• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
I gave the Bodacious Space Pirates tv series a shot, but I honestly couldn't get into it. Too many scenes of girls chanting elongated "Haiiiiii!"s or "Ehhhh?!"s, and it seemed like the plot wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere. Weirdly, especially given the title, it really seemed like that show was intended to be seen by middle school girls. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but not what i expected.

I really ought to get around to sending pics of my own shelves in, i just keep forgetting about it until it's too late Razz
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
I really liked the TV series for Bodacious Space Pirates, but I personally thought the movie was meh. It was partly that the new character seemed to have more of a focus than anyone else, but partly the sense of adventure from the TV series felt gone. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than that. I was pretty disappointed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review of Abyss of Hyperspace; it was helpful. I generally liked the tv series, but I feel that something was missing. But I am hoping that this movie rounds up my experience with the franchise.

And nice shelves, with a lot of special editions.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I would only give the movie a rental. For the TV series, having so many supporting characters was manageable. For the movie, there were just too many, especially Marika's schoolmates. Many of the girls are given throw-away lines to justify them being in the movie. The movie would have been much better if it had limited the number of schoolmates to 5.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As titles go, I don't actually think Bodacious Space Pirates is all that bad. It'd be a great name for a B-grade sci-fi movie full of cheesy one-liners and delightfully cheap special effects. It was, however, a less than fitting title for an anime series that never really included the kind of campy fanservice you'd expect from the word “bodacious.” While this movie departs from the series a little by having a subtitle that's actually relevant to its content, it does still follow the franchise's usual formula of offering an oddly refreshing take on science fiction.

If you're going to go on about how the title doesn't make any sense, you should at least point out that the original title actually does make sense. 猛烈 (Mouretsu) doesn't mean anything even remotely close to Bodacious. It actually means something closer to 'vehement'. That doesn't seem like the best word for a title so I'm not saying they shouldn't have taken some liberty, but bodacious isn't even remotely close.

So no, the movie isn't a departure from the series in that the subtitle is relevant. The movie, like the series, it appropriately named. What is actually different is that the US release for the movie actually translated the original subtitle instead of just pulling a word out of their ass.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
@SilverTalon01

I am not sure if I am misunderstanding you, but I don't see how they (Sentai) pulled a word out of their asses when the Japanese logo for the tv series has the words Bodacious Space Pirates.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/mouretsupirates/images/5/53/Bodacious-Space-Pirates-1024x576.PNG/revision/20130531200025
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
猛烈 (Mouretsu) doesn't mean anything even remotely close to Bodacious. It actually means something closer to 'vehement'.

Well, actually...

Quote:
bodacious
[boh-dey-shuh s]
adjective
1. South Midland and Southern U.S. thorough; blatant; unmistakable:
a bodacious gossip.
2. Slang.
remarkable; outstanding:
a bodacious story.
audacious; bold or brazen.
sexy; voluptuous.

It's not incorrect exactly, we just tend to think of the 3rd definition. And the ones to blame here are not the US companies, but the Japanese companies who keep thinking that, for reasons I can't fathom, it's better for them to come up with their own English translations of the titles rather than leave it to the US licensors. It's how we keep getting shows with titles like "And You Thought There is Never A Girl Online?" (instead of "You Thought Your Net Game Wife Wasn't a Girl?") and for another example of choosing awkward slang with probably unintentional double meaning - "Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" (instead of "Is It Wrong to Try to Meet Girls in a Dungeon?")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I still gotta get Ranma set 5, 6, and 7 on DVD. I hope they don't go out of print...

Does anyone know if there are plans to release the OVA's?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The BSP Tv show didn't really do anything for me either, which is a shame because it's absolutely my type of show. But alas, I didn't really latch onto any character and it wasn't sucking me in. Oh well.

Awesome shelves, but is anyone else slightly miffed at keeping regular movies mixed in with anime? For example, Kill Bill is right next to Kill La Kill, I just find that really strange and somewhat wrong, lol
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Jensen review wrote:
It was, however, a less than fitting title for an anime series that never really included the kind of campy fanservice you'd expect from the word “bodacious.”

I thought I was the only one who felt like that. I enjoyed the anime well enough but I hate to admit it but I think it would have done better with fan service. I recall all these girls in zero-gee and short skirts and not a single panty-shot. The other thing they could have added was some romantic angle for the heroine. Maybe even a harem.

Normally I wouldn't look for these troops as a positive, but in this case the other problem with it is that the elaborate premise (staged entertainment piracy?) took all the edge off the action. I always felt something was missing in the story without known exactly what it was.

The characters were good, though. I'll give it that. I guess I'll have to check out the movie now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Awesome shelves, but is anyone else slightly miffed at keeping regular movies mixed in with anime? For example, Kill Bill is right next to Kill La Kill, I just find that really strange and somewhat wrong, lol

I have some live-action Hollywood movies in my shelves, but I like to keep them separated from the anime. I would not say it is wrong, but it would feel weird to have my regular movies and anime mixed.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
The Bodacious Space Pirates movie isn't as good as the series, but it's a lot better than the last time Sato made a movie sequel for one of his tv shows. All in all, I would have preferred more light novel adaptations to the movie's original story, but I take fanservice-lite sci fi with female protagonists any way I can get it.

classicalzawa wrote:

I have almost all of my live-action shows and movies in DVD binders, and all of my anime stuff in their original cases on shelves. For a while, the sole exception was Pretty Little Liars, which I kept in my anime collection under the theory that "it's basically a high school melodrama anime". It's on a separate shelf now, though (sitting between a Marx Brothers collection and Space: Above and Beyond).
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The release date for the 3rd Origin volume is 5/28 I believe.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Bodacious Space Pirate series well enough, but I saw it when it came out in 2012 and I have no desire to rewatch the whole show in order to understand the movie. Does the movie reintroduce the characters well enough? The review says that you wouldn't understand the movie if you hadn't seen the series, but doesn't really mention how the movie handles the multi year gap between the series and movie.

Also, is it streaming anywhere? Foir some reason, anime movies are much harder to find streaming than TV shows, and the review doesn't mention the movie's streaming status. Thanks!
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I liked the Bodacious Space Pirate series well enough, but I saw it when it came out in 2012 and I have no desire to rewatch the whole show in order to understand the movie. Does the movie reintroduce the characters well enough? The review says that you wouldn't understand the movie if you hadn't seen the series, but doesn't really mention how the movie handles the multi year gap between the series and movie.

Nope, no character reintroduction to speak of. If you didn't watch, or don't remember, the TV series you're going to be quite lost.

As for the gap, the movie is a stand-alone story, but plot-wise only a few months, at most, have passed for the characters from the TV series. What irked me the most about the movie was that they redrew all the characters -- not a redesign, but drawn slightly differently. (I hate it when they do that kind of thing, unless a character has actually significantly aged or something.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2