• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Collider Site: Live-Action Battle Angel Alita Film Casts Rosa Salazar

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I'm quite surprised this is making even the slightest bit of progress, though I'm still skeptical it will ever see the light of day.

Yeah, I didn't think this'd ever get started. I thought someone was just sitting on it and wanted James Cameron to do things other than Alita. Even he has a leash connected to executives.

Nice Tea wrote:
Hmm... in french, we call this kind of project "l'arlésienne", something you wait for but that will never come, the ghost project.

Hollywood's full of these, and it comes about through many different reasons. (Though most of the time, it's because the project is low-priority, or the project exists solely to block competitors from having it.)
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I don't think announcing the cast for the starring character before actual filming starts was a wise idea of the studio to make...

Not really. Casting beforehand is usually a means to encourage the suits to green light the project by showing the team and the lead you have willing to work together.

Another example was the Cowboy Bebop attempt that had Keanu Reeves headlining.

It's not a sure thing, but it's a tactic to help pitch the project for green-lighting. Getting a star on board goes on to help establish what you're attempting and usually indicates that that said star is enthusiastically committed to the project.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
To be fair, that was a HUGE budget. It would put it in the top 25-50 most expensive films ever made. There's no way a film from such an obscure source could ever be made for that much money. How could it make it back? You could still faithfully adapt this material for "only" $150 million and under.

Who would have every thought the movie Titanic would have made the riches that it did. Perhaps Battle Angel Alita had the budget that high because Cameron was very interested in it. Now that the shining star is stuck in Avatar orbit, Fox is renegotiating. Obscurity is not an indicator of failure. Success is determined in what is put into a movie. If you get the recipe right you are going to make bank, no matter the source material.

Well, I don't think you could make a good Battle Angel Alita movie for 20 million. Though I don't believe you really meant that low with your UNDER statement. I think anything under 120 million and you might as well not call it a Battle Angel Alita movie.

The manga takes place in the far future, with floating cities, space stations, and cyborgs everywhere. If Fox is going to cut the budget severely, you might as well call the movie, "The Toxic Avenger 8: The Love Interest".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2