• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Animated Mega Man Show Teases 1st Visual, Story, Character Lineup

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Normally I world agree with this statement, but it's "Man of Action", and their shows tend to look really cheap. Who knows? Couldn't be worse than NT Warrior.

I suggest checking out EXE if you haven't already. The dub was atrocious and the original show was quite good. Shooting Star was was pretty good too.

Mega Mini makes me think of that Inspector Gadget cartoon where Gadget had two little robot clones himself, if anyone is old enough to remember that thing. Otherwise, this cartoon looks pretty bad. Aki Light just seems like a pointless name change and ruins the music theme of the franchise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I could forgive the design...but Man of Actionaruto?

Oh no.

I hate them. Prepare for obnoxious characters, annoying comedy, zero character development, episodic plot, and slang.

I don't recall the first two seasons of Ben 10 or Generator Rex having obnoxious characters, zero character development for it's cast, annoying comedy, or slang.....do wonder though why episodic plots are supposed to be bad?
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I would relax just a bit about that image of Megaman. I've seen worse drawings in a show's pitch/development docs-- they rarely live beyond that capacity. The show is probably not even in pre-pro yet, so no actual design work has been done. It's still a bad idea to take drawings that were really never meant to be seen outside of a pitch and put them out for the public to see.

DHX is pretty much the biggest, but not necessarily the most talented, production studio for kids TV animation at the moment. It could look like one of their badly designed shows or their well designed shows, depending on who they get to design on it, and assuming design work stays in Canada at DHX.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
At least you can tell that's Mega Man, unlike "Captain N: The Game Master." Also, this version is actually a kid, unlike the Ruby Spears cartoon.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Considering some of the reactions, one would think the news was instead about Capcom proudly announcing a Megaman Pachinko machine...
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This is why I miss the hand-drawn animation from Disney...
macattack

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I don't recall the first two seasons of Ben 10 or Generator Rex having obnoxious characters, zero character development for it's cast, annoying comedy, or slang.....do wonder though why episodic plots are supposed to be bad?

I recall that. And Monsuno. And Ultimate Spider-Man (first 2 seasons). And Avengers Assemble (first season).

It doesn't matter the setting or the ages of the characters. They follow the same formula to the hilt. Obnoxious "heroes" who don't learn from their mistakes. Terrible, lowest-common-denominator comedy. No sign of a growing, overarching plot. And, worse of all, no sign of any heart or soul in anything they've ever done. Just shameless pandering to the dumbest interests of little boys.

Let's put it this way: Man of Action wrote a scene where Thor and Incredible Hulk fought over chocolate chip cookies made by Falcon's mom. And thought it was okay.

Man of Action, as a collective, are to animation what Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are to film. They are HACKS. Period.

Mega Man is doomed unless they have finally learned from what makes their series so hard to watch for anyone smarter than a seven year old obsessed with poop jokes. But I don't think they have. They have no reason to, not unless something bombs so completely they have to do a complete rethink of their philosophy. Maybe Mega Man will be that, and so might actually be good for something.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I have to say... This new character design of Mega Man (or Rockman if you will) doesn't look all that appealing to me. Plus, I have an ominous feeling that the show will be made an intolerable watch with forced-in outdated pop-culture references and lame jokes...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Let's put it this way: Man of Action wrote a scene where Thor and Incredible Hulk fought over chocolate chip cookies made by Falcon's mom. And thought it was okay.

Just like David Goyer/Chris Terrio wrote Man Of Steel and BvS to be mostly devoid of comedy and lighthearted elements and thought it was okay?
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Mega Man's design looks okay. Though I prefer something more closer to his Japanese design.

Quote:
The new animated Mega Man series focuses on a normal, upbeat schoolboy robot, who discovers that deep within his programming lies secret protocols that can transform him into the powerful Mega Man. And, as the world's first robotic super-hero, Mega Man must face the threats of Silicon City, while trying to preserve his secret identity and maintain a regular robot boy life.

Here's what I have to say about this:

1. He's now a schoolboy robot? This is starting to sound too similar to Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.

2. What's the point of giving Mega Man a secret identity and having to keep it a secret from everybody!? It's stupid! None of this ever happened in the video games, so why do it here!?

Now, I understand that Man of Action is trying to give a new take of Mega Man for the newer generation and to keep him fresh, but these changes are just, really, really unnecessary.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1. He's now a schoolboy robot? This is starting to sound too similar to Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.

Mind you the character of Mega Man was always supposed to be a "boy robot" as he has effectively been a knock off Astro-boy in his earliest incarnation.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I recall that. And Monsuno. And Ultimate Spider-Man (first 2 seasons). And Avengers Assemble (first season).

It doesn't matter the setting or the ages of the characters. They follow the same formula to the hilt. Obnoxious "heroes" who don't learn from their mistakes. Terrible, lowest-common-denominator comedy. No sign of a growing, overarching plot. And, worse of all, no sign of any heart or soul in anything they've ever done. Just shameless pandering to the dumbest interests of little boys.

Man of Action, as a collective, are to animation what Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are to film. They are HACKS. Period.

Mega Man is doomed unless they have finally learned from what makes their series so hard to watch for anyone smarter than a seven year old obsessed with poop jokes. But I don't think they have. They have no reason to, not unless something bombs so completely they have to do a complete rethink of their philosophy. Maybe Mega Man will be that, and so might actually be good for something.

The original "Ben 10" and "Generator Rex" were actually good. I don't know what you're on.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:

2. What's the point of giving Mega Man a secret identity and having to keep it a secret from everybody!? It's stupid! None of this ever happened in the video games, so why do it here!?

Because just like Sonic can team up with a band of freedom fighters to overthrow Doctor Robotnik in SaTAM despite this never being the premise of the original games it being a stand alone adaptation means they can make whatever changes to the establish canon in their own universe as they want.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll save my harsh criticism until I atleast see a trailer for the new Mega Man series even if the story is just so damn typical "a robot boy in school trying to protect his secret identity" other than the robot part we've all heard that story a million times. Rolling Eyes
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
I think the new "Mega-Man" show's going to do real well. I love it when American and Japanese animators get together. You know you're in for something truly special when they do. I hope someday there's an American version of the "Mega-Man Battle Network" games and anime. I think that would be really good. What do you guys think?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5