibe and pacing as best as it could when then the inevitable slow down came. I think the show really does a fantastic job of keeping scenes crisp and to the point, using lighting, music and framing to quickly establish tones. For how quickly and suddenly the show moves between scenes, they still manage to be resonant and coherent, and that's an accomplishment.

Also, the combat has yet to let me down. The fight at the end of episode two wasn't very long but it was even more interesting than the first. I like the idea that Rena, despite her diminutive human appearance, is a brute force fighter. If I give the show the benefit of the doubt here, I'd guess this is an implication that the she hasn't actually fought a lot in the past. The Regalia Gear may be meant for combat the original Regalia themselves, may not really be warriors of any sort and there's some other purpose for their existence. Of course, I could be way off base. They are giant robots after all.

I'm running with the wild assumption that at least one of the two girls we see camping and then devouring massive quantities of food at a restaurant is another Regalia.

FenixFiesta wrote:
All the mook regalia so far seemed to be direct cybernetic interfaces for the pilot, then again I am probably thinking too much on a series that is effectively a part of the super robot genre and ascribes more for the "rule of cool" than even thinking about setting things up "realistically"

You might be thinking too much, but then again the series does seem to have an eye for detail. I hold out hope that there will at least be a coherent explanation for how all the important elements work.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Considering episode 2 where Rena is in a bit of snafu, I'd imagine next episode is where we'll see Yui finally doing something. That last scene before the credits kind of alluded to that with that boy saying something like Yui needs to figure something out.

The only thing I find weird with this show is why we don't see Yui's bodyguards whenever she's outside. Also, is it just me or is the sound design during the giant robots scenes sounds muffled like someone's clanging two pieces of metal or suppressing an explosion close to a boom mic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I felt a little disappointed with the episode, which I think my problem started with the 3 sizes thing which really was not needed, especially with an answer that was not "excuse me, who do you think you are?". I don't usually have a problem with plot slowdowns along this way, but I think I felt that way. Not that I am not enjoying this, I am totally part of the niche audience for this sort of thing, only I think that it has given me bigger expectations.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
ep3
No doubt the show is trying to roll with the slice of life featuring "cute girls do cute things" and at the same time it is clashing against the mega mecha set up.

Such juxtaposition has worked out in a number of other series, the case of Regalia is that where the concepts are supposed to be a foil for the other content where usually it is "what are we fighting for?" with the answer of "these precious simple days", the issue is that because we have magitech machines apparently powered by Lovecraftian horror there is WAY too much glossed over to simply go into a "hey guys, let's have a bake sale!" type of scene.

I am going to keep watching as it still fills my personal tastes, but just as well this is one of the weaker examples of such genre blends.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
^
I actually think the genre blend is working pretty well. There's an oddness about the way the slice of life moments are portrayed that makes it work. That lurking Lovecraftian element doesn't ever fully go away. Even in warmer moments the music stays relatively serious and textured, the cuts and angles are often still sharp and the lighting and coloring remain mostly shadowy and subdued. The only fully slice life style moments came when it was just Yui interacting with people for the festival. Whenever one of the Regalia got involved, things took a grimmer tint despite the situation. These scenes were interspersed with Yui's more carefree scenes, providing a contrast. By the end of the episode drew on the sun set on Yui as well, and she rejoined Rena in darker places. The characters are clearly trying to forget the horrors displayed in the action sequences, but the show isn't.

Commentary on the slice of life elements aside, the combat sequences continue to vivid and fluid. I think I'd like this show even if I wasn't sold on its slice of life elements.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Although I don't think the show has been the clearest with its themes, I am finding my interest kept with Rena. All that dark stuff like her losing control and assumedly facing her own dark side. All while we have scenes of her just going around, that she is being played as more than a cute little girl character. Kind of like that moment of where we saw those two sisters with the older sister comforting the younger one from crying, terribly cliché, but that the relationship is Rena as the older sister.

So I am interested with her Lovecraftian like monster robot side put against her otherwise appearance.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
While I understand the value of Yui being there as emotional support, it's still disappointing that she's still not doing any actual piloting. Last episode ended with the suggestion that Yui was going to have to figure a way out of the box, but then they get out because Rena punched it really hard.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
The anime feels like two separate things at times. We've got whatever's going with Rena and the Alecto, then it kinda forgets about that and switches to the girls hanging out.

Anyway, Johann sacrificed that guy to trigger something in the Alecto, not really clear what he's trying to achieve so far. The corruption of Rena and the Alecto was very freaky, lots of eyes, kinda blood-like liquid and dark energy.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope Yui tells her country the truth (or some portion of it). If she said "Some jerks are trying to take my sister away" I have no doubt everyone would support her 100%.

Guess we'll have to wait a month, though. I suppose I can see why the staff aren't happy with it, but it's far from terrible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Guess we'll have to wait a month, though. I suppose I can see why the staff aren't happy with it, but it's far from terrible.

A delay? Didn't see that news, it is curious news. While I don't think it is the best quality, it has not so far seemed to be the level to postpone it. It kind of felt like with this episode that things were picking up, at much as a bad sign that is, it kind of feels like a sign quality might improve.

Rena did appear pretty reckless in the episode, something that seemed to be the point.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
Yes, we're getting a delay. Next week, it will be airing Tari Tari (re-runs) instead for at least a month before the show returns but even then, it goes back to the first episode for this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I hope Yui tells her country the truth (or some portion of it). If she said "Some jerks are trying to take my sister away" I have no doubt everyone would support her 100%.

There were a lot of inbetween quality shots, especially when one takes the time to eyeball for them, even the fight for todays episode simply looked "passable" at best.

I was still entertained, yet I can understand if the studio is sweatin bullets if they feel the show should "look better".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4