• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mysterious Girlfriend X GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the anime for this series, though I never really felt our main characters were a couple during it.

Have read a bit about what readers have said about the series, and it seems like there are some weak arcs in the series. I do hope ANN will do more reviews for this series, as I'd like to know more about story arcs that weren't covered in the anime, before I decide to start buying the manga for myself.

And, knowing the very mixed reaction to the ending...makes me really want to wait. Laughing
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
Though the big issues for me right now would be that it is omnibus. I have some in my collection and it is hard to read for me at times. Don't know maybe I am spoiled by smaller sizes but with the bigger books, they are harder to hold. Anyone got a jist of how big this books is.

It is normal manga size in height and length. It is about an inch and a half thick.

Growing up with comic books and Dark Horses comic sized manga, I have always hated the small size of today's manga. I understand the practical and cost issues for this, but it is like watching a blockbuster movie on a smart phone.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
@Blackwolf0925

This is a two volume omnibus. As such, I find it to be manageable to read. It is neither too heavy or bulky. Your results may vary though.

@TarsTarkas

The covers are based on the same graphics that Crunchyroll used in their online version. The front cover is similar (but not identical) to the first volume cover and the back cover of the Vertical edition is similar to the second volume from Crunchyroll. They are probably based on the graphics used in Japan for volumes one & two.

The paper is a bit more off white than usual. I'm not sure that is a difference in quality or simply an esthetic choice.

I know what you mean about size for manga, but really it was mostly Dark Horse and CPM that used the larger size, and that was only for a few years. The current two sizes of manga volumes we have now are comparable to those used in Japan. For a lot of titles they are actually larger than the Japanese version. The only time the Japanese get to see manga comparable to our comic book size is in the original anthology magazines. Those offer really low quality paper and printing intended to be discarded.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
I really loved the manga at first. The dream sequences were great (in the anime IIRC they had some carnival music), I liked the style of the art and the drool was just hilarious. I really liked how using her finger managed to be both intimate, but also keep him at arms length. It was both erotic, but chaste. The emotional and physical fumbling about was done pretty well. However, it felt like the author wasn't quite sure what to do with the story. I thought it fell into a hokey rut and some of the best parts were forgotten forcing me to drop it. I'll be keeping an eye out for more reviews on the series and see if it managed to get past its weaknesses, because it was a strong start and if got better later I wouldn't be adverse to picking up this release.

The funny thing is that while the drool didn't bother me at all in the manga, in the anime it became a bit of an impediment to my enjoyment. I felt that the anime went out of its way to make it look like some gross oily phlegm like substance that resulted in ewww! Laughing However, I do recall thinking that Urabe's voice actress sounded pretty cool.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
However, I do recall thinking that Urabe's voice actress sounded pretty cool.

If you're talking about the Japanese version and not the (pretty good) dub, it's one of those cases where the producers got a J-Dorama actress, Ayako Yoshitani, for a relatively naturalistic voice performance as Mikoto Urabe. Although Ayako Yoshitani's voice acting as Urabe was fantastic, she doesn't have the typical voice training that a regular female seiyuu gets, and, as such, Urabe doesn't have any high-pitched squealing moments (probably for the better as it doesn't suit Urabe's character). I think even foreigners who haven't studied any Japanese can hear a clear difference between Urabe and pretty much any other female character on the show.

Summer Wars is another example of an anime where they used non-seiyuu actresses for some of the female roles for a more natural sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
However, I do recall thinking that Urabe's voice actress sounded pretty cool.

If you're talking about the Japanese version and not the (pretty good) dub, it's one of those cases where the producers got a J-Dorama actress, Ayako Yoshitani, for a relatively naturalistic voice performance as Mikoto Urabe.

Yeap that's what I'm talking about. Her voice and acting was very refreshing to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2