• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KyoAni Award-Winning Novel Violet Evergarden Gets Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lady-leen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
I dunno why I can't love or enjoy any good anime from KyoAni!
I think it's just not my style xD
quaton

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Sometimes for the better (Free 2 seasons cause actual novel adaptation which was the movie flopped) or for the worst (Phantom World)

Sorry to disappoint you but both from a narrative point of view as well as the execution (especially the ambience, use of colors and water animation) of the High Speed! movie are exponentially better than anything Free! had to offer. If I had to compare High Speed!, it's much closer to Hyouka's atmosphere than Free!'s due to the different (and much more competent) director behind it.
Also, with nearly 700m at the box office it's far from a "flop".
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Taichi Ishidate is in helms of this project, huh. I hope that guy improved since Kyoukai no Kanata.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
Violet Evergarden is an "Auto Memories Doll," a robot made to help those who cannot write put their thoughts on paper. Throughout her life, Violet meets many people and connects many hearts together through their letters to one another. Though her time with each person is short, the bonds formed during her time with them will not easily be forgotten.

Sounds like something of a mashup of Shinigami no Ballad, Tegami Bachi and Plastic Memories.

Hmm, so should we expect something like standalone episodes that focuses on a specific's person's or persons' problems while she helps them?
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Well, that's one KyoAni novel that I can cross off the list of anime-less KyoAni novels. I'll be looking forward to this!

EDIT: After actually watching the PV, I can honestly say that this looks as beautiful as ever! Really looking forward to this now! Very Happy

Last edited by MischievousMelody on Fri May 27, 2016 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
Oh my... looks so gorgeous Shocked
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
That synopsis sounds terrible, like an average robot girlfriend kind of trash, but the addition by ultimatemegax does make it sound a little more interesting. Still not so remarkably outstanding to explain why this one would get the grand prize and any of the other ones that have been animated wouldn't, but I guess we'll have to wait to see the actual show to judge
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
Anime is one of those things where you can just look at and feel "ehh" about. But this looks good!
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
That synopsis sounds terrible, like an average robot girlfriend kind of trash, but the addition by ultimatemegax does make it sound a little more interesting. Still not so remarkably outstanding to explain why this one would get the grand prize and any of the other ones that have been animated wouldn't, but I guess we'll have to wait to see the actual show to judge

Honestly, that synopsis is just the backstory of how Violet came to be in the novel. It's literally right before the first short. I felt it didn't describe what the actual novel is like, so I wanted to add that bit to say what it's more like. I left out as much as I could so people wouldn't get spoiled, so it sounds a bit generic. (Also, I'm not a great writer) The writing style and shorts definitely are a league above the other novels (which you can't judge on the anime adaptations), so it's easy to see how this got the grand prize when you read them. It's just better on a literature scale.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:

Hibike Euphonium was one of their best works.

Amagi Brilliant Park was fairly good for what it was, much better than KnK, Chu2Koi, and Phantom World, that's for sure.

Tamako Market was nice, and the movie was amazing.

Hyouka was also wonderful.

That's a good 4 shows in the past 4 years they've done that have been great.

Hibike was good but I wouldn't say it was stellar. The animation was nice but the direction felt pretty flat to me, the characters were enjoyable enough but nothing that felt too distinct from your usual KyoAni affair. Maybe it's just the fatigue of their constant school cute x doing y settings that made me lose interest in it. There was enough to keep me entertained, but I didn't think it did enough to stand out as a KyoAni work tbh.

Amaburi too was okay, the comedy was too hit and miss and the side characters were pretty unenjoyable imo. Also I didn't think it was paced that well...not as good as Hibiki,

Tamako market was [expletive] atrocious. The movie was good because it included all the plot the series should have had, I won't let them off based on that.

Hyouka was the best series they've ever made - a good character drama with great direction(another of my complaints about Hibiki, the direction and visuals are pretty flat). Part of the reason for that is that the adaption is a carbon copy of the novel, they are pretty much exactly the same with some very minor changes here and there.

