• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Is All The Anime On Hulu Going?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
So... in other words, Hulu is losing the last major thing that you can watch for free. Rolling Eyes Hulu had already transitioned most of their non-anime to the Plus side a few years ago. Back when Hulu first started I used them to watch things legally all the time. The commercials annoyed me, but it was still less than cable TV plus you got the convenience of watching shows whenever. But for the last few years I've only been using them for anime. Now I apparently won't be using them at all.

I know Crunchyroll exists, but some of us prefer to wait until an anime ends and marathon a finished show instead of watching a show week-by-week. Crunchyroll sometimes loses a show not too long after it finishes airing. So you can really only rely on them for the very most recent anime.

I feel like now I'm either going to have to change my habits, by switching to watching week-by-week, or watch a LOT less anime (and I don't even watch that much compared to some people!).

Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

It's not just watching an anime for the first time for why I buy discs. I like to buy discs for anime I like so much that I want to re-watch them. With streaming rights getting shorter and shorter (for everything, not just anime), you really have to own it on disc to guarantee you still have access to it in a legal manner.

Last edited by DJStarstryker on Fri May 27, 2016 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
No one wants to be on the wrong side of the Pareto principle, I suppose.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
K wouldn't be unpopular here if Viz didn't practically hide it behind all that Shonen Jump. It's popular in Japan.

Edit: Missing Kings still says October. Hopefully we'll have discs (and dub) by then...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Is there a way to see which shows are being removed, either as a master list or as an indication on the show's page itself? I didn't see an expiration notice on the pages for shows Justin cited, like Mekakucity Actors or The Rose of Versailles.
Riddle ME that Answerman! My Shimoneta "back-door" is still open but I need to know if it will be closed soon because no one has announced a DVD release and the Funi views are likely through Hulu too! I hated Hulu's commercials and how they handled subscriptions but at least I get to watch one of my favorites for free until the DVD comes out (if ever~~~). Poor Anna, I bet the VA's estate may be "holding things up"...
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And while most of the high profile Viz titles are staying, shows like K, Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne and Coppellion are not.

And that's what Viz gets for making their entire streaming strategy, "We'll put it up on Hulu" instead of building their own service or sublicensing stuff to multiple third-parties.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
So Hulu transitioning into a live TV first-rerun format ala Sling TV and PlayStation TV spells the end of a lot of back logged stuff.

Netflix and Crunchyroll it is then. Hopefully whatever Hulu comes up with competes with Sling and PSTV.
Khooni

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
The article states that anime are disappearing from all of the publisher's catalogs. So, is everyone streamlining their stuff or is there a war going on? I read an article which said that crunchyroll has signed an exclusive deal with kadokawa for anime. Does this mean that funimation will no longer be able to license anime from them? I am really disappointed with this season's funimation dub line-up. Is it the result of the deal. I think i'm going crazy :c
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
@lavmintrose, domo arigatou gosaimasu (bow)!! It seems Shimoneta is safe from the Decency Squad for now but dang! It'll be interesting to see what happens with Eden of the East and the like as Funi "OEM's" their streams for some shows through Hulu.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Sigh, so I'm glad I have my disks ( Need to buy another set of shelves. ) for all the titles that I enjoy. Hulu was good to preview a series prior to purchase, but NO - absolutely NO - streaming service is to be trusted.

I'd drop Hulu, but my wife and sons use it for streams of various mainstream TV programs. Of course if Hulu starts dropping any of those, then....

Mark Gosdin
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
This actually makes me quite sad. If it weren't for Hulu, I would likely never have started watching anime in the first place.

It all started back in 2010, when an enormous ice storm had me trapped in a friend's house for 10 days. With nothing but the internet, I decided to watch this animated show with a short kid and his robot on Hulu, since it was free (the show turned out to be Fullmetal Alchemist).

From then I used Hulu to discover most of my favorite and foundational anime series; Claymore, Trigun, Baccano!, FMA: Brotherhood, Bleach, Kimi ni Todoke, and more; even the first couple series that disappointed me, like Moribito and GunXSword. Yes, Crunchyroll's the superior streaming source, but Hulu deciding to drop most of their anime backlog affects me emotionally more than i thought it would.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
NO - absolutely NO - streaming service is to be trusted.

That's a little harsh.

I feel like there are two types of show/fan relationships - there are the shows where you're just bursting to buy anything at all with those characters on it... and the shows you sort of like. You need discs of the first one. Preordering them as soon as they're announced isn't even optional, you've done it before you've even taken a second to think.

The second one? You don't need those discs. It's okay if you don't ever see it again. In five years, it'll probably be better as a memory.

I think people in the digital era need to learn to let things go. Try going to the theater - you can't buy a DVD of that (except nowadays you can, a lot - but not always. Not with the exact cast you saw, not the exact way that one person sang that note, etc.)

The issue is when the first group of fans don't get that respect from the publishers (e.g. there *are* no discs).
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I know what I'm going to be doing over the next four days.

Hulu is where I started watching anime (with AoT), but lately I haven't really watched anything there at all, at least not since the Chivalry of a Failed Knight and K: Return of Kings simulcasts ended. Crunchyroll and Funimation are just a lot better.

There are a few shows that are only on Hulu (e.g. Alien Nine), and I've been procrastinating on watching them, but I guess now is the time...
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone who has Hulu Plus know if these titles are going away entirely or if they are just becoming "Plus only"?
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
NO - absolutely NO - streaming service is to be trusted.

The second one? You don't need those discs. It's okay if you don't ever see it again. In five years, it'll probably be better as a memory.

I think people in the digital era need to learn to let things go. Try going to the theater - you can't buy a DVD of that (except nowadays you can, a lot - but not always. Not with the exact cast you saw, not the exact way that one person sang that note, etc.)

The issue is when the first group of fans don't get that respect from the publishers (e.g. there *are* no discs).

...what? Discs aren't as popular now, because there is so many ways to obtain material. A nice little opinion there, but the digital age is also a "want to watch something at any given point" which can still include discs. And yes, everything in theaters can be purchased WITHIN A FEW MONTHS. Going back 20-30 years years ago, you can to wait a year or more to buy something on video.

So, just because you feel that way, everyone should just watch something once and be all "gee that was a nice experience as a one-time viewing!" You do know that multiple views for some shows actually can uncover more layers and meaning to shows to people, right?

Wasn't planning on posting to this topic, but this answer here just... I don't get it.
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Viewster is an almost unknown free, legal streaming site that has been picking up a lot of back catalog titles. I like it for Yuri titles - they have Sweet Blue Flowers and Strawberry Panic! among others.

So if the usual sites don't have it, there's still one other option. Try Viewster. If they don't have it...then yes, you're out of luck. Anime smile;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6