• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emily Neves Stars as Ange in Cross Ange English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I think Tusk is voiced by Austin Tindle. Sounds way familiar
Nyron

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I am curious as to what your definition of C-tier actors are?

Probably anyone that's not a Japanese Seiyuu.

No

All the VAs listed for this show... have no major roles in any show more than 20 people watched
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
All of these have sounded really bad tbh
Who are these C-tier actors?
Generic voices that barely match character and mediocre acting

Honestly none of the actors besides Ange's mattered anyway, but now Ange's sucks too. She needed someone to match her personality but she just sounds like "some girl". Even Michelle Ruff would've been better.

Calling it c-list give for record cross ange dub cast is texas voice roster casting plus also sentai voice people.

Looking at sentai dub history give mix of well known such as luci, rial, karb, etc yet also give fresh batches of new voices to develop that became well known such as neves, french, searcy, mcdonald, simmons sisters, etc & even return comeback such as kvd & calvello.

Besides just wait till full cast list & dub itself before you think of saying c-list on it?!
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
All the VAs listed for this show... have no major roles in any show more than 20 people watched

Kira Vincent-Davis and Emily Neves had fairly large supporting roles in Akame ga Kill. Brittney Karbowski was one of the leads of Parasyte and also had minor roles in Akame ga Kill and Attack on Titan. Austin Tindle had a moderate supporting role in Attack on Titan. All of those shows consistently pulled over a million viewers on Adult Swim. A million is far greater than twenty.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Seems good, a bit younger than I thought. But she is around 16 in the show so it reflects that while still showing her confidence in the performance after the first few episodes.

Surprised Austin Tindle was Tusk since I assumed he was too comfy at Funimation's studio. Though maybe Emily Neves or some other Houston VA that went to do Funimation dubs recommended it to him. Though Chris Ayres does have strange ways of getting people in. Supposedly according to Greg Ayres, Chris auditioned Tia Ballard through the telephone because he wanted a younger monica rial like actress in Little Busters.

Seemed a little predictable in delivery, but just from the clip maybe he has more range in the rest of the show.

I only had 1 spot on cast choice in this, Britney's Vivian. The rest seems pretty neat. I though either Jessica Boone or Geneive Simmons for Ange or Hilda. And now with Emily Neves as a MC finally after so long, I might pre order this now.

Nyron wrote:

Every other studio has their share of generic voices and mediocre acting. The question is what is your reasoning and examples? Just because an actor can make a loud cartoony voice or fit 90% of the characters animation, it can still be mediocre or even a bad delivery. Like being the same performance in other roles or being one note with tone or character (Trina Nishimura, Steve Blum), not representing a certain trait properly in the script (Sonny Strait, Justin Cook) or be a fault with the director. Even the lil LA one that you seem to put on a condescending pedestal. She has the innocent cutie and the sexy lady voice, Monical Rial much? But even Monica has her stand out moments along with Michelle. And so do Sentai's Huston pool that have a stage/film style of acting (loud/down to earth performances)

Quote:

Honestly none of the actors besides Ange's mattered anyway, but now Ange's sucks too. She needed someone to match her personality but she just sounds like "some girl". Even Michelle Ruff would've been better.

Yes they do when nearly each and every character had a legitimate arc and development. Ange is literally just, "some girl." When exiled and having her princesshood taken away from her. She has to learn to survive on her own. But she also develops in having to trust people again to try a strike a balance between a strong soldier and natural women. And Emily Neves fit the first part well to a T.

Quote:

No

Being in major roles on shows majority of people have watched does not equate quality, signs of a good dub or a pecking order for actors/actresses.

Your arguments is C-Tier at best
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
All of these have sounded really bad tbh

Welcome to the not-so-wonderful world of Sentai Filmworks.

I am also in the party that believes that's Corey Hartzog as Tusk.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I am also in the party that believes that's Corey Hartzog as Tusk.

Welcome to the party of two then since you and I are the only ones who believe this to be the case.

Also, never really subscribed to the notion that level of fame through one's credentials as being equal to one's talent.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Very awesome cast overall! Smile Can't wait to watch Cross Ange, even while knowing that some moments of it aren't for the faint of heart.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:

LOL. You ought to check the encyclopedia before you come across as totally clueless:

Emily Neves - Ange over 90 roles!
Britney Karbowski - Vivian cast in more than 250 anime titles!
Kira Vincent-Davis - Salia over 140 appearances to her name!
Carli Moiser - Hilda must be a newbie just over 120.
Austin Tindle - Tusk what a loser only 90+ acting jobs in anime, including EVA Noragami, Assassination Classroom and FMA. Nobody saw any of those sure.

Yeah none of them were the lead actor in all of the anime they appeared in. I guess we all can't be Tom Cruise. But each of them have had significant impact and nobody here has any idea what you are talking about.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Surprised Austin Tindle was Tusk since I assumed he was too comfy at Funimation's studio.

He tweeted about being in a Sentai dub a few months back.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Why did they have to drag out this cast list piecemeal for what felt like a month? Cross Ange isn't good, it's kind of dumb; is it projected to be some kind of next big hit or something?

I'm wondering the same thing. While it was successful enough to get a game based on it, I was under the impression this series wasn't some big hit, at least in the west. There wasn't a whole lot of discussion around it when it aired and it seems like it's pretty much just another anime nowadays, but Sentai is treating it like it's the next Attack on Titan. Did I miss something?
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
bs3311 wrote:
Surprised Austin Tindle was Tusk since I assumed he was too comfy at Funimation's studio.

He tweeted about being in a Sentai dub a few months back.

#brokemysentaicherry

Also for those who are saying they aren't in any highly known profile roles....Azumanga Daioh, Black Bullet, Attack on Titan, Clannad, Fairy Tail, Parasyte, Canaan, Elfen Lied, Shakugan no Shana, Future Diary, and Watamote say hi.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Emily Neves is a great choice for the role of Ange and I can't wait to watch her performance in the Cross Ange dub. Very Happy
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Why did they have to drag out this cast list piecemeal for what felt like a month? Cross Ange isn't good, it's kind of dumb; is it projected to be some kind of next big hit or something?

I'm wondering the same thing. While it was successful enough to get a game based on it, I was under the impression this series wasn't some big hit, at least in the west. There wasn't a whole lot of discussion around it when it aired and it seems like it's pretty much just another anime nowadays, but Sentai is treating it like it's the next Attack on Titan. Did I miss something?

Well, they aren't exactly dubbing that many exciting shows at the moment (that we know of) that are coming out this soon. Several Sentai products tend to get sent a whole month early, so Cross Ange will be getting into people hands really soon if it does get sent to retailers early. The next dubbed shows won't be coming out till August (or July, depending on shipments to retailers...).

Perhaps we'll see some Trinity Seven (not personally interested) or When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace (somewhat interested) videos near the end of June.
macattack

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I am curious as to what your definition of C-tier actors are?

Unless they meant C-list voice actors, most notable VAs aren't even H-list celebrities.

Cross Ange did make a lot of waves on the Internet when it came out so maybe they are expecting it to sell well.

Or maybe it's going to air on Toonami once Samurai Champloo closes up shop. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3