• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Manga Gets Live-Action Film in Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I heard (I think from a Crunchyroll article?) that this was going to do a third version of the story (so there's the manga/Brotherhood, 2003 anime, and now this). That sounds interesting.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
This is laughable, I'm wondering when these Japanese movie studios and Japanese actors will stop embarrassing them selves for making awful live action adaptation that they can't possibly make.

When American movie studios stop embarrassing themselves doing the same thing......which will be never.
Alcest

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
"Yet another whitewashing movie, this is racist and untolerable!" Said all Californian social justice warriors.
"Yet another yellowashing movie, this is racist and intolerable!" Said nobody ever.
Nice double standard.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
This is laughable, I'm wondering when these Japanese movie studios and Japanese actors will stop embarrassing them selves for making awful live action adaptation that they can't possibly make.

= Judged an entire country's filming industry as if he seen them all
= Thought that the Japanese filmakers can't possibly make decent live action when there's a lot already but I would not give examples.
= Worse of all, trying to judged a work in progress without seeing anything yet as a confirmed wreck.

So what? You think you could do a better job? This is the problem with the people that isn't particularly involved in something they don't know about. Your post is laughable and an embarassment.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
A live action? With the director and CGI, I could see Hollywood really making this work. But not so much with the Japanese film industry. Not bad, but not great either.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This could be great or it could be total garbage. I'm interested to see how they'll portray Alphonse and how the alchemy works.

Betting they will be both CGI. Though I worry on the quality of the CGI that would be used.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:
"Yet another whitewashing movie, this is racist and untolerable!" Said all Californian social justice warriors.
"Yet another yellowashing movie, this is racist and intolerable!" Said nobody ever.
Nice double standard.

Interesting that you seem to be making a point about racism, and yet casually use the word "yellow" which is a deragotory term. Also, Japan has only Japanese actors on hand, which gives them somewhat of an excuse, while the racially-diverse America has plenty of Asian actors but Hollywood seems to go out of its way to not use them. Whether or not one thinks it's right, that's the difference.

Anyway, this seems interesting to me, especially as someone who defends the Attack on TItan movies (don't care what anyone says, they're awesome!) and thought the Japanese reinterpretation of the characters worked in its own way. Either way I'm willing to wait and see how this develops or even when the trailer comes out. It may suck, but it's just as likely it might kick ass on its own. I think the bigger question is, how are they going to condense the original epic storyline into that of a single movie? Or are they planning a second in case the first does well enough? Wait and see regardless.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Mon May 23, 2016 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
OH GOD. OH GOD NO. PLEASE DON'T BE A REPEAT OF LIVE ACTION ATTACK ON TITAN
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

So what? You think you could do a better job? This is the problem with the people that isn't particularly involved in something they don't know about. Your post is laughable and an embarassment.

LOLOLOL Yeah, I bet everyone who comments here are Film Directors, what are the chances ?

So what are the great sci-fi action anime/manga adaptation movies are you talking about ? Can you recommend me some?
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

When American movie studios stop embarrassing themselves doing the same thing......which will be never.

At least American movies are 20 times better with better acting with REAL actors.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
That's one way to solve the FMA-Brotherhood question- offer up a third adaptation that's clearly the worst. No, I'm prejudging, it's very simple to make a two hour story out of this.

Take out everything.

I can see it now. CGI alchemy, CGI homunculus, CGI... Alphonse? Don't worry, he's gone by act one.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So the news FINALLY makes it to ANN.

I'm as unexcited about this as everyone else, but I'm curious to see how this will turn out.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So they're using an all Asian cast for a story set in a Europe-esk location. Am I the only one that sees a problem with this? If the last airbender is wrong for white washing a cast of characters set in an Asian-esk location, then why is it ok for a Europe-esk show to yellow wash the cast?
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope they just glue wheels to a statue of Al and have somebody pull it on a string from off-screen.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Quote:
Sori also said he could not yet reveal details on how Alphonse will be presented in the film, but is confident fans will be satisfied.

I want a sexy-leg lamp.
You do know that's the name of a writing test. In a writer's work, if you can replace a character with a sexy leg, that writer is a hack.
Pangea

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Japan does not have enough funds to make action movies with alot of CGI. They're not supported by the likes of Sony and so on. They should stick to drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4