• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Is All The Anime On Hulu Going?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs.

And also why long time collectors like myself think VERY LONG AND HARD before purging their collections of titles. Like many others I don't have a Hulu for anime to begin with. It's a nice bonus but not the reason you get it. You get it for the tv just as you get Amazon prime for the shopping and discounts. The only major thing keeping my gf and I on Netflix is she gets her foreign K and J drama shows and I get my old movies & ever growing list of stand up specials produced by Netflix. Again, the anime is just a bonus. It sucks Hulu is doing this but I can't fault them for doing what they feel they need to in order to stay as profitable as possible.
ladybastet

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I haven't depended on Hulu but have been burned often enough by shows being removed that I definitely buy disks even if I continue to watch streaming. There are old series that I love and re-watch even more now since the more recent anime are usually not my style. many of them are also out of print so disks are essential.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Real shame. Hulu had better quality on certain shows compared to other sources. Madoka for example was a blurry mess on Netflix no matter what I did, but Hulu it was perfectly fine.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well there goes my hopes of them picking up The Seven Deadly Sins....if I'm not mistaken no legal streaming site has it for some odd reason, and when it was airing even the fansubs sucked so I never got around to seeing it.

This is very disappointing news, before this I'd actually prefer Hulu over Crunchyroll except for the lack of a lively comments section, there was just less fuss and cleaner formating in my opinion (my laptop hates crunchyroll lol), and they were picking up a lot of neglected titles for a time. Sad
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
And that's why it is important for me to find another way to watch my favorite series without the possibility of it to be taken down.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Well there goes my hopes of them picking up The Seven Deadly Sins....if I'm not mistaken no legal streaming site has it for some odd reason, and when it was airing even the fansubs sucked so I never got around to seeing it.

The show is on Netflix.
99machinders

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Could never stand Hulu just from an internet streamer standpoint. Play issues and their ad amounts always turned me off. This is just another reason to never use their services.

But honestly if you're an anime fan who has spent at least 5 minutes on the internet you should be able to find a place to watch anime that comes off better than Hulu.

Netflix suprising has a good selection plus they do have cool exclusives then I use crunchyroll and funimation and as a last resort hopefully if i cant find what I want I go to youtube. I always want the disk so I shop for the film or series first on disk.Im a collector.Ill watch an anime many times
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs.

And also why long time collectors like myself think VERY LONG AND HARD before purging their collections of titles. Like many others I don't have a Hulu for anime to begin with. It's a nice bonus but not the reason you get it. You get it for the tv just as you get Amazon prime for the shopping and discounts.

Anyone old enough to have been a VHS early-adopter in the mid-80's?
The one thing you always thought when taping your geek-favorite show or guilty-pleasure movie, even if it wasn't on tape and you had to set the timer yourself, was "I'm preserving it for posterity in case of the Apocalypse!"
(An earlier generation thought it was doing the same thing when it audio-taped Doctor Who episodes...Okay, I see some of you at the back, there. Embarassed )

Well, guess what, fellow old-timers--We were right all along: Dig out your library, the Apocalypse is HAPPENING, right around us. Shocked
- There are no local stations to show movies anymore (all the UHF stations that needed reruns and movies to show between baseball games are now Fox and CW, and local affiliates have all-night news to show at 2am),
- HBO shows Game of Thrones because studios won't send them movies anymore,
- Netflix shows Daredevil because studios won't send them movies anymore either,
- Warner banishes every classic old-movie to the MOD Archive because they're terrified of selling any physical disk on shelves that isn't Batman or Harry Potter (and hopes you'll use their new convenient digital Flixster instead, so they won't have to spend all that nasty money on plastic and cardboard),
- And the anime companies that used to be grateful some other site would stream their shows are now getting greedy to stream them themselves--For a nominal cost, of course.

Anime is sorting itself out nicely with the "Stream first, buy later" model--we just have to wait for the greed-fallout to settle first and a nice sufficiency of one or two major players to remain standing--but the movie Digital-vs.-Physical War at the moment is facing a big, big bubble that's about to pop. No one knows what will pop it--I'm putting my bets on what comes back from UHD's returns--but it's already cracking at the seams.
Right now, we collectors are almost literally the home-theater equivalent of the end of Fahrenheit 451, where we have to keep our disks in sanctuary for when the market finally collapses upon itself, and people wonder where they're going to get their movies anymore...

EyeOfPain wrote:
Fenrin wrote:

The show is on Netflix.

As a Netflix co-produced exclusive (via Aniplex).
And it's only Netflix's money in the show and name on the credits that will keep it from leaving if Aniplex decides to create its own streaming startup.
(Although I haven't watched the subs yet, since I still crack up at Christina Vee in the dub having Hawk go "Piggyback!Piggyback!Piggyback!" every time the group runs for it. Very Happy )

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri May 27, 2016 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Machinder99 wrote:
I like [redacted].It has everything I love old and new[...]

It's also an illegal streaming site.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Machinder99 wrote:
I like [redacted].It has everything I love old and new[...]

It's also an illegal streaming site.
One that has made tons of money through the ads, its subscription service, and blocking of Adblock. It's awful, if you're going to go that route, do torrents instead, no one profits off it. Also, it loses to even the legal services in video quality (most of the streams [redacted] has are legal streaming rips).

It absolutely disgusts me how big it's become, it outranks CR in Alexa rank, and will crack the top 400 US sites soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, BigOnAnime, for posting those links with all the shows being dropped.

Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff, and much of it neither old (Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan was from last year) nor obscure (Angel Beats!, Bleach).
boznia

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Viz has posted on Twitter that all their stuff will stay on Hulu:

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/736306497718747136
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
boznia wrote:
Viz has posted on Twitter that all their stuff will stay on Hulu:

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/736306497718747136

They say that, yet InuYasha has less than 96 hours left before that show is gone from Hulu forever... Perhaps VIZ has an explanation for this...? Confused
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm old enough to remember TV long before the beginnings of VHS in the late 70's & early 80's. I remember being excited to see the first reruns of Star Trek and Lost in Space. There were many shows that I loved ( Daren McGavin in The Nightstalker. ) but they didn't last and you weren't going to see them syndicated any time soon then because there were too few episodes. I remember looking longingly at the old animated Lord of the Rings on VHS and being stunned by a $75 price for the tape, which was not that unusual in 1983. And our first VHS player cost us $800 from JC Penney, the thing was built better than most tanks.

In 2016 we've got a plethora of riches beyond my younger 1983 self's wildest dreams and I do appreciate it.

I still don't trust any streaming service to be up and online tomorrow, let alone have the content I'm looking for. If it's harsh so be it, the folks at Hulu have their heat suits on so it's fine to let loose on them.

Mark Gosdin

Last edited by mgosdin on Fri May 27, 2016 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6