Currently KyoAni's formula for adaption is take novel + moe and it always makes the series worse. I admit to being pretty biased as Hyouka was one of the first KyoAni shows I saw and every subsequent series has tended to be a disappointment after that. Perhaps if I saw Hibike first I would feel differently, but after watching their progression of series it failed to really hook me - it was just KyoAni.

I hope that they can make Koe no Katachi a good movie though I fear for how they are going to adapt it into one movie. Again though, that's mainly because I know the source material is really good there and as long as they don't fudge around they'll do fine.

Hibike doesn't have flat direction, far from it actually and it seems like you don't understand what that really means. It's fine if you don't like them but the visual storytelling there is top notch.

Flat direction is something like what you see in any character interaction scene in the show One punch man or the last couple of Dragon ball z movies.

I agree that phantom and knk were bad shows but people say they suck without giving them a single look. Your hate for them blinds your judgement.

PD: No way in hell VE will have those visuals for a tv show.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, that was a gorgeous ad! I am seriously curious about this work and I hope to see the novel translated one day because I'd love to read it. I eagerly await for the anime!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
The PVs look gorgeous! Smile I'm really excited for what the anime show of Violet Evergarden has in store!
Kreion

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:

Hibike doesn't have flat direction, far from it actually and it seems like you don't understand what that really means. It's fine if you don't like them but the visual storytelling there is top notch.

Flat direction is something like what you see in any character interaction scene in the show One punch man or the last couple of Dragon ball z movies.

I agree that phantom and knk were bad shows but people say they suck without giving them a single look. Your hate for them blinds your judgement.

PD: No way in hell VE will have those visuals for a tv show.

Yes, it does. Hibike uses extremely standard shots and angles with animation taking the forefront rather than anything else. Compared to Hyouka it's really not that interesting to watch visually. Hyouka btw which has a less visual premise than Hibike, since that gets the excuse of music to have some really nice, fantastical scenes. But it just doesn't...even the emotional scenes are carried by the art more so than anything else. If you took Hibike and made it on a low budget I would wager it wouldn't be as interesting to watch...

Lol, I watched phantom and KnK all the way through, the last 30 seconds or so of KnK make it infinitely worse and killed any depth to the story. It was a constant clusterfuck of cute clashing with a supposedly serious story, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Phantom was even worse, it took the typical harem elements then tried to act as though it had some depth to it in an extremely ham fisted way - also from what I've heard it butchured the source material but I didn't read it so can't say to the accuracy.

I hate them because they are bad, not the other way around. KyoAni annoys me because they have so much talent in that studio and they constantly make shows which really don't do much with that budget imo. I want them to tell me interesting stories or at least interesting comedies with a heart...not soulless cash grabs. I don't mind if KyoAni keeps making shows like Free and K-On, people like them and who am I to take that from them, but if they could then also make series with a bit more to them - maybe even take a step out of the school setting for once.

Also this isn't exclusive to KyoAni, I love Shaft but still get annoyed when they make something shit or lazy.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
KyoAni Award winner doesn't exactly put it in esteemed company.
Thousands of people will disagree with this statement lol.

Based KyoAni, I don't care what anyone says. Yeah, their anime are not 10/10 amazing but if you look at them for exactly what they are, they're all fun rides for the entire duration.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
We're gonna see the winning literature of the almost-impossible-to-get Grand Prize award being animated. Nice. At least the visuals are stunning, but it's nearly impossible if they would retain this quality for 1 season or so.

It seems that there are only 2 volume of the novel, so maybe it's not going to be 13-episode anime or more.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
It seems that there are only 2 volume of the novel, so maybe it's not going to be 13-episode anime or more.

KyoAni has a history of making a single novel into a one cour show, though. Granted, it's usually half anime-original stuff, but still.
Given the apparent episodic nature of the novel I'm guessing they're going for TV anime rather than a movie, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4